Time to turn to Newt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:36:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Time to turn to Newt?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Time to turn to Newt?  (Read 10581 times)
Wonkish1

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »

The problem with Gingrich in my opinion isn't his affairs but his track record of utter failure in dealing with Clinton in the 1990's. He was played like a violin. Since that time, policy expertise aside, he hasn't convinced me that age has brought wisdom and discipline that he lacked at that point.

I dispute that notion. Just because that was the media narrative at that time doesn't make it true. The man affected more positive conservative change in 4 years with a Dem president than Bush and the GOP did with 6 years and practically complete control of government.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2011, 01:15:57 AM »

Santorum, bless his heart, has withdrawn his candidacy, according to reliable sources.  He seems to have more common sense than most of this lot.

Care to share with us what these sources are?  Where did you get this information?

In keeping with my policy of full disclosure, I apologize.  I misspoke.  I got Santorum mixed up with someone else.

However, I am confident that Santorum will do the right thing, the inevitable thing, and withdraw from the race in the not too distant future.   
Wonkish1

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2011, 01:20:19 AM »

Santorum, bless his heart, has withdrawn his candidacy, according to reliable sources.  He seems to have more common sense than most of this lot.

Care to share with us what these sources are?  Where did you get this information?

In keeping with my policy of full disclosure, I apologize.  I misspoke.  I got Santorum mixed up with someone else.

However, I am confident that Santorum will do the right thing, the inevitable thing, and withdraw from the race in the not too distant future.   

Who?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2011, 01:27:33 AM »

My fellow Republicans, I know this is not going to be easy for many of you, however, we must resign ourselves to the inevitability of a Romney Presidential candidacy.  

Perry can't name three government departments in a row he wants to cut.  How on earth can he be expected, for example, to assimilate a diversity of viewpoints put forward in a meeting of the National Security Council and make the crucial decisions expected of the leader of the free world that could involve the lives of thousands, even millions, of people?

Cain is a serial sex offender and consummate liar, and America does not need a President who is incapable of telling the truth.

Bachmann, off to a good start, has faltered bacly, is no longer taken seriously, and is viewed mainly now as a right wing crack pot.

Paul, nice man, but his libertarian views will not attract nationwide support, and he is destined to remain in the minor leagues.

Gingrich, brilliant, but he can't even hold his campaign team together, let alone the nation.

Huntsman, will never rise above single digits.

And so I say to Republicans and Americans everywhere, let us march together boldly into the future, let us swallow our pride, let us set aside the animosities and discord that have vexed us in the past, let us embrace the Romney candidacy, I realize some not as enthusiastically as others, and let us, under the dynamic, competent, far sighted Romney leadership, build a new America, a peaceful America, a prosperous America, because Mitt Romney is truly the one prepared and the one capable, to once again restore America's greatness, and to repair the damage done to this nation during the Obama years.

Thank you for your time, and may God bless America.

1) I'm not going to take advice from someone that seems intent on anointing a candidate now vs. believing a candidate should *earn* their primary win in a few months.

2) Clearly you don't have a clue as to what things have occurred in the Gingrich campaign so why should we take you seriously on why he is disqualified from a reasonable contender.

3) How do you think its a good idea as a Romney supporter to point out why all the other candidates suck instead of pointing out why Romney offers a better alternative?

As much as I like Newt, in many ways, the fact is, he did lose his campaign staff, at one time, and had to rebuild.

Romney's record of positive accomplishment and proven leadership speaks for itself.  Romney is a political giant amongst a field of political midgets.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2011, 01:31:13 AM »

My fellow Republicans, I know this is not going to be easy for many of you, however, we must resign ourselves to the inevitability of a Romney Presidential candidacy.  

Perry can't name three government departments in a row he wants to cut.  How on earth can he be expected, for example, to assimilate a diversity of viewpoints put forward in a meeting of the National Security Council and make the crucial decisions expected of the leader of the free world that could involve the lives of thousands, even millions, of people?

Cain is a serial sex offender and consummate liar, and America does not need a President who is incapable of telling the truth.

Bachmann, off to a good start, has faltered bacly, is no longer taken seriously, and is viewed mainly now as a right wing crack pot.

Paul, nice man, but his libertarian views will not attract nationwide support, and he is destined to remain in the minor leagues.

Gingrich, brilliant, but he can't even hold his campaign team together, let alone the nation.

And so I say to Republicans and Americans everywhere, let us march together boldly into the future, let us swallow our pride, let us set aside the animosities and discord that have vexed us in the past, let us embrace the Romney candidacy, I realize some not as enthusiastically as others, and let us, under the dynamic, competent, far sighted Romney leadership, build a new America, a peaceful America, a prosperous America, because Mitt Romney is truly the one prepared and the one capable, to once again restore America's greatness, and to repair the damage done to this nation during the Obama years.

1) I'm not going to take advice from someone that seems intent on anointing a candidate now vs. believing a candidate should *earn* their primary win in a few months.

2) Clearly you don't have a clue as to what things have occurred in the Gingrich campaign so why should we take you seriously on why he is disqualified from a reasonable contender.

3) How do you think its a good idea as a Romney supporter to point out why all the other candidates suck instead of pointing out why Romney offers a better alternative?

Romney's record of positive accomplishment

Like Romneycare?
Wonkish1

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2011, 01:49:17 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2011, 01:53:01 AM by Wonkish1 »

As much as I like Newt, in many ways, the fact is, he did lose his campaign staff, at one time, and had to rebuild.

Romney's record of positive accomplishment and proven leadership speaks for itself.  Romney is a political giant amongst a field of political midgets.

You talk like a campaign operative though I doubt you are one.

Reagan fired most of his top campaign staff in 1980 because they didn't get along. Newt told these guys that he wouldn't run the type of campaign they wanted and said if they didn't like that they can leave...well they left. Newt has said there is only 1 person he regrets losing and that is Rick Tyler who has been with Newt for years.

But I don't exactly get how Newt losing some of his staff several months ago has any ramifications on anything today.

I could just as easily say that Romney got his @$$ handed to him in 2008 and had to rebuild. The point is so.....!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »

It's not true unless Winfield has some secret source.

Didn't Phil or someone else say a couple of months ago that Santorum was dropping out based on "reliable sources"?

That was Vander blub, pretending to be Phil.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2011, 09:38:06 AM »

There are some pretty big scandals in Gingrich's past...

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2011, 09:45:07 AM »

I miss that magazine.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »

There are some pretty big scandals in Gingrich's past...

Hmmm... are we sure Newt isn't an alien?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2011, 11:06:46 AM »

The problem with Gingrich in my opinion isn't his affairs but his track record of utter failure in dealing with Clinton in the 1990's. He was played like a violin. Since that time, policy expertise aside, he hasn't convinced me that age has brought wisdom and discipline that he lacked at that point.

he got Clinton to sign huge portions of the (R) agenda into law.
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2011, 11:50:46 AM »

Wow. You people would support Obama before you resorted to Romney.

Some Ron Paul supporters are considering supporting Obama to teach the GOP a lesson for its pandering to unconstitutional ideology; however, it is more than likely they will just write-in Paul. I don't think many of them can stomach voting for Obama.
Wonkish1

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2011, 12:28:28 PM »

No $hit!! And if Lewinsky wouldn't have broke what Newt had convinced Clinton to give us in 98 would have made Clinton one of the more favorite presidents of the GOP and the left would ing hated the guy!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2011, 12:59:01 PM »

No $hit!! And if Lewinsky wouldn't have broke what Newt had convinced Clinton to give us in 98 would have made Clinton one of the more favorite presidents of the GOP and the left would ing hated the guy!

the GOP would still hate him, of course, as they feel they have a birthright to the White House since the time of Reagan or so.  but, yes, if what you're alluding to is the partial privatization of Social Security.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2011, 01:09:36 PM »

I wouldn't worry -after Newt Gingrich has his month of fame before imploding like all the others before him, Phil will return to Rick Santorum before finally forcing himself

Maybe learning to read the posts would serve you well. I wouldn't "return" to Santorum since I never "left." I'm still voting for him. I've been consistent on that.

Wait, so the Christie phase just never happened, then?

Roll Eyes

How many times does this have to be said? I said during the "Christie phase" that I would still vote for Santorum out of loyalty. I was never not voting for Santorum. I wanted Christie to run and would have supported him but was always going to vote for Santorum. I made this very clear on multiple occasions. I'm sorry that some people aren't great with reading comprehension.
Wonkish1

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2011, 07:00:27 PM »

the GOP would still hate him, of course, as they feel they have a birthright to the White House since the time of Reagan or so.  but, yes, if what you're alluding to is the partial privatization of Social Security.

And with it a voucher option for Medicare.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2011, 07:15:56 PM »

So did McCain in 2008 IIRC.  It's still too early to anoint Mitt as the Republican standard bearer.  Despite what keeps happening to the flavors of the months, he never gains from it.  Mitt is the front-runner and likely GOP nominee, but it is absolutely not inevitable.  Nor is it inevitable that Newt will end up being the one who becomes the final Anti-Mitt.  Rick still has a shot at that title, tho he'll need Newt to stumble as all the others have before.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2011, 09:01:24 PM »

Romney's record of positive accomplishment

Like Romneycare?

Like turning a $650 million shortfall into a $700 million surplus during his term as Governor of Massachusetts.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2011, 09:08:10 PM »

Who?

Perry.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:07 PM »

Who?

Perry.

Source?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2011, 09:32:39 PM »

Who?

Perry.

Source?

The most reliable source anywhere.  See page 1.  Smiley

Now I know there are other interpretations of that statement, however, how could anyone question the validity of anything coming from that particular source?  Smiley 
Wonkish1

« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2011, 11:17:22 AM »

Now I know there are other interpretations of that statement, however, how could anyone question the validity of anything coming from that particular source?  Smiley 

Actually it looks more like the signs of a guy just caught in a blatant lie who is trying to make up a different one to cover up for the first.

Again how is it that I should even take you seriously?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2011, 05:43:23 PM »

Actually it looks more like the signs of a guy just caught in a blatant lie who is trying to make up a different one to cover up for the first.

Well, you are dead wrong, however, say and think as you please.

I could care less.                     
Wonkish1

« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »

I could care less.                     

So you know for a fact that Perry's campaign is folding up shop?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2011, 06:49:44 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2011, 06:52:12 PM by Winfield »

The most reliable source anywhere.  See page 1.  Smiley

Now I know there are other interpretations of that statement, however, how could anyone question the validity of anything coming from that particular source?  Smiley  

I could care less.                      

So you know for a fact that Perry's campaign is folding up shop?

Did you not read the reference I had given as my source?  The initial entry of this thread, page 1, by Keystone Phil, "Perry decided to abandon his campaign tonight," clearly a reference to his disastrous debate performance.  I took this a reference that Perry was withdrawing.

I admit  this has become a misunderstanding.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies