Time to turn to Newt?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:11:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Time to turn to Newt?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Time to turn to Newt?  (Read 10627 times)
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2012, 12:23:52 PM »
« edited: January 13, 2012, 12:27:32 PM by Joementum »

I see jmfcst is on board. Sorry for the Cain Train pun. Anyway, back to the point: is it time to turn to Newt? Perry decided to abandon his campaign tonight and Cain seems a little preoccupied these days. While I'd love to see Santorum step into the role of the "Anti Romney," Newt seems far better positioned to do so.

I can't believe it's happening but I might just have to support the guy.

This makes a lot more sense to me now than it did 2 months before Iowa.  There's one week until South Carolina.  Romney winning it escalates his momentum to the nomination.  A slew of new polls show Newt moving into a much stronger position than Santorum to stop Romney from sweeping the first 5 contests.  Maybe Santorum should bow out ahead of South Carolina and accept the country's thanks for being the guy who finally proved the Iowa caucus irrelevant.

EDIT: Alternatively, Santorum could unleash attacks on Newt hoping to reverse their SC poll standings with a week to go, but it comes with the obvious risk of helping Romney break away.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »

I see jmfcst is on board. Sorry for the Cain Train pun. Anyway, back to the point: is it time to turn to Newt? Perry decided to abandon his campaign tonight and Cain seems a little preoccupied these days. While I'd love to see Santorum step into the role of the "Anti Romney," Newt seems far better positioned to do so.

This makes a lot more sense to me now than it did 2 months before Iowa.  There's one week until South Carolina.  Romney winning it escalates his momentum to the nomination.  A slew of new polls show Newt moving into a much stronger position than Santorum to stop Romney from sweeping the first 5 contests.

I think the GOP electorate is about to boil over with anger.  Anger about potentially facing a Romney nomination.  Anger with the cowardly way the couple of dozen GOP big names stayed out of the contest.  Anger at the establishment for endorsing a candidate who is so vague, it threatens the very purpose of having a political party.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2012, 12:37:04 PM »

This makes a lot more sense to me now than it did 2 months before Iowa.  There's one week until South Carolina.  Romney winning it escalates his momentum to the nomination.  A slew of new polls show Newt moving into a much stronger position than Santorum to stop Romney from sweeping the first 5 contests.

I think the GOP electorate is about to boil over with anger.  Anger about potentially facing a Romney nomination.  Anger with the cowardly way the couple of dozen GOP big names stayed out of the contest.  Anger at the establishment for endorsing a candidate who is so vague, it threatens the very purpose of having a political party.

They could, you know, just stop voting for him in these contests. That would help.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2012, 12:38:55 PM »

They could, you know, just stop voting for him in these contests. That would help.

SC decides the GOP nomination, not IA or NH.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2012, 12:41:28 PM »

How did McCain do in SC?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2012, 12:44:07 PM »

IIRC, McCain lost in SC to Bush in 2000, and then McCain won SC in 2008.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2012, 01:44:09 PM »

The problem is, the base has too many dogs in the fight. Newt, Perry and Santorum are splitting the conservative vote and letting Mitt win by default. What would have happened if Bachmann, Gingrich, or Perry hadn't even been in Iowa at all? There's no way Romney would have won.

It looks as if the same thing is about to happen all over again in SC.

Across this forum, you and Keystone Phil have traded barbs over which candidate should be the conservative standard bearer, when you and your peers should have already unified behind somebody. You hate the fact that some better conservative had months to get in the damn race but didn't, when you guys had months to get your sh*t together and just choose someone.

Don't blame the establishment, blame yourselves.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »

The problem is, the base has too many dogs in the fight. Newt, Perry and Santorum are splitting the conservative vote and letting Mitt win by default. What would have happened if Bachmann, Gingrich, or Perry hadn't even been in Iowa at all? There's no way Romney would have won.

It looks as if the same thing is about to happen all over again in SC.

Across this forum, you and Keystone Phil have traded barbs over which candidate should be the conservative standard bearer, when you and your peers should have already unified behind somebody. You hate the fact that some better conservative had months to get in the damn race but didn't, when you guys had months to get your sh*t together and just choose someone.

Don't blame the establishment, blame yourselves.

I'd run myself if I had the resume.  the GOP establishment are such cowards, and Paul Ryan is a puss.  he is, after all, whom the GOP wanted all along for a nominee.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:37 PM »

Not exactly true. SC went for Reagan in 76. Technically New York has been more accurate than SC, picking the winner since 1972. I am sure there are other states as well that go back further than 1980, the year SC began its streak.

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2012, 02:16:13 PM »

Not exactly true. SC went for Reagan in 76. Technically New York has been more accurate than SC, picking the winner since 1972. I am sure there are other states as well that go back further than 1980, the year SC began its streak.

I think Florida also has a streak of picking the winner going back to 1976.  In any case, correlation is not causation.  South Carolina always goes for the guys who's already the national frontrunner at the time of the primary, and the GOP always nominates the early frontrunner.  Doesn't necessarily mean that the one causes the other.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2012, 02:17:55 PM »
« Edited: January 13, 2012, 02:21:18 PM by دعا ,يدعو »

Too late for an Anti-Romney.

That's what you get when you can't choose one strong candidate in time.

Not exactly true. SC went for Reagan in 76.

Wrong. Before 1980, there were SC Republican conventions, not primaries. And since primary replaced convention, no one won GOP nomination without winning SC primary.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2012, 02:34:15 PM »

That's what you get when you can't choose one strong candidate in time.

we didnt have one strong candidate to choose from.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »

Does not follow. South Carolina isn't a magical predictor of who'll win the nomination, it just comes after a lot of the tertiary candidates are gone and provides momentum to the (likely) victor. Even then, I can't recall an instance where a candidate won NH and IA but lost the nomination in either party.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »

Does not follow. South Carolina isn't a magical predictor of who'll win the nomination, it just comes after a lot of the tertiary candidates are gone and provides momentum to the (likely) victor. Even then, I can't recall an instance where a candidate won NH and IA but lost the nomination in either party.
  No GOP candidate has ever won both IA and NH...but, no GOP nominee has ever lost SC primary.  SC is much more reflective of the national GOP party than IA or NH.

And I agree that if Mitt wins SC, it's over.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »

I, for one, think the GOP should let Romney "have his turn" now.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »

No GOP candidate has ever won both IA and NH...but, no GOP nominee has ever lost SC primary.  SC is much more reflective of the national GOP party than IA or NH.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republican_Party_presidential_primaries,_1976
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »

sorry, not catching your point.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2012, 03:45:13 PM »

sorry, not catching your point.

Ford won both IA and NH, and lost SC.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2012, 03:53:26 PM »

not in the current format
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »

Well, things can change.

For example, Romney has already won New Hampshire and (arguably) Iowa. Thus, according to you, he is an impossibility and thus the results of South Carolina will result in something strange and unknowable.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2012, 05:33:20 PM »

For example, Romney has already won New Hampshire and (arguably) Iowa. Thus, according to you, he is an impossibility and thus the results of South Carolina will result in something strange and unknowable.

never said it was an impossibility, just that SC primary is a fare better bellwether than either IA or NH, simply because SC is far more representative of the overall GOP.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2012, 06:16:21 PM »

never said it was an impossibility, just that SC primary is a fare better bellwether than either IA or NH, simply because SC is far more representative of the overall GOP.

Southern Republicans are more representative of the party than the evangelicals, moderates, independents AND fiscal cons?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2012, 07:49:01 PM »

Southern Republicans are more representative of the party than the evangelicals, moderates, independents AND fiscal cons?

South Carolina's GOP is a mixture of the main strands of the national GOP.  We've got evangelicals in the upstate, fiscal conservatives in the midlands, a smattering of libertarians and businesspeople in the low country, with an overlay of military hawks pretty much everywhere.  We aren't Mississippi thank goodness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies