The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:50:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Official South Carolina/CBS News/National Journal GOP Debate Thread  (Read 24979 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: November 12, 2011, 08:22:05 PM »

Yay I get to watch a debate for once. Cheesy

Cain did well on the first Iran question in terms of showing some depth, he clearly has been reading up on the subject.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:25:06 PM »

Rick Perry calls for zero based budgeting on foreign aid.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 08:33:36 PM »

Because foreign aid is such a massive portion of the budget that it needs to be mentioned as a big topic.

It is a foreign policy debate, not an economics and budget debate and to the extent that it provides leverage or impacts our foreign policy, it sounds like a very legitimate topic in such a debate. And considering we have had a million debates largely focused on the economy (with good reason), I think it reasonable for their to be one largely focused on defence.

Immigration commercial by numbersUSA is playing. Is that the same one people were talking about previously?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 08:35:50 PM »

Newt refuses to evaluate Romney's willingness to change Washington.

He has made giving the finger to the moderator a legitimate practice, which is a positive improvement.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 08:51:26 PM »

Romney: Open Trade but they must play by the rules.

Interesting Huntsman is trying to get leverage over Romney by declaring this to be protectionism.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 08:56:08 PM »

The irony about Huntsman stance is that, if followed, it will do more harm to the free trade by turning more Americans against it. And eventually, you will have real protectionism enter the debate, and it would win big. If anyone is playing politics on this issue, in my opinion, it is Huntsman.

North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 09:04:23 PM »

Screw NCIS I want to the see the debate. Sad
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 09:06:49 PM »

lol, don't think I would have gone there if I could. I am using dial up.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 09:12:54 PM »

Perhaps I watching something else, but I didn't see much gleefull or giddyness about sending troops in the combat.  There are some candidates who are willing to do it if they judge necessary and others who wouldn't see such as necessary. But no one is say yea lets slaughter Iran, just like it would be unfair to say that Paul would let some enemy march in the streets in of NY if they wanted.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 09:14:39 PM »

I love how people who never served in combat can be so cavalier in starting wars, and sending other peoples children to be possibly killed
The government is dominated by Chickenhawks...

Amen to that!  Pisses me off when Mr. Five-DeferMITT talks all tough. Hey Mitt- I fought, You didnt

Unless you want to require military service to be prerequisite to the run for President, it is kind of an unfair standard to say only candidates who are veterans can take a stance on certain issues.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »

I love how people who never served in combat can be so cavalier in starting wars, and sending other peoples children to be possibly killed
The government is dominated by Chickenhawks...

Amen to that!  Pisses me off when Mr. Five-DeferMITT talks all tough. Hey Mitt- I fought, You didnt

Unless you want to require military service to be prerequisite to the run for President, it is kind of an unfair standard to say only candidates who are veterans can take a stance on certain issues.

I want military service to be compulsary for all citizens

In that case, you would have a situation where politicians would be more concerned with politics then national security interests when making tough decisions. The spectre of a 1960's situation would loom over their decision making.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:48:57 PM »

You see the media is like a machine and Reps aren't supposed to be Presidential candidates and thus they weren't programed in, so they are designated as Senators, instead. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »

Good heavens Wonkish, the man might have legitimate reasons for holding that position, especially considering his experience. And if they weren't well thought out, it always a stronger strategy to let them put them forward first and then if they are, most would come to that conclusion on their own. By bringing it up first you run the risk of "being told" and simultanesouly having the focus shift to you and your style rather then the issue of compulsory military service.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 01:20:29 AM »

First of all to Chairman Sanchez, I am a proud veteran of the United States Navy, not the Army. Then again you're probably among the naive majority who thinks "army" and "military" are synonyms...

As for Wonkish1...
I do not want to elaborate much on my time in Vietnam or the Navy as I don't want to 1) brag 2) bore you with details 3) relive some of the horrors I saw. Suffice it to say that I know the tragedy that war is and the effects combat can have on a person.  This discussion began with criticism of chickenhawks who send kids to war because THEY haven't thought it out as they have no lived through it. I assure you that any sentiment or belief I have regarding war or the military is more thought out than you could ever imagine.  Your rejection of my view as "stupid" and "not thought out" is immature and innaccurate.

Your views about the economic effects are precisely why I support it.  I disagreed with some others about this earlier but I look at Isreal as a model in many ways, their military as a perfect example. Do you ever wonder why Isreal is EXTREMELY productive for its small size? Why they have the percapita highest number of startups? Why they invent so much technology for military, health, agriculture, etc? Its because of the training and experience their ENTIRE citizenry has in the military.  Familiarization with technology translates into the real world, as my naval construction experience allowed me to have a long and successful career in construction of homes.

Imagine if every citizen at age 21 left the military with very high proficiency in math, science, engineering, etc. On top of that he / she had special skills that are applicable to work, and had the discipline and work ethic instilled by the military AND skills in health, fitness, dieting.  Of course, I also believe everyone should contribute to our national security by serving as it is the right thing to do, but the reasons above are some of the many benefits it would have for our nation's economy.

See Yankee the crux of this issue is economic not military(hence his military experience isn't all that pertinent to the discussion).

I didn't say it was either in relation to his experience. I said that in view of his experience, people would have a very negative view of you questioning his depth of thought on this issue.

As to this statement itself, I fail to see how the crux of any issue relating to mandatory military service is not a military issue. Tongue Sure there can are economic effects, but it is by defination an issue concerning the military.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 01:25:22 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2011, 01:26:58 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I am sure any red blooded patriot would claim their country is more technology advanced because they do X. You could probably find some poor indoctrinated soul in North Korea who would attest to such. In order judge something like that, you have to have more objective criteria and analysis.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 01:52:55 AM »

Is there a law that says he can't argue for it because of both? Your post seems to indicate he has to choose between the two as why it should be put in place.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 02:37:46 AM »

Is there a law that says he can't argue for it because of both? Your post seems to indicate he has to choose between the two as why it should be put in place.

There can only be 1 "crux of any issue".

A phrase which you first used and clarence never did, that I remember. He has put his main emphasis on economic benefits, but he has in no way limited himself to just that as a justification for doing so that I have seen, in my opinion.

A person can have as many equally important reasons for supporting something as they want.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 02:39:51 AM »

Why do the skills or attributes that are acquired from military service have to be career specific to benefit someone in a certain occupation?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies