Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 30, 2014, 10:08:36 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  The Great Nordic Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Print
Poll
Question: Will Iceland and Norway ever join the EU?
Iceland, but not Norway   -7 (10.8%)
Norway, but not Iceland   -6 (9.2%)
Both   -24 (36.9%)
None of them   -28 (43.1%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: The Great Nordic Thread  (Read 13514 times)
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: June 07, 2014, 04:34:49 pm »
Ignore

First Danish poll (from Gallup) after Lars Løkkes survival is quite good for the Liberals - all things considered. Its a Liberal-SD tie with DPP not far behind, but it looks like their Euro-wave might be declining.

The government and left wing is at 46,1% combined, while the centre-right is at 52,6% (or 53,3% if you include the Christian Democrats).

Its the first poll in a very long time where SF/SPP is above the Red-Greens. Actually SF is now only 1,1% below the election result. If SF survives the "getting into government and out again"-experience without losing voters this will be a major triumph for new SF-leader Pia Olsen Dyhr.

Conservatives and Liberal Alliance have been unable to profit from the Liberal crisis, which shows just how far the Conservatives are from their previous status as one of the two big centre-right parties. Since there is virtually no ideological difference between Cons and Libs these days, it should have been possible for them to capture at least 2-3 percentage points of critical Liberal voters.

SD: 22,4%

Social Liberals: 8,7%

Conservatives: 5,5%

SPP: 7,9%

Liberal Alliance 4,3%

Christian Democrats 0,7%

DPP: 20,9%

Liberals : 21,9%

Red-Greens: 7,1%

Where would you place Liberal Alliance? Isn't this the most right-wing party economically, despite having (some of) its "roots" in Radikale Venstre? Are LA interested in joining a centre-right govt after the next election?

LA is clearly the most economically right wing party. They don't want to join a government, since they prefer to influence it from the outside and stay ideologically pure.

A Liberal one party government is what everybody expects. Since the Liberals don't want DPP as partners (and DPP don't want to join, thinking they get more influence outside - citing the SF-experience). And Løkke has stated that he sees no point in including any of the small parties.

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
Ethelberth
YaBB God
Suriname

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 14, 2014, 05:33:56 am »
Ignore

Alex Stubb has been elected NCP leader and will be new prime minister.
Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2014, 09:04:52 am »
Ignore

Alex Stubb has been elected NCP leader and will be new prime minister.

Is he a native Finnish or Swedish speaker? Wikipedia seemed a bit unclear on the subject. 

Tradition is the enemy of progress.

A belief in Progress is now absolutely a traditional value.

Ethelberth
YaBB God
Suriname

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2014, 12:20:29 pm »
Ignore

Mother Finnish speaking, Father Swedish speaking. He has done his High School in Swedish.
A typical Helsinki bilingual family.
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2014, 05:14:56 pm »
Ignore

New MMR poll has the Icelandic Prime Minister Sigmundur David Gunnlaugssons Progress Party at a mere 9,5%, the lowest since april 2009.
Bright Future is getting closer to the lead with 21,8%, clearly ahead of SDA with 16,5%.

Government: 34,5%

IP 25%
PP 9,5%

Opposition: 58%

BF 21,8%
SDA 16,5%
LG 11,4%
Pirates 8,3%
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 11:00:57 pm by politicus »Logged

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35:15 am »
Ignore

So, since all sources seem to point towards the dear Gucci Helle as next in line for Van Rompuy's cushy EU job, who is likely to replace her as Prime Minister in Denmark? I don't really know who's up and coming in the Social Democratic party on your side of Öresund.

ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 15, 2014, 10:35:47 am »
Ignore

So, since all sources seem to point towards the dear Gucci Helle as next in line for Van Rompuy's cushy EU job, who is likely to replace her as Prime Minister in Denmark? I don't really know who's up and coming in the Social Democratic party on your side of Öresund.

Mette Frederiksen (36) our minister of employment, she have a lot of thing going for her, she have had the sh**ttiest ministery, she have had to implement the most unpopular policies of this government. All her dirty laundry are more or less in the open, she has apoligised for her hypocrisy in sending her children in private school, while she was against private schools a decade ago (her apoligy).

...and people still love her, in fact she's more popular than ever.

And of course she look like this.

So no one will call her something like Gucci Helle.

And she have made the right alliance in the part, so I doubt there will be a serious candidate going against her, when the party elect her.

My own opinion of her are that she's intelligent, competent and unlikely to have any skeleton in the closet. Also she has a broad appeal to the different segments who tradional vote Social Democratic. Her electoral district is Ballerup; a working class suburb to Copenhagen.  
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:24:15 am by ingemann »Logged
swl
France

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 15, 2014, 11:22:48 am »
Ignore

Is it me or heads of state/goverment in Europe are getting younger and younger? We would have three 30-something and they are quite a few in their 40s...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:25:46 am by swl »Logged
ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 15, 2014, 11:30:18 am »
Ignore

Is it me or heads of states in Europe are getting younger and younger? We would have three 30-something and they are quite a few in their 40s...

No it's not you, I personal think it's a natural effect of politician entering politic younger and younger. Of course here's it's something of a accident, the "crown princes" of the Social Democrats was Nick Hækkerup and Nicolai Wammen, who are both in their forties. But because MF have been so successful as a minister and those two less so, she have jumped ahead of them.
Lurker
Norway
View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:23 am »
Ignore

A 36-year-old prime minister would be pretty damn impressive. Would probably be the youngest Head of Government of a democratic country?

Her quotes about private schools does make her a massive hypocrite though. It's stuff like that which leads to contempt for politicians. She seems to want one set of rule for herself and another set for everyone else.
ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 15, 2014, 12:03:02 pm »
Ignore

A 36-year-old prime minister would be pretty damn impressive. Would probably be the youngest Head of Government of a democratic country?

Her quotes about private schools does make her a massive hypocrite though. It's stuff like that which leads to contempt for politicians. She seems to want one set of rule for herself and another set for everyone else.

Yes

Of course she made them in her early twenties, and when she send (first of) her children in private school, she did so after the child have gone to a public school (and from what I been told about the school from people living in the district, I understand her), and she openly told it and didn't attempt to hide it.
swl
France

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 15, 2014, 01:16:48 pm »
Ignore

The new Estonian prime minister is even younger. The three newest heads of government in the EU are Renzi (Italy, 39yo), Taavi Roivas (Estonia, 34yo) and Stubb (Finland, 46yo).

We'll probably have to wait the autumn to know whether Helle gets the job at the EU though.
Ethelberth
YaBB God
Suriname

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 15, 2014, 01:50:56 pm »
Ignore

Stubb is older than Katainen, who is the only prime minister in Finland who has been born in 70's.
Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 15, 2014, 01:58:21 pm »
Ignore

The new Estonian prime minister is even younger. The three newest heads of government in the EU are Renzi (Italy, 39yo), Taavi Roivas (Estonia, 34yo) and Stubb (Finland, 46yo).

We'll probably have to wait the autumn to know whether Helle gets the job at the EU though.

She's apperently the prefered candidate of Merkel, Renzi, and Cameron. (selfie-buddies)
It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't made official until the autumn, but it's pretty clear that she will get a new ridiculously high salary to buy all the fashionables she has ever dream of, and Denmark will get a new likable Prime Minister.  

ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 15, 2014, 02:14:32 pm »
Ignore

She's apperently the prefered candidate of Merkel, Renzi, and Cameron. (selfie-buddies)
It wouldn't surprise me if it isn't made official until the autumn, but it's pretty clear that she will get a new ridiculously high salary to buy all the fashionables she has ever dream of, and Denmark will get a new likable Prime Minister.  

If HTS was after a high paycheck she would not be PM of Denmark. She's in it for the power, as such I have no doubt that she will take the job as President of the European Council, if it's offered to her. But to suggest it's over money is both ignorant and silly. 
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: July 15, 2014, 02:16:15 pm »
Ignore

If HTS was after a high paycheck she would not be PM of Denmark. She's in it for the power, as such I have no doubt that she will take the job as President of the European Council, if it's offered to her. But to suggest it's over money is both ignorant and silly. 

Why would Cameron want HTS?

Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 15, 2014, 02:37:20 pm »
Ignore

Are you trying to channel Frank Underwood?

I'm pretty sure she won't mind either the power or having a salary higher than Obama. Mostly of course she will take the job because staying on as PM would (most likely) lead to her being thrown out next-year, and quitting while ahead by taking a secure guaranteed power position for five years is preferable to humiliation at the ballot box. I too would prefer being the President of the European Council to being leader of opposition in the Folketing salary or no salary.

I don't know. But it's pretty clear he does want her in a top EU-position.

Thorning-Schmidt's name has been whispered in the corridors of Brussels in recent months, but Kroes' backing is the first public support she has received so far, aside from British Prime Minister David Cameron, who joked recently that he wouldn't officially back her because then she wouldn't get the job.

And before Council President he was touting her as an alternative to Juncker.

No. 10 backs wife of Kinnock's son for top EU-post.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:41:28 pm by Swedish Cheese »Logged

ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 15, 2014, 02:45:13 pm »
Ignore

Pro-British politician from a country outside the Eurozone which tradional (before the British began to behave like raving lunatics) was one of usual allies of UK in EU. Yes she's more pro-Labour than Tory, but with the choices Cameron have limited himself to in EU, she's the best he can get.
ingemann
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 15, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »
Ignore

Are you trying to channel Frank Underwood?

I don't channel anything, but any politician who have made it to the first row in one of the big traditional parties, could make more in the private sector or in one of the union affiliated companies (like the big pension companies).

Also anyone who have followed her career can see she's a ruthless career politicians.

I'm pretty sure she won't mind either the power or having a salary higher than Obama. Mostly of course she will take the job because staying on as PM would (most likely) lead to her being thrown out next-year, and quitting while ahead by taking a secure guaranteed power position for five years is preferable to humiliation at the ballot box. I too would prefer being the President of the European Council to being leader of opposition in the Folketing salary or no salary.

Except I would say that right now, if she's not elected President of the Council, her chance to be reelected are rather high as the government. She can more or less just wait for the next scandal in Venstre. It doesn't look like there are any negative surprises in the economy, the unemplyment are falling, the economy are growth. So right now it's a waiting game, to see what skeletons are hiding in LLR's closet.

Swedish Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 15, 2014, 03:27:01 pm »
Ignore

Also anyone who have followed her career can see she's a ruthless career politicians.

Oh, that part, I wouldn't question for a second.

Except I would say that right now, if she's not elected President of the Council, her chance to be reelected are rather high as the government. She can more or less just wait for the next scandal in Venstre. It doesn't look like there are any negative surprises in the economy, the unemplyment are falling, the economy are growth. So right now it's a waiting game, to see what skeletons are hiding in LLR's closet.

Waiting for what exactly, voters trickling down from Venstre to DF? Because LLR's scandals so far hasn't really seemed to benefit the government much, and with Enhedslisten barking at the Social Democrats' tail it would, to use your own words, be silly and ignorant to think that President of the Council isn't a more safe job to have. Especially since HTS has barely been able to keep her dysfunctional coalition together.

I'm not saying that she couldn't possibly survive if she stayed on. There have been far greater turn-arounds for unpopular incumbant governments in recent history. But her chances would obviously be less than 50%, whereas securing this job would guarantee her five years without having to deal with bickering coalition partners, voters or digging journalists, leaving her free to tour the Union taking selfies with world leaders and getting autographs from the cast of Sex and the City.     

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout