Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 01:39:14 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Ukraine Crisis
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] Print
Author Topic: Ukraine Crisis  (Read 32670 times)
Mr Bear, King of Animals
Zanas46
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:31 am »
Ignore

Then why deploy them in the first place?
Because a good chunk of the military's hierarchy has been purged and replaced by incompetents who have just been in office for a few weeks ? And they are morons ? Yes, Krutov, I'm pointing at you...

"F**k you Lion, I'm the King !" Mr Bear

IN NATE WE TRUST
Labor Party of Atlasia
Bretzelite Cultural Marxist caucus.

That's not how the left works.  We make swords out of our enemy's iron thrones.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 17, 2014, 10:24:54 am »
Ignore

Jews in the Donetsk PR are being told to register and provide a list of all their property. Meanwhile WSJ's Paul Sonne reports from Putin's long presser that Putin said eastern Ukraine is historically part of Russia and made a lot of sympathetic noises about Yanukovych. Combined with the Russian media reports that Yanukovych will be back in Donetsk in 2 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if Putin militarily installed his puppet atop a puppet East Ukraine.

+7.35, +3.65

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 17, 2014, 10:31:17 am »
Ignore

Canada will be sending 6 Hornets to Poland and 20 officers to NATO HQ.

+7.35, +3.65

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 17, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
Ignore

Donetsk separatist leader denies responsibility for the leaflets but admits his organization was involved.

+7.35, +3.65

ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 17, 2014, 11:41:13 am »
Ignore

BBC reports Russia making calming statements about "de-escalation". This is really bad: this, probably, means invasion is going to happen really soon (whenever Puting says something seemingly informative, his intentions, usually, are exactly the opposite).
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: April 17, 2014, 11:44:36 am »
Ignore

Lavrov says a "deal" has been reached to disarm all militias. Broad national dialogue and amnesty for separatists who didn't commit capital crimes. Russia's position hasn't changed: reorder the country as we like or we'll do it for you.

+7.35, +3.65

ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: April 17, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »
Ignore

No, that is not Russian position. Russian position is: Ukraine, for the moment, is Lviv; we might talk about Kiev - but we, probably, will not give up even that. Everything else is just to waste some more time.

Of course, once they get Kiev, they will go for Lviv as well.
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1232 on: April 17, 2014, 12:10:37 pm »
Ignore

"Deal" confirmed by Kerry and Baroness Ashton.

ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: April 17, 2014, 04:29:10 pm »
Ignore

Welcome to Munich, ladies and gentlemen.

Get ready for what follows.
AG Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: April 17, 2014, 09:50:29 pm »
Ignore

Jews in the Donetsk PR are being told to register and provide a list of all their property. Meanwhile WSJ's Paul Sonne reports from Putin's long presser that Putin said eastern Ukraine is historically part of Russia and made a lot of sympathetic noises about Yanukovych. Combined with the Russian media reports that Yanukovych will be back in Donetsk in 2 weeks, I wouldn't be surprised if Putin militarily installed his puppet atop a puppet East Ukraine.

I doubt this is actually happening.

Ray Goldfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: April 17, 2014, 10:03:50 pm »
Ignore

It's happening, but the odds are it's free agents causing trouble for the local Jews, rather than any organized persecution by the government.
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: April 18, 2014, 12:34:32 am »
Ignore

It's happening, but the odds are it's free agents causing trouble for the local Jews, rather than any organized persecution by the government.

Sure. For the moment the Russian government is not doing anything against the Jews as such - as long as they are loyal. Not that it would find anything objectionable in killing Jews (or, for that matter, Russians) if it somehow were useful for whatever other objectives it establishes. At this point, though, it isn't, and in that sense Putin is no Hitler - killing Jews is not a primary objective of intrinsic value for him.
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1237 on: April 18, 2014, 04:01:10 am »
Ignore

One does wonder how much in control the Russians actually are of the pro-Russian militants.

MATTROSE94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:03 am »
Ignore

What would our response be if Russia sent troops to conquer the rest of Ukraine and Estonia?

Thankfully the 5th amendment implicitly approves of the concept of executing hoodlums.

OK
I WILL FOCUS ON WIN THE rACES
THANK YOU
YOU JUST MADE MY DAD GO BUTTER
Velasco
andi
YaBB God
Western Sahara

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1239 on: April 18, 2014, 08:32:43 am »
Ignore

It's hard to know what's really happening in Eastern Ukraine. Anyway, in this site you can find good articles:

http://theconversation.com/ukraine-clashes-raise-stakes-in-struggle-to-control-the-donbas-25772

ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: April 18, 2014, 09:40:00 am »
Ignore

I think, it is pretty safe to say, under pretty much complete control. Russian intelligence officers are deployed there in force. Make your own conclusions.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1241 on: April 18, 2014, 11:14:07 am »
Ignore

I think, it is pretty safe to say, under pretty much complete control. Russian intelligence officers are deployed there in force. Make your own conclusions.

Problem is, those intelligence officers may have read more into their orders than they may have intended.  Even if they get privately punished later for doing so, the problem is Putin will likely find it impossible to undo they have done, since in order to do so he would effectively have to capitulate to the West.  However regardless of whether forces on the ground are exceeding their orders or they are following their orders, the effect is essentially the same.

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: April 18, 2014, 11:32:23 am »
Ignore

Problem is, those intelligence officers may have read more into their orders than they may have intended.  Even if they get privately punished later for doing so, the problem is Putin will likely find it impossible to undo they have done, since in order to do so he would effectively have to capitulate to the West.  However regardless of whether forces on the ground are exceeding their orders or they are following their orders, the effect is essentially the same.

I think, given the history of that gentleman, it is pretty safe to assume that the worst orders emanate directly from him (even if they are given in a way that makes them hard to trace). Thinking up any other theory is entirely unnecessary, as it would explain nothing that cannot be explained simply by assuming that Putin behaves as Putin normally does.

In particular, it is safe to assume that there is no promise, verbal or written, that Putin has not decided to violate exactly the moment before making that promise. That is his normal operating mode. So, if he promises you anything, you should assume that he is likely planning to do the opposite (if he has already decided on any course of action), or that his actions will be in no way constraint by the promise (if he has not).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:35:07 am by ag »Logged
London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1243 on: April 18, 2014, 11:36:55 am »
Ignore

Intelligence officers can be ignored or removed from the equation... sometimes permanently.

ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: April 18, 2014, 03:28:54 pm »
Ignore

Intelligence officers can be ignored or removed from the equation... sometimes permanently.

There is exactly no evidence of that happening. And ample evidence that they are very much in control. In fact, it is going far beyond intelligence officers: a lot of the people on the ground are simply Russian soldiers pretty much in uniform, just without insignia. This is pretty much documented at this point. In fact, at least some of these people seem to be the same as in Crimea last month - they have been recognized.
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1245 on: April 19, 2014, 10:49:27 am »
Ignore

US troops are being deployed to Poland.

Also, Russia's economy was apparently already deteriorating even before sanctions were imposed

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1246 on: April 19, 2014, 12:01:28 pm »
Ignore

That has been brought up before.  It's even entirely possible Putin has caused the crisis so as to give him an excuse for the economy once it becomes more apparent that it's gone bad.

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 47 48 49 [50] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout