Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2016, 04:37:29 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
| | |-+  Remain supporters, would you have been comfortable if Remain won on the backs of
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Just London and Scotland?
Yes   -35 (81.4%)
No   -2 (4.7%)
Supported Leave   -6 (14%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Remain supporters, would you have been comfortable if Remain won on the backs of  (Read 493 times)
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2016, 11:40:07 am »
Ignore

No. The global economy clearly isn't working for a lot of people living outside of London and Scotland, particularly some of the more depressed Labour areas, and it's been this way for a very long time. Although I support Remain from afar, I'm not British and can completely understand why working class people living in these areas -- who normally would have nothing in common with the right wing of the Conservative Party-- would vote this way. It's a cry for help, a desperate appeal to finally get the attention of the elites. A Remain victory for on the back of only London and Scotland would have given said elites excuse to get ignore these "hicks" and slam the door shut on their place in a globslizing future. They said no.

Hillary's awesome work for America's future
"I feel like Paulette Revere — the recession is coming, the recession is coming!” - Hillary Clinton, April 3, 2008
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 12:07:21 pm »
Ignore

Would have been very comfortable about that, no questions at all.
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: -6.26

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 12:18:34 pm »
Ignore

Of course, that would've been perfectly fine.

Gary Johnson/William Weld '16. Ohioan Independent proud of FSU heritage masquerading as Illinoian Republican to avoid Trumpist deportation squads.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.87

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 12:22:55 pm »
Ignore

Absolutely. Are Leave supporters comfortable that Leave won on the back of non-London England - with disapproval from London, Scotland, and Northern Ireland?

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 12:28:00 pm »
Ignore

Absolutely. Are Leave supporters comfortable that Leave won on the back of non-London England - with disapproval from London, Scotland, and Northern Ireland?

Well Scotland and Northern Ireland can always leave themselves. That leaves mainly London and non-London. Of the two, Londoners already have more economic opportunity, whereas non-London has suffered more by globalization and neoliberalism. So yeah, the latter is important.

"I feel like Paulette Revere — the recession is coming, the recession is coming!” - Hillary Clinton, April 3, 2008
ag
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 12:30:00 pm »
Ignore

Well Scotland and Northern Ireland can always leave themselves. That leaves mainly London and non-London. Of the two, Londoners already have more economic opportunity, whereas non-London has suffered more by globalization and neoliberalism. So yeah, the latter is important.

Well, they will now suffer 10 times as much from their rejection of globalization and neoliberalism. I think this suffering will be good for their character Smiley

Globalization is what sustains standards of living in Britain.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 01:14:27 pm »
Ignore

No. The global economy clearly isn't working for a lot of people living outside of London and Scotland, particularly some of the more depressed Labour areas, and it's been this way for a very long time. Although I support Remain from afar, I'm not British and can completely understand why working class people living in these areas -- who normally would have nothing in common with the right wing of the Conservative Party-- would vote this way. It's a cry for help, a desperate appeal to finally get the attention of the elites. A Remain victory for on the back of only London and Scotland would have given said elites excuse to get ignore these "hicks" and slam the door shut on their place in a globslizing future. They said no.

Thinking that all of Scotland (I say all because places like Edinburgh and East Renfrewhire would have been for remain no matter where in the UK they were located) voted remain because it's a beneficiary of global capitalism, unlike the rest of England is really ignorant. A quick tour of a remain place like Dundee or Motherwell would be enough to dispel it. Scotland, all of Scotland, voted remain for much the same reason that an economic basketcase like Belfast West voted remain, an aversion to English nationalism.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2016, 07:08:50 pm by bore »Logged
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
YaBB God
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2016, 01:32:42 pm »
Ignore

I supported Bremain but now hearing all that whining of people often younger than me who clearly do not understand how referendum works I even would be not comfortable if whole country would vote on Remain because of those teenage morons.

Economic score: -4.52
Social score: +5.39
I did not see L.A.
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2016, 01:33:07 pm »
Ignore

The only Remain victory that would have made me happy would have been an overwhelming one (>60%). A close Remain result would have been the most frustrating outcome.

Admittedly, I'd feel very differently about that if I were British.

"For all those whose cares have been our concern, the work goes on, the cause endures, the hope still lives, and the dream shall never die."

-- Ted Kennedy
Illiniwek
Governor Illiniwek
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -1.57

P P

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2016, 11:42:20 pm »
Ignore

Would have been very comfortable about that, no questions at all.

Intell
YaBB God
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -2.89, S: 2.17

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:54 am »
Ignore

Yay for the Working Class suffering!

Santander
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 4.70

P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 02:13:22 am »
Ignore

Yes, and that would've taught Londoners to never take Scotland for granted again.

joevsimp

Political Matrix
E: -5.95, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 05:49:01 am »
Ignore

The only Remain victory that would have made me happy would have been an overwhelming one (>60%). A close Remain result would have been the most frustrating outcome.

Admittedly, I'd feel very differently about that if I were British.

no that's pretty much my opinion too, the damage has been done and there would be no going back to before with the anger that the Leave campaign uncorked.  We just need to put it in the past and make the best of the situation: let Scotland go, try and keep Ireland from blowing up and try to prevent everything good that's left from being destroyed =, seeing as though all the politicians in the Brexit camp seem to care about is free trade rather than the people who will suffer from it
DavidB.
YaBB God
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 4.71, S: 2.35

P P

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 07:35:29 am »
Ignore

Of course, that would've been perfectly fine.
How are you a Remain supporter?
Poo-tee-weet?
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 01:48:27 pm »
Ignore

London and Scotland winning out over everywhere else would have been a nightmare scenario both politically for the Remain camp and ideologically for me personally, so no, I would not have been comfortable.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

American liberals tend to judge everything on objective grounds.
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »
Ignore

London and Scotland winning out over everywhere else would have been a nightmare scenario both politically for the Remain camp and ideologically for me personally, so no, I would not have been comfortable.

Did you vote in the poll?

afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2016, 03:40:41 pm »

Scotophobe Cheesy

Poo-tee-weet?
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2016, 03:59:00 pm »
Ignore

Did you vote in the poll?

Just did now, yeah.

Scotophobe Cheesy

Less Scotland(-as-opposed-to-rUK) and more London(-as-opposed-to-parts-of-England-that-aren't-global-financial-hubs) that I take issue with, don't worry. Wink

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

American liberals tend to judge everything on objective grounds.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout