Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 26, 2017, 12:26:33 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash, Claude Trollo)
| | |-+  Cambodia: Hun Sen growing more autocratic, opposition leader arrested
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cambodia: Hun Sen growing more autocratic, opposition leader arrested  (Read 236 times)
Çråbçæk
CrabCake
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:22:56 pm »
Ignore

Kem Sokha, of the right-wing liberal party CNRP, was arrested at his home recently. The CNRP had a very good local election in June, so it looks like the regime is flexing its muscles and cracking down on the press, activists etc. while panicking enough to promise minimum wage hikes and social spending. Might be interesting to monitor.

]
Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 05:11:59 pm »
Ignore

Between this, the horrid genocide in Myanmar, and the military coup in Siam, I have to say that Indochina is doing well.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Al Franken 2020
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -8.09, S: -4.61

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 09:20:50 am »
Ignore

Between this, the horrid genocide in Myanmar, and the military coup in Siam, I have to say that Indochina is doing well.
This is odd considering five words before you used the right name for Myanmar. Thailand is known as "Thai" in the Thai language, so it's not like Siam is closer to the Thai people's pronounciation.

Bizarre.

Kingpoleon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 04:31:51 pm »
Ignore

This is odd considering five words before you used the right name for Myanmar. Thailand is known as "Thai" in the Thai language, so it's not like Siam is closer to the Thai people's pronounciation.

Bizarre.

I'm sorry - I read up on historical geography before I read up on modern geography. I still catch myself saying Burma sometimes.

"America now is stumbling through the darkness of hatred and divisiveness. Our values, our principles, and our determination to succeed as a free and democratic people will give us a torch to light the way." - Gerald Ford

"Good speech and good looks covers man's every vice. Plain speech and plain looks covers man's every virtue."

Economic: 1.38
Social: -2.36
Lord Halifax
Greenland

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 06:11:14 pm »
Ignore

Bizarre.

I'm sorry - I read up on historical geography before I read up on modern geography. I still catch myself saying Burma sometimes.

Which is the proper name for the country. Myanmar is what the military regime renamed it to and its still not a proper democracy, so we shouldn't use their name.
Claude Trollo
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 06:13:35 pm »

Bizarre.

Which is the proper name for the country. Myanmar is what the military regime renamed it to and its still not a proper democracy, so we shouldn't use their name.

I myself been using "Burma".

Quote from: Ambrose Bierce
“Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.”
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout