Pakistan PM Imran Khan loses no-confidence vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:05:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Pakistan PM Imran Khan loses no-confidence vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pakistan PM Imran Khan loses no-confidence vote  (Read 1476 times)
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 09, 2022, 02:56:18 PM »

Pakistan's Prime Minister Imran Khan has become the first in the nation's history to lose a no confidence vote today. Parliament was dissolved this week in an attempt to prevent such a vote form happening, but the Supreme Court of Pakistan ruled that action to be out of order. As a result, the vote went ahead today.

Supporters of Khan allege foreign involvement in his ousting, and there is the potential for the political situation to become even more chaotic as a result.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/pakistan-parliament-try-again-vote-oust-pm-khan-2022-04-09/
BigSerg
7sergi9

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 02:59:00 PM »

The army will put its puppet in office in the next few days. Undoubtedly a more pro-Western puppet.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 03:02:38 PM »

Expect Pakistan to have a higher chance to move closer to the US than farther from it, moving forward.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 03:38:27 PM »

Huge L for Putin.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 03:47:03 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2022, 03:55:41 PM by Storr »

Expect Pakistan to have a higher chance to move closer to the US than farther from it, moving forward.

Pakistan has and always will be a garbage ally.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2022, 03:51:01 PM »

Pakistan has and always will be a garbage ally. I don't want it closer to the US.

Whatever you and I think about the matter, it seems evident that is the direction we likely see  Pakistan go. (Perhaps the Administration thinks that it's better to keep Pakistan in the Western orbit because India could go more hardline anti-China than now and thus will need American assistance of some kind, or India sticking with Russia means that Pakistan is useful as a counterweight)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2022, 03:58:56 PM »

They've had coups, assassinations, and executions before.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2022, 04:15:55 PM »

Good riddance.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2022, 11:57:32 PM »

Pakistan’s future is not very bright, I don’t expect this to actually improve things.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2022, 12:00:26 AM »

The army will put its puppet in office in the next few days. Undoubtedly a more pro-Western puppet.
Based.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2022, 12:37:24 AM »

Have the privilege of being in India rn and finding out this news from one of the cable channels my aunt had on and in lieu of actual news so far it’s featured:

• A very kind highlight reel of Imran Khan’s cricket career.
  • A reel of Imran Khan getting basic geography wrong.
  • Video showing off Imran Khan not knowing physics.
  • Imran Khan insulting India by getting its population wrong.
  • A long reel about Imran Khan’s marital history.
  • An exclusive interview with Imran Khan’s second ex-wife.
  • A metaphorical cartoon(?) of Imran Khan trying and failing in cricket like he did as PM. (Didn’t quite get this one.)

Fun stuff!
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2022, 01:29:07 AM »

Well the rioting in favor of Khan has begun. I can’t believe it has come to this, but I give my critical support to the PTI against the unholy quad of Islamists, the Military establishment, mercantile libs, and rural landlords. The progressive nationalbourgeois rule of Pakistan is leagues better than the failures of the others.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2022, 04:01:26 AM »

Pakistan’s future is not very bright, I don’t expect this to actually improve things.

Pakistan hasn't had a bright future for a long time.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2022, 02:18:25 PM »

Pakistan hasn't had a bright future for a long time.
It never really was, but now it seems that their chances have turned into complete absence of light, vantablack.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 02:50:04 PM »

Protests in favor of Imran Khan erupt all across the country

https://www.dawn.com/news/1684346/freedom-struggle-protests-across-country-following-imran-khans-ouster
https://tribune.com.pk/story/2351876/pti-protests-against-foreign-conspiracy-against-imran-khan
https://www.geo.tv/latest/410740-pti-supporters-come-out-on-streets-on-call-of-imran-khan
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 03:25:40 AM »

Their attempt to stop the no confidence vote was ridiculously unconstitutional. I don't follow Pakistani politics, but Imran Khan seems like an awful person and the new government should have better policies.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 04:26:08 AM »

Even in his cricketing days, few had a higher opinion of Imran Khan than Imran Khan.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2022, 07:36:19 AM »

Well the rioting in favor of Khan has begun. I can’t believe it has come to this, but I give my critical support to the PTI against the unholy quad of Islamists, the Military establishment, mercantile libs, and rural landlords. The progressive nationalbourgeois rule of Pakistan is leagues better than the failures of the others.

Er... the PTI is a fascist party in an unusually classical sense.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 07:40:03 AM »

Even in his cricketing days, few had a higher opinion of Imran Khan than Imran Khan.

My Mother met him once, at a cricket match in the 1970s. At the time she looked strikingly like Benazir Bhutto and she recalls that he looked genuinely bewildered for a second or two before realising that she couldn't be who she looked like. She has described him as the most arrogant man she has ever met, and she's met a lot of people who work in publishing.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2022, 08:52:53 PM »

What was the stated reason for Kahn being removed? I've Google'd it but it's all about how he was removed but no telling of the stated reason why by his opposition.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2022, 10:45:12 PM »

Er... the PTI is a fascist party in an unusually classical sense.
Like in Syria, Fascists would be more preferable to stay in government then have tribal sheiks and Islamists run rampant. Finance capitalism and non-alignment would be more preferable then the alternatives.
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2022, 05:37:46 AM »
« Edited: April 12, 2022, 05:45:45 AM by Omicron-Breather »

First move of the new government: Dissolve the autonomous and constitutionally established anti-corruption agency, the National Accountability Bureau and "hold its employees accountable"

https://www.dawn.com/news/1684650/dissolve-nab-and-hold-its-employees-accountable-abbasi-tells-new-govt

The only common ground between the thieves in PDM, being able to loot without consequences.

135 PTI lawmakers have resigned from the assembly

Imran Khan to hold demonstration in Peshawar Wednesday
urutzizu
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 05:25:40 PM »

Six weeks after Imran Khan was removed, Pakistan is descending into economic collapse and autocracy:

- currency crisis, which has forced the Government to ban the import of all "non-essential" goods (to save forex, see sri lanka), widespread shortages
- Default likely, IMF talks have failed because the Government cannot politically afford to fulfill demands, especially cutting fuel subsidies
- Mass Protests and Riots by Khan supporters to force new elections, the PDM Government is brutally cracking down, held together only by its common fear/loathing of Imran Khan
- Opposition members and journalists arrested, media channels being shut down
- Capital on Lockdown, Army being called in to guard key buildings

Looks like a real bad situation, in what is a nuclear weapons country and where a large section of the population is armed. Best case scenario probably ends in either in some PDM collapse and return of Imran Khan (now even more anti-western than before), otherwise a full-fledged military coup, or worse. Difficult to avoid coming to the conclusion that removing IK at this specific time rather than waiting was a huge miscalculation by PDM (and to a certain extent the West, which was sympathetic to them).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies