Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 08:19:05 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Civil War in Syria
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Print
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 44733 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2012, 02:09:44 am »
Ignore

What do you mean?  That they don't have Chem and Bio weapons? (they certainly do) or that they wouldn't use them in this situation?...but then why have them?

Has this been confirmed by international inspectors, or do they have them in the same sense that Saddam Hussein "had" them? (in a desperate bluff to thwart another Iranian invasion)
I suppose it's possible, I seriously doubt it though.  Of course neither of us have any skin in the game.  Those that do should take the threat seriously though....no?  I'm guessing you wouldn't care if some of it fell into the hands of the Hezzys, but I'm sure those living in Tel Aviv and Beirut do though.

Of course I would not support intervention regardless of if Syria is being honest. I just don't want a self-preservation measure to be construed as a casus belli as it was for another embattled dictator 9 years ago.

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2012, 07:59:46 am »
Ignore

I'm reminded of this epic quote from Baghdad Bob:

"It has been rumored that we have fired scud missiles into Kuwait. I am here now to tell you, we do not have any scud missiles and I don't know why they were fired into Kuwait."

Weren't most of those missiles not Scuds anyway?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2012, 11:48:57 am »
Ignore

Have any mainstream news outlets picked this story up?  Because I have looked at the Washington Post and New York Times, and neither is carrying it.  Nor is Reuters.  Must be a non-conspiratorial reason why they haven't.  Perhaps the respectable publications doubt this story's veracity as I do. 

No, because mainstream media is a bunch of pigdog imperialists.  The only reliable sources are RT and Syrian state television.
Yeah, about that.
At about 6 p.m., we heard a tank on the street and men on a car who were chanting: 'Shabiha forever! With our blood and our souls, we sacrifice ourselves for you, oh Bashar!' We had never heard that before.

We were in the house, with my father in the room facing the street and everyone else in the room facing the back. At about 11 p.m., we could hear voices through loudspeakers, saying: 'All lights out! Including candles!' I went to my father in the other room. He had just heard the men standing downstairs in front of the door, and saying that they would take the women first and then kill everyone. I asked him what we should do. He said: 'Go! I'll go outside and try to stall them.'

There were 15 of us. We couldn't take Ahmed with us, because he was too sick. But we were so afraid and in such a hurry that we forgot Sarah, my 8-year-old sister. She was sleeping. When I realized that, I went back to the house with my sister-in-law. We heard the men saying: 'We want the women!' My sister-in-law said: 'There's nothing we can do. They're going to die.' She pulled me back, and we fled."
It seems they (the media) were right the first time.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2012, 02:40:46 pm »
Ignore

Regime describes battle in Aleppo as "Mother of All Battles" as Regime simultaneously struggles to regain control of Damascus.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 28, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »
Ignore

Regime describes battle in Aleppo as "Mother of All Battles" as Regime simultaneously struggles to regain control of Damascus.

They're seriously quoting Saddam circa 1990?

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 28, 2012, 05:17:11 pm »
Ignore

I think it's a reference to the original Battle of al-Qadisiyyah, and that that name is sort of a cultural touchstone that both Assad and Saddam drew on independently, not a reference to Saddam.  I could be wrong, though.

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 28, 2012, 06:01:54 pm »
Ignore

I suddenly feel better about the rebels' chances of taking Aleppo and overthrowing the regime.

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2012, 06:51:06 am »
Ignore

I think it's a reference to the original Battle of al-Qadisiyyah, and that that name is sort of a cultural touchstone that both Assad and Saddam drew on independently, not a reference to Saddam.  I could be wrong, though.

Yes, that sounds right, although WaPo also notes Old Testament references.

Still, bad precedent...

incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2012, 12:21:44 pm »
Ignore

Turkey arms the rebels with SAMs now: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/31/us-usa-syria-missiles-idUSBRE86U1T920120731

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2012, 02:08:37 pm »
Ignore

Major misstep on the FSA's part as they execute major Regime figure in Aleppo Zaino Berri.  Berri was the head of the 5,000+ member Berri clan, and the clan has pledged vengeance on the FSA, lending their weapons and support to the Regime.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: August 02, 2012, 05:39:46 pm »
Ignore

Kofi Annan has just called it quits. 

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 04, 2012, 10:48:28 am »
Ignore

Iranís Hizbullah sends more troops to help Assad storm Aleppo, fight Sunnis
The Iranian-sponsored Hizbullah has been sending fighters
to Syria to bolster the latest offensive by President Bashar Assad against
Sunni rebels.
Lebanese security sources said hundreds of Iranian-trained Hizbullah
fighters crossed into Syria to help the Assad regime quell the Sunni revolt.
The sources said the fighters come from elite Hizbullah units and were
deployed in central Syria.

ďAssad desperately needs more people to sustain operations against the rebels, and Iran is helping out, mostly through Hizbullah,Ē a source said.
On July 27, the Lebanese daily An Nahar reported that Hizbullah sent
fighters from its Unit 910, deemed a combat force, to Syria. The newspaper said members of Unit 910 were fighting together with the Syrian Army in Homs, Qusair and Rastan.
Hizbullah is believed to have deployed up to 7,000 troops in Syria.

Meanwhile, Iran TV: 48 Iranians kidnapped in Syria
Iranian state TV says gunmen have kidnapped 48 Iranian pilgrims visiting a holy site revered by Shiites in a suburb of the Syrian capital, Damascus.

The pilgrims were in a tour bus heading to the Sayeda Zeinab mosque on Saturday when gunmen seized them, according to Al-Alam TV, Iran's state-run Arabic news channel. It cited an unidentified official at the Iranian Embassy in Damascus. Iran's English-language state TV station, Press TV, blamed "terrorists" for the abduction.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 04, 2012, 10:55:01 pm »
Ignore

Meanwhile, Iran TV: 48 Iranians kidnapped in Syria
Iranian state TV says gunmen have kidnapped 48 Iranian pilgrims visiting a holy site revered by Shiites in a suburb of the Syrian capital, Damascus.

The pilgrims were in a tour bus heading to the Sayeda Zeinab mosque on Saturday when gunmen seized them, according to Al-Alam TV, Iran's state-run Arabic news channel. It cited an unidentified official at the Iranian Embassy in Damascus. Iran's English-language state TV station, Press TV, blamed "terrorists" for the abduction.

I have to wonder if this is a false flag operation intended to justify sending in Iranian "security personnel".

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. ó Khaled Hosseini
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 04, 2012, 11:03:41 pm »
Ignore

Maybe, but I don't like to jump to the false flag conclusion without a bit of proof, even if it is a lying, sh**tty state that would totally do something like that.

..and there is already more than a few Iranians fighting there, and that's not counting the Hezzys.

On that subject, it's probably good in the long run for Lebanon that the most experienced fighters are leaving their home to go die in Syria.  Maybe when all the sh**t settles, all the Xtians will leave Syria, settle in Lebanon and bring their numbers back to their historical rates.

...of course that could likely lead to another civil war in that country, which wouldn't be good for anybody (except for those selling old military gear).

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 04, 2012, 11:15:34 pm »
Ignore

On that subject, it's probably good in the long run for Lebanon that the most experienced fighters are leaving their home to go die in Syria.  Maybe when all the sh**t settles, all the Xtians will leave Syria, settle in Lebanon and bring their numbers back to their historical rates.

I can't believe you are openly advocating ethnic cleansing of Syrian Christians. I thought that was merely an unstated assumption.

Aside from the obvious moral obstacle, do you not see any unintended consequences from such an action? Is it possible that the Christian refugees might look slightly more favorably toward the Shiites that protected them from religious persecution versus the West that backed Sunni extremists that drove them out of their homeland of thousands of years?

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 04, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »
Ignore

Perhaps I didn't use my words very good there.  I'm certainly not advocating ethnic cleansing of anybody.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 05, 2012, 05:34:45 am »
Ignore

The FSA is now saying that the 48 Iranian "hostages" are actually Revolutionary Guards.  link
Al-Arabiya television aired footage on Sunday it said it had obtained from Syrian rebels of Iranians kidnapped in Damascus, in which the rebels charge the hostages are elite Revolutionary Guards.

Fighters of the Al Baraa Brigade of the rebel Free Syrian Army have  "captured 48 of the shabiha (militiamen) of Iran who were on a reconnaissance mission in Damascus," said a man dressed as an FSA officer in the video screened by the Dubai-based channel.

"During the investigation, we found that some of them were officers in the Revolutionary Guards," he said, showing documents taken from one of the men, who appeared in the background.

<snip>
In the same article, it mentions that Syria's first astronaut has left the regime, visited the rebels and then went to Turkey.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: August 05, 2012, 12:56:34 pm »
Ignore

Found a nifty little map showing the distribution of the sectarian groups within Syria, as well as parts of surrounding countries, including Turkey and all of Lebanon:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 01:00:23 pm by Frodo »Logged

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2012, 01:41:42 pm »
Ignore

I wish these maps wouldn't confuse ethnicity and religion like that re: Kurds.

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 05, 2012, 03:11:50 pm »
Ignore

Why does it show Kurds in Syria but not Turkey or Iraq?

incredibly specific types of post-punk music
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »
Ignore

Laziness probably.

Kurds are predominately Sunni (except for those that belong to that weird offshoot religion whose creation story sounds like the background plot of an anime and that Muslims accuse of being Satan worshipers...I don't think any of those are in Syria though, almost all are in Iraq) so Sunni on the map really means "Sunni Arab".
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:50:35 pm by They Move on Tracks of Never-Ending Light »Logged

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 05, 2012, 03:51:46 pm »
Ignore

Why does it show Kurds in Syria but not Turkey or Iraq?

In the case of Turkey, I don't think they keep official statistics on the "mountain Turks".  It's only recently that Turkish governments have even begin to admit that the Kurds might be something other than Turks using a local dialect.

People find meaning and redemption in the most unusual human connections. ó Khaled Hosseini
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:22 pm »
Ignore

I didn't realize that Christians actually constituted a plurality in any part of Syria; I just assumed they were an urban minority. Based on the map, the Christians might be more fortunate than I thought in that the areas in which they are predominant would most likely be absorbed into the Alawite rump state.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:36 am »
Ignore

More defections today, this time including the Prime Minister as well as other government officials.

I didn't realize that Christians actually constituted a plurality in any part of Syria; I just assumed they were an urban minority. Based on the map, the Christians might be more fortunate than I thought in that the areas in which they are predominant would most likely be absorbed into the Alawite rump state.

If the Alawites (and the Christians) elect to become part of Lebanon, the government there is going to want to consider renaming itself 'Phoenicia', considering just how much of the historical territory of ancient Phoenicia an extended Lebanon will cover:

SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
YaBB God
Latvia

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2012, 12:14:03 pm »
Ignore

More defections today, this time including the Prime Minister as well as other government officials.

If the Alawites (and the Christians) elect to become part of Lebanon, the government there is going to want to consider renaming itself 'Phoenicia', considering just how much of the historical territory of ancient Phoenicia an extended Lebanon will cover:

Looks like Ralph Peters was eerily precognitive

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout