Civil War in Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:11:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 208069 times)
danny
Israel

« on: February 05, 2012, 04:53:08 PM »

Big guns aren't as useful when the people that are supposed to operate them keep defecting.
danny
Israel

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 04:59:06 PM »

They'd much rather do it on their own.
Not really, they seem to be quite supportive of foreign intervention.
But they are not going to get it, so they will have to do it alone.
danny
Israel

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »

A mortar attack from Syria killed 5 Turks, Turkey has responded by bombing Syria. This could be a big turning point in the war.
danny
Israel

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 08:38:39 AM »

Stability isn't necessarily a good thing, North Korea is currently a very stable hellhole. I actually think Libya has gotten better even though it has become less stable.
danny
Israel

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 06:03:53 PM »

You mean "surprisingly", right?
danny
Israel

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2013, 07:29:30 PM »

That's what I wrote.

And it is surprising since Turkey has sent some artillery fire into Syria, and seem to want a military intervention. Yet they call Israel a sponsor of state terrorism for bombing them too...

Obviously this is politics, the current Turkish government hate Israel so they say these things. In the same way, Turkey calls what Israel does to the Palestinians genocide, even in cases that are minor compared to what the Turks do to the Kurds. That is just the way politics work, and it isn't even remotely surprising if you follow the news.
danny
Israel

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 01:13:59 PM »

I think this situation is more grey then people are making it out to be. As far as the Loyalists are concerned they are fighting for a secular Syria against the Islamic Fundamentalist dominated Rebels backed by foreign fighters who wish to transform Syria into the next Afghanistan. I hope nobody is naive enough to thing the "NTC" folks have any real sway in the Rebel movement on the ground. This war has taken on a new dimension. It's not Assad vs The People anymore. It's Secular Urban/Shia vs Islamic Conservative Rural Sunnis.

I can't help but think that if I were in Syria I would support the Loyalists.

Syria has very few native Shi'ite, those thousands of shia fighting on Assads side are foreign jihadists fighting coming in from all over the Middle East, because of Iranian influence.
danny
Israel

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 05:43:12 AM »

UN Security Council is getting reports that a nerve gas attack has killed over 1000 in Damascus suburbs.

That should be the trigger point then. There's gonna be too much pressure to act.

Not really.  As it done so on previous occasions, Russia is already saying this was a false flag operation by the rebels.  This certainly won't get the UN involved. Nor do I see the US eager to bear the costs of policing this mess.  Europe may want to, but does it have the capability?

Exactly what I thought happened. Since Assad is allowing UN chemical weapons inspectors into his country, it tells me he wants nothing to do with a chemical attack.

Of course Russia is saying that, Assad is their ally, they even supply him with weapons.

As for the UN inspectors, here's a quote from your article:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't think Assad has much to worry about from the UN.
danny
Israel

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 08:44:10 PM »

Of course Russia is saying that, Assad is their ally, they even supply him with weapons.

And we arm every other dictatorship in the Mideast (except Iran). If this were happening in Saudi Arabia we'd stick up for them.

And if the US says something like this you would be the first to claim it invalid because of that, but somehow Russia gets a free pass from you.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies