Civil War in Syria (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:08:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Civil War in Syria (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Civil War in Syria  (Read 209144 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: July 12, 2013, 08:37:21 PM »

On a (tangentially) related note, how many historical examples are there of true three-way wars (that is, a war in which all three belligerents are at war with each other)?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 10:01:09 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2016, 10:03:01 PM by Mopsus »

Frankly, my main concern in this whole conflict is religious minorities. I do not want religious minorities to be wiped out or slaughtered. I had hoped that overthrowing Assad early on would have given a better government to all of Syria and preserved the rights of religious minorities, but then many of the rebel forces radicalized, then ISIS happened and started slaughtering everyone who wasn't part of their specific apocalyptic creed of Wahhabism, so.... I guess I'm in favor of Assad? I might be in favor of Assad and his surviving brothers being arrested as some sort of palace coup, and possibly installing someone less vicious in charge, but that looks very unlikely as a possibility.

If Assad somehow "won" (which is impossible, assuming winning means regaining complete control of Syria, because the Syrian army at the very least lacks the capability to ever regain the territory controlled by the Kurds) there would 100% be a genocide of Sunnis...

Assad is not going to kill 80% of his own people.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 12:44:46 PM »

When one's employer puts him in a life-threatening situation, does he thank his employer for getting him out alive, or is it just expected?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 06:56:11 PM »

so, what your saying, is that ISRAEL is at fault for the Syrian civil war going badly for the White Helmets?  Unless I greatly misunderstand you?  That seems to me what you're saying.....I'm confused though, because that is FUNKING STUPID!

No, that honor obviously goes to Russia (and Hezbollah).
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »

ok, but that doesn't explain your post.  In fact, I'm more confused.

Spoiler alert! Click Show to show the content.

Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 11:26:07 AM »

The Kurds have made huge advancements, I wonder why they haven't picked off the last spot on the Euphrates yet.

No oil fields to liberate there.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 09:27:24 AM »

Pretty gross if true:

https://www.rt.com/news/436093-yazidi-slave-germany-isis-refugee/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 10:56:43 AM »

but RT?  Can we get a source that isn't horrible?

The article is based on a tweet, which contains a video of the victim telling her story. RT is just the willing vessel.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »

In other news the SDF still hasn't taken Hajin or Ash Sha 'fah. I wonder what is preventing them from clearing out the last ISIS pocket left.

Our government probably told them to hold off, in case we need the Islamic State to launch another offensive.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 09:33:53 AM »

In preparation for an eventual joint Syrian/Iranian/Russian/Hezbollah assault on the large Kurdish pocket in the northeast, we should be arming the Kurds to the teeth (if we aren't already), particularly with anti-tank and anti-aircraft weaponry, and perhaps weaponized drones as well.  Along with equipment to withstand chemical/biological attacks.

I don’t think there’s any reason to believe the SAA is ever going to attack the Kurds. It makes far too much sense for both sides to cooperate.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2018, 11:41:18 PM »

In preparation for an eventual joint Syrian/Iranian/Russian/Hezbollah assault on the large Kurdish pocket in the northeast, we should be arming the Kurds to the teeth (if we aren't already), particularly with anti-tank and anti-aircraft weaponry, and perhaps weaponized drones as well.  Along with equipment to withstand chemical/biological attacks.

I don’t think there’s any reason to believe the SAA is ever going to attack the Kurds. It makes far too much sense for both sides to cooperate.

It doesn't hurt to have contingency plans in case that dynamic changes.  And a well-armed Kurdish Syria would add an extra reason for the SAA and its allies not to attack. 

Syria and its allies don’t need an extra reason not to attack, since if Gulf War III: The Whole Middle East This Time is going to break out, the Kurds will likely side with Iran/Iraq/Syria against Turkey/Saudi Arabia/Gulf States.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 11:58:47 PM »

So what will happen to Syrian Kurdistan then?  It just remains autonomous?  Something like Iraqi Kurdistan in the 90s?

Syrian Kurdistan recognizes Assad, Assad recognizes the autonomy Syrian Kurdistan already has. The SAA is far too tired for any of the alternatives.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 06:12:44 PM »

These are bad people, using terrorism both real and threatened, as an excuse to hold political control over people that don't want them there.

You just described every state actor that’s ever existed...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies