WA-GAY MARRIAGE: Washington, get your gay horses going (and married)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:39:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  WA-GAY MARRIAGE: Washington, get your gay horses going (and married)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: WA-GAY MARRIAGE: Washington, get your gay horses going (and married)  (Read 4803 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:56:14 PM »
« edited: November 13, 2011, 12:55:08 AM by Alcon »

As promised, a day earlier than I promised:

New effort to legalize same-sex marriage begins

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2016755891_gaymarriage13m.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 12:47:38 AM »

Why didn't you just put this in the WA thread we already have?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 12:50:56 AM »

Considering the chance this goes to ballot is high, I don't want to force those only interested in gay marriage to listen to us complain about Tim Sheldon Tongue

Actually, I do, but they'd probably resent that.

I will probably fold coverage in if this topic doesn't heat up.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 03:58:15 AM »

I think it's probably better to make a single thread for gay marriage developments (polling, initiatives, and referendums) in general rather than state specific ones as this issue is everywhere.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 04:09:38 AM »

I think it's probably better to make a single thread for gay marriage developments (polling, initiatives, and referendums) in general rather than state specific ones as this issue is everywhere.

I'm not against that, I guess, but it would potentially make election nights really confusing.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 04:13:51 AM »

I'm not against that, I guess, but it would potentially make election nights really confusing.

How so?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 04:28:39 AM »

How so?

If any states are in the same time zone (or within two, really) it could turn into a mess of unidentified results, confusing questions, and that annoying thing where you can't actually reply because too many posts are being made at the same time.

It's happened before, and it drove me crazy, but there's a chance I'm alone I suppose Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »

What's Gregoire's position?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 05:59:30 AM »

Public position:  As of the 2009 domestic partnership bill signing, she "has to see a bill on her desk" and "wants to see a bill on her desk."  She has no publicly endorsed gay marriage.

Private position:  Totally for it
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:18:27 AM »

Great! While it definitely will end up being decided at the ballot box I am all for pushing this through.

Also I can't stand Tim Sheldon, he's worse than some of the republicans. Wink
Seattle
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »

Yay! Exciting news! It will only make 2012 more interesting.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 01:46:29 PM »

Great news.  I agree this is the right time to push for it, especially as McKenna is against gay marriage and I believe Gov. McKenna would veto it.  Inslee is a gay marriage supporter but his poll numbers vs. McKenna are shaky right now.  Recent polling suggests a gay marriage bill could survive an initiative challenge in WA.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 02:13:45 PM »

It's probably not going to pass. Every time people vote on gay marriage dircetly, it's illegal. All six states were made by court decisions, except NY which wasn't voted on.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2011, 02:26:13 PM »
« Edited: November 13, 2011, 02:35:08 PM by Meeker »

I think this is going to be really tough to get out of the State Senate. Sheldon and Hargrove will definitely vote no and then the Republicans only need to pick off one of the moderates (Hatfield, Kastama, Haugen, Hobbs, maybe Tom or Shin).

The only Republican I could see even considering voting for it is Litzow.

ETA: I think the "Initiative to the Legislature" option the marijuana folks are doing is probably the best strategic option here FWIW.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 03:05:45 PM »

It's probably not going to pass. Every time people vote on gay marriage dircetly, it's illegal. All six states were made by court decisions, except NY which wasn't voted on.

New Hampshire, Vermont were through the Legislature.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 03:13:12 PM »

Thanks. The point still stands, though. (Everytime the people dirctly vote, it fails.)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 06:20:08 PM »

Thanks. The point still stands, though. (Everytime the people dirctly vote, it fails.)

So far. I think people underestimate how much opinions on this have changed in just the last couple of years. Even in 2008 and 2009 it required some of the most sickening, dishonest, and cruel political campaigns in recent memory to make it barely fail in California and Maine.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 06:27:29 PM »

So far. I think people underestimate how much opinions on this have changed in just the last couple of years. Even in 2008 and 2009 it required some of the most sickening, dishonest, and cruel political campaigns in recent memory to make it barely fail in California and Maine.

Yeah, plus Washington has already approved domestic partnerships by popular vote in a tough year for liberals. It could vote for gay marriage, but it would be pretty close, I have to think.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »

It would be very close and it would rely on turn out from Thurston, Whatcom, and King counties. Especially Seattle's close suburbs, if Bellevue/Sammamish/Kent/Auburn areas vote for it 55%+, that bodes well for it passing.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2011, 08:46:29 PM »

It would be very close and it would rely on turn out from Thurston, Whatcom, and King counties. Especially Seattle's close suburbs, if Bellevue/Sammamish/Kent/Auburn areas vote for it 55%+, that bodes well for it passing.

Yeah, it would need at least 60%-65% of the vote in King County. R-71 had 67% and it passed by 6%. I presume the rest of the counties would be across the board slightly more against such a vote than R-71. I could easily see only King, Jefferson, San Juan, Thurston, and maybe Whatcom voting for it.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2011, 09:00:19 PM »

Yeah, it would need at least 60%-65% of the vote in King County. R-71 had 67% and it passed by 6%. I presume the rest of the counties would be across the board slightly more against such a vote than R-71. I could easily see only King, Jefferson, San Juan, Thurston, and maybe Whatcom voting for it.

Yep, it really only needs four counties to pass (King, Jefferson, San Juan and Thurston.)  I expect Whatcom too, since it will be more favorable with Obama on the ballot, is my guess.  Kitsap and Island are the real tipping-point counties.  If it's up in Clallam, Snohomish or Skagit, it'll almost certainly pass.  On the other hand, if Thurston comes in early as very competitive, it's probably game over.
Seattle
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2011, 09:12:40 PM »

I think Snohomish is more likely to pass it than Kitsap or Island.

The order I would put after the usual suspects of King, Jefferson, San Juan, Thurston, and Whatcom are Snohomish, Island/Kitsap, Skagit, then Clallam.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2011, 09:22:33 PM »

I think Snohomish is more likely to pass it than Kitsap or Island.

The order I would put after the usual suspects of King, Jefferson, San Juan, Thurston, and Whatcom are Snohomish, Island/Kitsap, Skagit, then Clallam.

I'm just basing this all on Referendum 71's results.  Harder to tell in an election year, although you may be right:  The conservative areas of Snohomish (middle-class and exurban) probably had decent turnout already in 2009, while the conservative area of Island (military-heavy Oak Harbor) probably has a lot of Presidential-only voters.

If the measure wins in most of the swing counties outside the Liberal Four, I think it'll be solid.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »

Besides, winning a referendum would enable gay-marriage backers to deflate somewhat the charge that this is all a result of liberul-eeleets.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 01:43:29 AM »

Besides, winning a referendum would enable gay-marriage backers to deflate somewhat the charge that this is all a result of liberul-eeleets.

Indeed.  Everyone knows Seattle doesn't win elections, and it's kind of awkward to engage in King County-bashing when your newly elected GOP state reps are in the gay-friendly Eastside of the county.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies