Israel and Palestine
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:30:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel and Palestine
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Israel and Palestine  (Read 23985 times)
dunn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2004, 01:23:30 PM »

He was a particularly nasty guy, responsible for the deaths of a lot of Jews and one of the major blockades for peace.

Although it would be nicer if they were captured and executed, this is not as easy and so I support Israel's actions.
Amen
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2004, 02:01:26 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2004, 02:01:43 PM by Brambila »

I'll never support a nation that forces its children to become suicide bombers.
dunn

« Reply #127 on: April 17, 2004, 02:03:09 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2004, 02:03:56 PM by dunn »

Amen
but they are not really a nation
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #128 on: April 17, 2004, 02:03:10 PM »

you are confused, Palestine isn't a Nation, never has been a country, it is just the name of a region.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2004, 02:06:18 PM »

you are confused, Palestine isn't a Nation, never has been a country, it is just the name of a region.

Who says they aren't a nation? If they think of themselves as a nation, and I think they do, then they are. Not a state perhaps, but a nation.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #130 on: April 17, 2004, 02:09:12 PM »

Who says they aren't a nation? If they think of themselves as a nation, and I think they do, then they are. Not a state perhaps, but a nation.

nation: people of one or more cultures or races organized as a single state
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: April 17, 2004, 02:10:37 PM »

Whoever came up with that definition is wrong. Tongue
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #132 on: April 17, 2004, 02:12:40 PM »

you mean my Collins English Dictionary? lol
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: April 17, 2004, 02:14:55 PM »

you mean my Collins English Dictionary? lol

OK, that then. Smiley
dunn

« Reply #134 on: April 17, 2004, 02:16:49 PM »
« Edited: April 17, 2004, 02:19:48 PM by dunn »

if the people of south east Sweden will declare themself a nation, will they be one? I agree you don't have to have a state to be a nation (Armenian didn't, thr Kurdish don't) but still that was not Brambila point.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #135 on: April 17, 2004, 02:27:23 PM »

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: April 17, 2004, 03:34:57 PM »

if the people of south east Sweden will declare themself a nation, will they be one? I agree you don't have to have a state to be a nation (Armenian didn't, thr Kurdish don't) but still that was not Brambila point.

Yes. If they believe in it, they would. We come up with words, we own them. Nations are about identities.
dunn

« Reply #137 on: April 17, 2004, 03:37:53 PM »

Yes. If they believe in it, they would. We come up with words, we own them. Nations are about identities.
exectly. a region is not enough
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: April 17, 2004, 03:40:06 PM »

No, of course not. We're not talking about regional identities here.

Israel is a great example that proves my point in fact. The Jewish nation lived on throughout the last 2000 years, even though they didn't have a country or state.
dunn

« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2004, 03:42:22 PM »

Israel is a great example that proves my point in fact. The Jewish nation lived on throughout the last 2000 years, even though they didn't have a country or state.
I said that myself
but there was no palestinian nation even in 1948, they didn't create a state in the teritories when they were in Arab control till 1967
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: April 17, 2004, 03:47:42 PM »

I said that myself
but there was no palestinian nation even in 1948, they didn't create a state in the teritories when they were in Arab control till 1967

No, but if they NOW view themselves as a people they have every right to form an independent state. And I think that their time under occupation have made them a people, after a fashion.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #141 on: April 17, 2004, 03:51:11 PM »

The supply of Palestinians is not unlimited Wink
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »

Which right wing nuts have voted for "Extermination of Palestinians"? And why do you have that as a category? Likewise with the category "Extermination of Israelis".

A bit tasteless.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2004, 07:01:33 PM »

Which right wing nuts have voted for "Extermination of Palestinians"? And why do you have that as a category? Likewise with the category "Extermination of Israelis".

A bit tasteless.

I guess they wanted to cover the whole spectre...Opebo probably voted for extermination of Palestinians, he usually supports that kind of stuff... Wink
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2004, 07:09:42 PM »

A bit tasteless.

I guess they wanted to cover the whole spectre...Opebo probably voted for extermination of Palestinians, he usually supports that kind of stuff... Wink

Oh. But I don't find it funny. It's like joking about the Holocaust.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2004, 07:25:02 PM »

A bit tasteless.

Well, I guess it isn't exactly funny, but one of the great things about the forum is that you get ALL sorts of views, even ones you really disagree with.
ShapeShifter

« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2004, 07:28:36 PM »

A bit tasteless.

Well, I guess it isn't exactly funny, but one of the great things about the forum is that you get ALL sorts of views, even ones you really disagree with.

That is why I really enjoyed those polls I created. Smiley
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2004, 12:00:58 AM »

State of Israel
dunn

« Reply #148 on: April 18, 2004, 02:29:10 AM »

Wink
dunn

« Reply #149 on: April 18, 2004, 03:50:42 AM »

This is from AP

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) -- Abdel Aziz Rantisi, the Hamas leader assassinated in an Israeli air strike Saturday, was one of the highest profile and most extreme voices of the violent Islamic group.

He served as Hamas leader in Gaza for less than a month after Israel killed his predecessor, Hamas founder Sheik Ahmed Yassin, in a similar helicopter missile strike on March 22.

Rantisi rejected any accommodation with Israel, following strict Hamas ideology that called for destruction of the Jewish state in the Middle East.

A pediatrician by profession with a reasonable command of English, Rantisi was readily available to foreign journalists and was one of the most recognizable of Hamas' leaders.

Even before he was chosen to replace Yassin, Rantisi was in Israeli gunsights. Last year, an Israeli helicopter fired missiles at his vehicle, wounding him.

Rantisi told journalists that day "My priority is to unite the Palestinians in the trenches of resistance because there is no one left who believes in something called the peace process."

Rantisi, Yassin and five other men founded Hamas in 1987 at the start of a first uprising against Israel's occupation of the West Bank and Gaza Strip. The group grew into one of the region's largest militant Islamic factions and called for a Muslim Middle East without a Jewish state. The United States and Israel regard Hamas as a terrorist organization.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies