Italian General Election 2012 ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:54:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Italian General Election 2012 ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Italian General Election 2012 ?  (Read 26305 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »

What's that? Putting a leash on Lega Nord? Of course it will be difficult. I'm just saying that it should be done.

The problem is that they might respond to leashing with 'fyck off'. As you know.

Sure. Then they get to spend every government from here until the end of time out of power.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2011, 02:05:32 PM »

You can't just add percentages in a scenario where Berlusconi is gone.
PdL would basically cease to exist.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2011, 02:46:20 PM »

What's that? Putting a leash on Lega Nord? Of course it will be difficult. I'm just saying that it should be done.

The problem is that they might respond to leashing with 'fyck off'. As you know.

Sure. Then they get to spend every government from here until the end of time out of power.
Uh, no. Just the one term. Two years after the election, they're back in on their own terms.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2011, 03:57:47 PM »

The right reunifying would require Berlusconi clearly abandoning it (not just stepping aside and propping up his buddy Alfano) as well as some significant strategy change (giving less room to Lega, to be clear). It can happen, but not if PdL keeps acting as it has in these last days.

I don't think Fini would comment on reunification unless Berlusconi was clearly out of the picture. Hopefully, they address the Lega Nord issue, too.

From what I've heard from Berlusconi's last declaration, he seems anything but retiring from politics. Maybe he's just deluded and will eventually be forced out by his fellow party members, but he could also be planning to remain the man behind the curtain. I don't know, future months will tell us.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2011, 05:04:09 PM »

Uh, no. Just the one term. Two years after the election, they're back in on their own terms.

What do you mean? They'd be elected with enough support to form a government on their own? Come on.  Tongue

For the record, I meant they'd be out of government until the end of the time because they'd never form a government with the Left and the Right should cut ties completely if they decided not to accept being reigned in. I know it's a fantasy but it should be done. These people threaten to bring down governments every other damn month. Then again, we are talking about Italy here...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

The problem, Phil, is that a large part of the Right's most loyal voters (however defined) defected en masse to the League in the early 90s and have shown no sign of switching back into the mainstream. It isn't as though they can be scared with the threat of Communism now.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2011, 07:01:19 PM »

The problem, Phil, is that a large part of the Right's most loyal voters (however defined) defected en masse to the League in the early 90s and have shown no sign of switching back into the mainstream. It isn't as though they can be scared with the threat of Communism now.

I know that. There's a reason why I referred to my plans for Lega Nord as "fantasy."  Wink
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »

The new government appointed today

Economy: Monti himself
Home Affairs: Anna Maria Cancellieri
Foreign Affairs: Giulio Terzi di Santagata
Welfare (+ Equal Opportunities): Elsa Fornero
Education, University and Research: Francesco Profumo
Justice: Paola Severino
Development: Corrado Passera
Defence: Giampaolo di Paola
European Affairs: Enzo Moavero Milanesi*
Environment: Corrado Clini
Tourism and Sport: Piero Gnudi*
International Cooperation: Andrea Riccardi*
Culture: Lorenzo Ornaghi
Health: Renato Balduzzi
Agriculture: Mario Catania
Territorial Cohesion: Fabrizio Barca*
Relationship with Parliament: Piero Giarda*

*cabinet ministers without portfolio
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2011, 08:50:45 AM »

Are they all indipendents, or are they a mix of people from different parties?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2011, 10:59:04 AM »

Are they all indipendents, or are they a mix of people from different parties?

It looks like they're all Independents.
Iannis
Rookie
Italy

« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »

They are all moderate and centrist, some slightly towards right, some left. And some of them quite catholic.
The majority is teaching in private university, Bocconi (close to entrepreneurs, quite neoliberal) and Cattolica (catholic university)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2011, 12:38:29 PM »

What do you mean?
Back in the main right-wing alliance. The separate ways election being, of course, a more-massive-than-necessary Left victory.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2011, 03:49:15 PM »

What do you mean?
Back in the main right-wing alliance. The separate ways election being, of course, a more-massive-than-necessary Left victory.

I figured that's what you meant. I was saying they'd be gone forever because they wouldn't be welcomed back into the Right alliance unless they accepted their "leash." Again, I understand that that's fantasy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »

Yeah, so an all-technical government. It's a pity, because it means there will be little solidarity between parties (having a PD and a PdL minister would have made it harder for these parties to criticize the government). At least those are competent guys who hopefully will do what they are for.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »

How do you know that? Because they say they are?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »

For the Italians here: when do you think we'll see the next election? A friend of mine's father serves in Parliament and he gave me a very brief, "This government could last until 2013" non-answer. Does that seem likely?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »

How do you know that? Because they say they are?

I've never heard anybody denying it (even those who talk about the evil bankers' conspiracy didn't question their competence AFAIK). That doesn't mean they'll do well, but that makes me somewhat hopeful that the short-term threat can be overcome. A political government will take care of the structural reforms, and hopefully it will be a left-wing one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2011, 04:19:10 PM »

For the Italians here: when do you think we'll see the next election? A friend of mine's father serves in Parliament and he gave me a very brief, "This government could last until 2013" non-answer. Does that seem likely?

I don't know how long it will last. It basically depends on the parliament, which can bring him down whenever it wants.

Personally, my position is simple : this government should last until the financial crisis is resolved. Until the spread comes back to reasonable level, or whatever indicator you want to use. As soon as the problem is solved, new elections should be called. If this means waiting until 2013, fine with it. Basically, the elections should occur as soon as possible. As a left-winger, I can only hope they are held soon.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #118 on: November 16, 2011, 07:03:17 PM »

I've never heard anybody denying it (even those who talk about the evil bankers' conspiracy didn't question their competence AFAIK).

But if they've never run a country before, we have no idea whether they are competent or not.
SPQR
italian-boy
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #119 on: November 16, 2011, 08:00:16 PM »

This government might well last until 2013.
If the Parliament is not cooperative,though,I expect elections in the spring.

Btw,I like this cabinet.
Also,the new Minister of Justice is the vice-president of my university Cheesy
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #120 on: November 17, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »

Monti's government got 281 votes in the Senate tonight vs 25 against (Lega)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies