BC municipal elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:48:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BC municipal elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BC municipal elections  (Read 4506 times)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« on: November 15, 2011, 10:10:09 AM »

To make things even more interesting, like in 2005, COPE and Vison have formed an electoral alliance of sorts: Vision will run 7 (-1 from 05) candidates for council, COPE runs 3 (+1). The greens oddly have allied themselves with NPA. They have a similar agreement in place for the School Board and Parks Board.
Some incumbent councillors aren't running; George Chow (VV) lost the NDP nomination for the provincial riding of Vancouver-Fraserview to Gabriel Yue (i'm happy with that); Cadman (COPE) lost his spot on the COPE slate in a surprise vote to Tim Louis who used to be on council, and is know for being much more left-wing and opposed the VV/COPE agreement. Umm the only others i can think of is on the Parks board, Woodcock (COPE) and Hundal (VV) are not running. I know Hundal is the NDP candidate in Surrey-Tyndal for the next provincial.

To prove Teddy's point about the at-large systems allowing one dominant party; in Burnaby Derek Corrigans (sound familiar? his wife is a NDP MLA) BCA (Burnaby citizens Association) holds all the elected posts... all of them.

I was trying to find polls but no luck; I'm hearing (mostly from rabble.ca so biased lefties) but COPE should win all three, NPA is expected to do well but there are no incumbents so... maybe 1-3; leaving VV to hold the balance... probably 5-6. Robertson is expected to win BUT the polls for Anton are all over the map... i saw her with anywhere from 41% to 27%.

Most large cities mirror Vancouver, in Surrey like Burnaby they have a Surrey Civic Coalition (NDP, left Liberal leaning) current Mayor Watts and her Surrey First slate hold all the council seats in this case too.
The only major city i saw was Victoria where there are really no current council slates, they all seem to be independents.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »

Oh my appologies Hatman, i looked at the last post and not who actually posted that comment Tongue

Well COPE isn't running a mayor candidate either but they are endorsing Robertson again... but your right, its odd that SCC isn't running a candidate in a field of 8, their could be a number of progressives running. They also might be trying to put all their resources in winning a council seat.

Saanich should be one of the interesting ones on the Island, Cubberley was an NDP MLA and both he and Leonard have big backers, should be a fight.

The only other cities were missing is Langley, North Van, Kamloops, Nanaimo and Prince George (last three 50K + but all outside the lower mainland)

VV is getting some heat for having very few (only one i think) south asian candidates (considered a huge target group, and one they need to win in the South/SE to win seats). The North East, and West end seem to be VV and Cope territory, while the West, South West is NPA lands... so the battle really is in the SE area (see above maps), and all you have to do is look at the results in Vancouver South in May where the NDP/LIB/C's all were in play.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies