AR: Gov. Beebe not likely to run for another office after 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:37:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AR: Gov. Beebe not likely to run for another office after 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: AR: Gov. Beebe not likely to run for another office after 2014  (Read 4259 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 30, 2012, 03:48:47 PM »

Looks like Beebe has the door pretty closed on seeking office after his current term is up:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »

R+1 unless Bill Halter runs, probably.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 04:24:04 PM »

R+1 unless Bill Halter runs, probably.

Quite the contrary, I'd say Smiley

The super-popular AG, Dustin McDaniel, should be the favorite to hold the Governorship. He's already started prepping for the 2014 campaign.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 05:56:21 PM »

People were expecting otherwise?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:04:51 PM »

People were expecting otherwise?

Well, there was some chatter about Beebe running against Boozman in 2016.

Though, in 2010, I saw a poll with Beebe trailing Boozman by 1. But still, that was 2010...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 06:44:14 PM »
« Edited: July 30, 2012, 06:52:31 PM by Senator Scott »

Beebe's pretty conservative for a Democrat on every issue, isn't he?  Economic issues as well as social ones?

I can imagine he'd put Boozman's seat in play.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »

Beebe's pretty conservative for a Democrat on every issue, isn't he?  Economic issues as well as social ones?

All things considered, I'd say he's more fiscally liberal than Blanche Lincoln but more conservative on social issues.

Beebe would probably have PM score very close to mine.

Well, if he was trailing by 1 in 2010, I'd imagine he'd be more competitive in a less hostile year. Boozman would now have the incumbency advantage though.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »

All things considered, I'd say he's more fiscally liberal than Blanche Lincoln but more conservative on social issues.

Beebe would probably have PM score very close to mine.

Well, if he was trailing by 1 in 2010, I'd imagine he'd be more competitive in a less hostile year. Boozman would now have the incumbency advantage though.

I still think Beebe would have the advantage because he would be a popular former governor with a good record versus a relatively low-profile incumbent without one.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:10:39 AM »

IMHO - expected. He has good career, spanning decades, and, on the other hand, Arkansas becomes more and more difficult to win even for relatively conservative Democrat. Except few black majority and some other liberal areas (Little Rock, Fayetvtille) it will soon become an Eastern Texas...
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 07:50:12 PM »

IMHO - expected. He has good career, spanning decades, and, on the other hand, Arkansas becomes more and more difficult to win even for relatively conservative Democrat. Except few black majority and some other liberal areas (Little Rock, Fayetvtille) it will soon become an Eastern Texas...

That was 2010; Beebe won by a bigger margin than any Democratic gubernatorial candidate. In 2008, the GOP didn't even bother putting an opponent against Pryor.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 09:38:05 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 09:47:00 PM by MilesC56 »

That was 2010; Beebe won by a bigger margin than any Democratic gubernatorial candidate. In 2008, the GOP didn't even bother putting an opponent against Pryor.

I think smoltchanov is talking about the longer-term political trajectories of AR. I think he's right to suggest that in 15-20 years, it will look like eastern TX (with a few residual Democratic strongholds in the Delta and Pulaski counties).

I've heard that the Democrat's gerrymander of the legislative districts was actually pretty aggressive (as opposed to the Congressional plan), so that can help buy them a bit more time. But still, the trend worries me...There's a clear generational gap too; I was looking at pics of a few members of the AR legislature... generally speaking, the Democrats are older than the Republicans.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:23 PM »
« Edited: July 31, 2012, 10:18:20 PM by freepcrusher »

that's too generous. Even in Texas, the democrats have a good electoral safety net (central SA, most of Houston, South Dallas, Central Fort Worth, El Paso and all of south Texas). Democrats in Arkansas have a much lower floor.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 10:52:02 PM »

that's too generous. Even in Texas, the democrats have a good electoral safety net (central SA, most of Houston, South Dallas, Central Fort Worth, El Paso and all of south Texas). Democrats in Arkansas have a much lower floor.

That's exactly the reason that i spoke about (rural) East Texas, not the Texas as whole in my comparison. How many Democratic state legislators are now elected from rural East Texas districts? Zero, as far as i know)))
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 04:02:10 PM »

This article from after Tim Griffin's RNC speech suggests that he'll run statewide in 2014, more likely for Governor though.

Either way, McDaniel and Pryor would still be favored in their respective contests. Also, with Griffin taking the plunge, Halter could run for his open seat.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 02:42:35 AM »

This article from after Tim Griffin's RNC speech suggests that he'll run statewide in 2014, more likely for Governor though.

Either way, McDaniel and Pryor would still be favored in their respective contests. Also, with Griffin taking the plunge, Halter could run for his open seat.

May be i am wrong, but it's my feeling that, aside from liberal "base", Halter is almost universaly hated in Arkansas. He couldn't even win primary over Lincoln. And when i think about chances of such liberal candidate in more and more conservative (as of late) Arkansas - i am not optimistic))) Even im more moderate 2nd district))
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 03:33:02 AM »

May be i am wrong, but it's my feeling that, aside from liberal "base", Halter is almost universaly hated in Arkansas. He couldn't even win primary over Lincoln. And when i think about chances of such liberal candidate in more and more conservative (as of late) Arkansas - i am not optimistic))) Even im more moderate 2nd district))

I think Halter's loss in 2010 had more to do with the strength of Lincoln as an incumbent rather than his own weaknesses. Lincoln did unexpectedly well with black voters, especially in Little Rock, and was of course, very entrenched in her old Delta district. I'm guessing Bill Clinton's endorsement also helped her a lot.

Apparently, Halter is also seriously considering running for Governor. Ughhh...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 09:08:18 AM »

I last heard he was running against Pryor. Personally I'd prefer Cotton be the one running for guv in 2018... fully Republicanize Arkansas.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies