Scott Walker recall goes live
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:24:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scott Walker recall goes live
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26
Author Topic: Scott Walker recall goes live  (Read 104369 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2012, 04:26:17 PM »
« edited: April 13, 2012, 07:53:53 PM by Torie »

Additionally 200k or more have been identified as probably bogus signatures.

O RLY?

Anyway, Dems seem to be setting up a circular firing squad here...

Yea, a volunteer army has been examining the petitions on an online database.  Scot Walker signed it 50 times, daffy duck, mickey mouse, etc.  MANY people signed more than once, some weren't filled out properly, some forgery's were discovered... you get the picture.  They probably got enough signatures, but a failure rate approaching 40% is a little troubling.    

Do you have a link to a source that says 200,000 signatures are "probably bogus"?

Not to put too fine a point to it, but it doesn't cost anything for random Republicans to make an outrageous, unsupported claim to undermine the legitimacy of the elections.

Maybe the public employee unions did it. That is what they did with the ban mandatory union dues for political campaigns initiative signature gathering effort (as well as banning corporate contributions), without the annual signed written consent of the member, shareholder. They hired folks to sign petitions multiple times, in hopes the petition gatherers would think they had enough valid signatures, when they didn't. But a smart lawyer whom I know is one of the guys behind the curtain, and he did a random cross check, and caught on to the game, so they got more signatures!  

Oh the unions are behind the recall here, so never mind. Of maybe they got desperate, and were running out of time. Or maybe the Koch brothers did it, whom have become one of the Dems favorite demons twins lately. So many theories, so little time.

All roads across the River Styx lead to public employee unions, with the auto company unions in a neighborhood adjacent. Tongue
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2012, 04:30:21 PM »

Additionally 200k or more have been identified as probably bogus signatures.

O RLY?

Anyway, Dems seem to be setting up a circular firing squad here...

Yea, a volunteer army has been examining the petitions on an online database.  Scot Walker signed it 50 times, daffy duck, mickey mouse, etc.  MANY people signed more than once, some weren't filled out properly, some forgery's were discovered... you get the picture.  They probably got enough signatures, but a failure rate approaching 40% is a little troubling.   

Do you have a link to a source that says 200,000 signatures are "probably bogus"?

Not to put too fine a point to it, but it doesn't cost anything for random Republicans to make an outrageous, unsupported claim to undermine the legitimacy of the elections.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DP_SjjIO6P4J:maciverinstitute.com/2012/03/recall-picture-does-not-clear-up-with-time/+Verify+the+Recall+have+identified+more+than+228000&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
I can't quickly find a detailed report, but you get the idea
Scottyp65
United States

« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2012, 03:08:35 PM »

They ended up identifying a few that were dropped off, but validated over 900,000.  Only 4 came back with names like Mickey Mouse. 

Most of this effort was Wisconsin based volunteers.  Some support was provided by unions, mostly administrative.  It wasn't a huge amount.  People who try to pass this whole thing off as a process run by big unions are trying to distort the truth.

It will be interesting to see how the primary comes out and the election.  Right now Dems are going at each other a bit between Falk and Barrett.  My sense is that Barrett will win this battle as Falk is a bit too close to the unions.

As for the general election, each party has about 46% absolutely locked in, and the remaining 8% or so will determine the election.  If I had to guess right now, I would think Barrett would win most independents, while I think Walker and Falk would split right now.  Very few people who are on the fence are Walker supporters.  You either love him or hate him.  Having the worst job performance in the nation hurts.  And with layoffs for teachers next year coming May 1, it will only get worse.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: April 16, 2012, 12:51:01 PM »

Walker reforms has led to teacher HIRE's.  Teacher Union 'ram job' contract extensions has led to layoffs.  So, proof that Walker is better for education will "get worse" for him.  OK guy.     
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #104 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »

Scott Walker takes a lead in PPP poll.

Prior listed:

Tom Barrett (D): 45 (49)
Scott Walker (R-inc): 50 (46)
Hari Trivedi (I): 2
Undecided: 3 (3)

Kathleen Falk (D): 43 (48)
Scott Walker (R-inc): 50 (47)
Hari Trivedi (I): 3
Undecided: 3 (5)

Dominating!
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #105 on: April 16, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »

You have a profoundly strange definition of 'dominating', did you know that? Do you have some sort of weird psychosexual trait to which that word is relevant or something?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2012, 01:17:34 PM by krazen1211 »

You have a profoundly strange definition of 'dominating', did you know that? Do you have some sort of weird psychosexual trait to which that word is relevant or something?

Err, what? The word is typically used to describe those who are victorious in competitive contests.

See the following sentence:

Kentucky completes dominating season with national title

In addition it's a nice sound effect in unreal tournament.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #107 on: April 16, 2012, 07:07:07 PM »

The word would generally be used to describe victory somewhat more complete than leading by five points in a likely voter poll of a midsummer recall election with a margin of error of about three per cent.

I do apologize for my not particularly tasteful method of insulting you here, though. I'll keep it more collegial in the future.
Scottyp65
United States

« Reply #108 on: April 17, 2012, 08:02:44 PM »

Walker reforms has led to teacher HIRE's.  Teacher Union 'ram job' contract extensions has led to layoffs.  So, proof that Walker is better for education will "get worse" for him.  OK guy.     

You completely missed the point of my comment.  May 1st is when layoffs have to be announced for NEXT year.  This year's education budgets were padded by one time payouts that will be gone next year.  Also, budgets cuts this year were partially paid for from teacher increases in pension payments and health care payments.  That isnt an option next year.  I think you will see thousands of layoffs announced and a bunch of school districts cancel things like art classes, band, sports, etc.  That will be bad for Walker. 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25:25 AM »

why would districts flush with cash start doing those things?  Walker districts are free to trim more fat from the budgets and some of the contracts of the Union ram job districts will expire and they will have tools....  so, yea you aren't making any sense with your point.  Maybe Union controlled boards will screw over their own members and the kids, but that makes Walker look good not bad.   
Scottyp65
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 21, 2012, 10:18:25 AM »

why would districts flush with cash start doing those things?  Walker districts are free to trim more fat from the budgets and some of the contracts of the Union ram job districts will expire and they will have tools....  so, yea you aren't making any sense with your point.  Maybe Union controlled boards will screw over their own members and the kids, but that makes Walker look good not bad.   

Flush with cash?  wow.  Where are you living? 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: April 23, 2012, 10:36:22 AM »

What would you call an extra BILLION dollars? ?  Every week local newspapers report the local school districts (all over the state) save 1-10 million each just from stopping the WEA trust insurance racket.  What would you call WEAC suppressing it's own survey because it makes the reforms look so favorable? ? Facts and reality is where I'm living.  The state has LESS money and MORE money is in the classroom.  When is the last time that happened?  Answer: never.   Amazing what you can do when you cut a little fat.       
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #112 on: April 24, 2012, 05:04:00 PM »

Thanks Scotty...

http://www.jsonline.com/business/state-posts-largest-percentage-job-loss-in-us-over-past-year-report-shows-ib54utt-148694855.html
Scottyp65
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 25, 2012, 12:52:55 AM »

What would you call an extra BILLION dollars? ?  Every week local newspapers report the local school districts (all over the state) save 1-10 million each just from stopping the WEA trust insurance racket.  What would you call WEAC suppressing it's own survey because it makes the reforms look so favorable? ? Facts and reality is where I'm living.  The state has LESS money and MORE money is in the classroom.  When is the last time that happened?  Answer: never.   Amazing what you can do when you cut a little fat.       

During winter when the buildings got cold, schools all over the state tossed bundles of hundred dollar bills in the furnace to warm it up.  I would call an extra billion dollars a figment of your imagination.  Facts and reality?  Yes school districts have downsized their health plans to cheaper plans and it has saved them some money. 
Walkers cuts were somewhere around $800 million.  You honestly believe that school districts have saved over $1.8 Billion from health insurance savings?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2012, 06:30:05 PM »

During winter when the buildings got cold, schools all over the state tossed bundles of hundred dollar bills in the furnace to warm it up.  I would call an extra billion dollars a figment of your imagination.  Facts and reality?  Yes school districts have downsized their health plans to cheaper plans and it has saved them some money. 
Walkers cuts were somewhere around $800 million.  You honestly believe that school districts have saved over $1.8 Billion from health insurance savings?

1)Act 10 has saved over a billion in less than a year.

2) It isn't in effect in every district.  Particularly the largest districts which have the potential for massive savings. 

3) I'm not sure yet how much of the billion is simply from avoiding the corrupt union-insurance company's price gouging, but it might be 50% or more.       
Scottyp65
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:02 PM »

WEA trust insurance is neither corrupt nor price gouging.  It is expensive because it is good high end insurance.  If you talk to teachers who went from them to a less expensive plan, and they had health issues, they will tell you the new insurance is nowhere near as good.  And yes, it is cheaper.

Do you work on the Walker campaign?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »

Scott Walker has raised $13 million since January. The people are rallying behind the great union buster.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/walker-raises-13-million-since-january-8o57q7r-149561525.html

Gov. Scott Walker raised $13 million since January to fight off the recall bid against him, far outdistancing his Democratic challengers and driving home the challenge they will have in beating the Republican incumbent.

Criss-crossing the country on fundraising trips, Walker has raised more than $25 million in total since January 2011 and has $4.8 million in cash on hand - numbers unlike any that have been seen for a political candidate in Wisconsin.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:00 AM »

Why does the great union buster have to criss-cross the country on his fundraising trips?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2012, 09:03:19 AM »

Why does the great union buster have to criss-cross the country on his fundraising trips?

Has to? I don't think he has to, but rather given his rock star status many people outside Wisconsin want to show support for a champion like him. It's certainly prudent to do so for Scott Walker.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2012, 01:02:22 PM »

Has to? I don't think he has to, but rather given his rock star status many people outside Wisconsin want to show support for a champion like him. It's certainly prudent to do so for Scott Walker.

Prudent, yes, but does him not spending his time within the state he's ostensibly governing indicate more concern for Wisconsin or more concern for Scott Walker?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #120 on: May 01, 2012, 01:07:44 PM »

Prudent, yes, but does him not spending his time within the state he's ostensibly governing indicate more concern for Wisconsin or more concern for Scott Walker?
In before Krazen says those two are the same thing.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2012, 01:52:35 PM »

It is really odd, but this has become a quasi-national race.  Walker is running against National Unions and the Obama campaign operation...  So, fundraising nation wide is a logical reaction to a Chicago-WashingtonD.C. campaign against you. 

Also, his opponents have the advantage of not needing to "raise" funds for:
1) the lefty media coverage Walker has to overcome
2) SuperPAC (Union) ad campaigns against Walker

The word is the Unions are dumping a few million into ad buys for Falk this last week before the primary.  It will be fascinating to see how much the needle moves on that. 

I am still amazed that these two clowns are the best the dems can muster.  The 47% warriors   

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »

Probably the latter. The foremost concern of most politicians is maintaining elected office. The Wisconsin legislative session is of course also over.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »

In before Krazen says those two are the same thing.
You need to bait the troll to get him to say something like that. Outright calling for it usually doesn't work, or they get banned fast.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Walker continues to display his grassroots appeal among ordinary Wisconsin residents.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies