Scott Walker recall goes live
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:03:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scott Walker recall goes live
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26
Author Topic: Scott Walker recall goes live  (Read 104391 times)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 09, 2012, 07:41:03 AM »

I suspect the margin will end up rather similar to 2010. I think the state is pretty evenly divided on Walker's actions but there's a portion of the population out there (5-10%) that opposes recalls out of principle and that'll carry the day for Walker.

Yeah this.

Will have a very high turnout. Democrats hate Walker whereas Republicans love him.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2012, 08:09:40 AM »

lol
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #152 on: May 09, 2012, 02:50:19 PM »

I suspect the margin will end up rather similar to 2010. I think the state is pretty evenly divided on Walker's actions but there's a portion of the population out there (5-10%) that opposes recalls out of principle and that'll carry the day for Walker.

That's possible.  It's too bad that Wisconsin doesn't let voters recall legislation instead of politicians like Ohio does, because then the Democrats would have better chances of getting what they want.

Maybe, but that wouldn't make sense considering democrats have basically abandoned the anti act 10 message because they lose on it.  Barrett didn't even mention it last night.  They want to run on jobs or women apparently...  this recall is so stupid.     
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #153 on: May 09, 2012, 02:56:05 PM »

That's possible.  It's too bad that Wisconsin doesn't let voters recall legislation instead of politicians like Ohio does, because then the Democrats would have better chances of getting what they want.

Maybe, but that wouldn't make sense considering democrats have basically abandoned the anti act 10 message because they lose on it.  Barrett didn't even mention it last night.  They want to run on jobs or women apparently...  this recall is so stupid.     

The Democrats do seem to be making the same mistake they did with the recalls by not making unions the central issue in spite of the fact that most Wisconsin voters support collective bargaining rights.  It all depends on how they go about the issue from now until the election.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: May 09, 2012, 05:06:30 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2012, 05:58:51 PM by AmericanNation »

That's possible.  It's too bad that Wisconsin doesn't let voters recall legislation instead of politicians like Ohio does, because then the Democrats would have better chances of getting what they want.

Maybe, but that wouldn't make sense considering democrats have basically abandoned the anti act 10 message because they lose on it.  Barrett didn't even mention it last night.  They want to run on jobs or women apparently...  this recall is so stupid.    

The Democrats do seem to be making the same mistake they did with the recalls by not making unions the central issue in spite of the fact that most Wisconsin voters support collective bargaining rights.  It all depends on how they go about the issue from now until the election.

If you include the word "rights" in anything it is generally supported.  Collective Bargaining is not a right by definition.  Most Wisconsin voters support the act 10 reforms because they stopped some abused and destructive privileges that never should have been granted.  

Last night, Barrett said the recall was about jobs...  hard to make up a more absurd lie.  

Fun Stuff
Approximately 735,798 Republicans turned out to vote while only 541,018 Democrats turned out to vote.  Many republicans voted for the weaker democrat union endorsed Falk instead of Walker. 

http://www.wigderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Recall-Primary-2012.jpg

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #155 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »

Yeah this.

Will have a very high turnout. Democrats hate Walker whereas Republicans love him.

http://m.jsonline.com/blogs/news/150760775.html

Milwaukee Mayor Barrett enjoyed his biggest countywide margins in Milwaukee County Tuesday. But the county’s turnout rate was much lower than Dane’s: 17% of voting-age adults, or 123,638 people, voted in the Democratic primary
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #156 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:58 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2012, 10:06:45 PM by Torie »

I join Krazen in really, really wanting to win this one. Things look pretty good at the moment, but things can go wrong in a hurry, with all of the plate tectonic shifts moving around all over the place, as the voters try to sort through a host of unpleasant stuff. It's cold shower time, and only kooks like cold showers.

That is why I am so amused by all the youngs  forecasting how various states will go this November and by what margin, and then even by county in one thread. Oh dear! They will learn in time. Smiley
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #157 on: May 09, 2012, 11:39:28 PM »

This election is a lot more interesting than Presidential one, and it there are actual different ideologies presented here. Hopefully the good guys win although it's not looking very good.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #158 on: May 10, 2012, 11:10:37 AM »

Wisconsin Recall Election: Walker 50%, Barrett 45%

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_governor_elections/wisconsin/wisconsin_recall_election_walker_50_barrett_45

Given how badly dems were crushed in turnout Tuesday, I actually think that indicates what will happen June 5th.  Incomprehensible to political junkies, but most democrats do NOT know (anymore) why Walker is being recalled.  The reforms work!  Let this be a lesson that this is what happens when you let ONE special interest group (non police/fire government employees) control your party.  Most Wisdems did not want this, but they were powerless to stop it and will suffer by association. 

That large number of people that correctly understand that this is an abuse of the recall process goes a long way toward Walker winning the few remaining undecideds and suppresses dem turnout.  Walker will probably win every region of the state except the Dane county region(south-central), The La Crosse region will be close.  Walker will win South-East Wisconsin(were the population is), but an interesting question is: will Walker get over 40% in Milwaukee county?  if he does it is almost impossible for a democrat to win a statewide election.           

When was the last time a (mid-sized)state budget became a national issue?     
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #159 on: May 10, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »

Good, its a pure tossup then.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #160 on: May 10, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »

It's Rasmussen.  Knock off a few R points and yeah, toss-up.
Ike56
Rookie

« Reply #161 on: May 10, 2012, 04:34:38 PM »

It's Rasmussen.  Knock off a few R points and yeah, toss-up.

A fair point, indeed.  PPP had it at +1 for Walker with LVs, so I shall deduct a couple of points from Barrett to compensate for their supposed (actually, openly admitted per Tommy Jensen) partisan leanings.  Walker will thus win narrowly.

Now, can we please stop awarding phantom votes to one candidate or another based on whether we like the alleged affiliations of certain pollsters?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #162 on: May 10, 2012, 09:12:25 PM »

Democrats should have just played as dirty as the Republicans did, and unloaded the entire kitchen sink on Walker. Throw everything together(race-baiting, attack on women, unions, jobs record, call him a fascist a few times) and they would come out ahead by a point or two.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #163 on: May 11, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »

Thank God for the Democrats that this guy just can't keep his mouth when he talks to his sugar daddies (and mommies).

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/05/11/walker_talked_of_divide_and_conquer_strategy.html#047869a

A video taken in early 2011 shows Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) saying he would use "divide and conquer" as a strategy against unions, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

"Walker made the comments to billionaire Diane Hendricks, who has since given $510,000 to the governor's campaign -- making her Walker's single-largest donor and the largest known donor to a candidate in state history."

"In the video, Hendricks asked the governor whether he could make Wisconsin a 'completely red state, and work on these unions, and become a right-to-work' state... Walker replied that his 'first step' would be 'to divide and conquer' through his budget-adjustment bill, which curtailed most collective bargaining for most public employee unions."

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K1S_Pxw2n-U
LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
Canada

« Reply #164 on: May 11, 2012, 07:43:07 PM »

Lol busted
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »

Translation:
"I prefer a mild - practical approach that I know will work in solving the state's problems."

1) The democrats and the Unions are divided, so apparently Walker is a genius.

2) Boy does Diane Hendricks look different than I thought she did. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »

Translation:
"I prefer a mild - practical approach that I know will work in solving the state's problems."

1) The democrats and the Unions are divided, so apparently Walker is a genius.

2) Boy does Diane Hendricks look different than I thought she did. 

Apparently your translator was made in India.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »

Meh. The sort of people who were going to vote against Walker anyway are excited about this. The rest of us will get on with our lives. Walker will probably still be re-elected.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #168 on: May 15, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2012, 04:29:35 PM by krazen1211 »

We can cherry-pick dropped balls all we like but the fact remains that PPP's methodology and business ethics as a polling firm, taken as a whole, beat Rasmussen's by a country mile.

Based on PPP, the far superior pollster (according to another liberal in this thread), Ras and PPP are showing the exact same results now. And for that matter the same more or less as this Marquette Poll.

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/

The poll finds Walker ahead of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett by a 50 percent to 44 percent margin.

Shrug.

But let's knock a few points off because someone might like the result better.

It's Rasmussen.  Knock off a few R points and yeah, toss-up.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2012, 04:26:35 PM »

Meh. The sort of people who were going to vote against Walker anyway are excited about this. The rest of us will get on with our lives. Walker will probably still be re-elected.

I feel kind of narcissistic quoting myself, but I was right -- both PPP and Ras have shown Walker remains in the lead, with the video not having really affected much of anything.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »

I feel kind of narcissistic quoting myself, but I was right -- both PPP and Ras have shown Walker remains in the lead, with the video not having really affected much of anything.

Yep, and Marquette too.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2012, 05:26:37 PM »

Thank God for the Democrats that this guy just can't keep his mouth when he talks to his sugar daddies (and mommies).

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2012/05/11/walker_talked_of_divide_and_conquer_strategy.html#047869a

A video taken in early 2011 shows Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker (R) saying he would use "divide and conquer" as a strategy against unions, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports.

"Walker made the comments to billionaire Diane Hendricks, who has since given $510,000 to the governor's campaign -- making her Walker's single-largest donor and the largest known donor to a candidate in state history."

"In the video, Hendricks asked the governor whether he could make Wisconsin a 'completely red state, and work on these unions, and become a right-to-work' state... Walker replied that his 'first step' would be 'to divide and conquer' through his budget-adjustment bill, which curtailed most collective bargaining for most public employee unions."

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=K1S_Pxw2n-U

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that this is the eventual goal of Walker and his ilk, of course.

If he wins, it will certainly be a major victory for those who wish to return to the good old days of the 1800's.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2012, 05:57:02 PM »

If he wins, it will certainly be a major victory for those who wish to return to the good old days of the 1800's.

GDP growth above 2.5% ? ?  unemployment under 8% ? ?
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2012, 06:19:07 PM »

Slavery ? ? Imperialism ? ?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »

Slavery ? ? Imperialism ? ?
When did the Imperialism end?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies