Scott Walker recall goes live
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:47:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scott Walker recall goes live
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26
Author Topic: Scott Walker recall goes live  (Read 104378 times)
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2012, 06:50:55 PM »

If he wins, it will certainly be a major victory for those who wish to return to the good old days of the 1800's.

GDP growth above 2.5% ? ?  unemployment under 8% ? ?
Slavery ? ? Imperialism ? ?
Yes if Scott Walker is re-elected to his first term as governor of Wisconsin, than SLAVERY will be re-instituted and  Wisconsin will exploit it's overseas IMPERIAL colonies. 

Wait, Slavery has never been instituted in Wisconsin and we have no colonies. 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2012, 07:12:31 PM »

apparently MoveOn is reporting that the DNC is pulling out of the recall race. 

this is all I can find on their goofy site:
 http://www.signon.org/sign/democratic-national-committe?source=homepage?rc=homepage.sidebar

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2012, 07:14:26 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2012, 07:16:53 PM by Frodo »

Depending on the results (for Republicans, very encouraging), I think we may be near to finding out who will be Mitt Romney's running-mate....    
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2012, 07:46:59 PM »

Depending on the results (for Republicans, very encouraging), I think we may be near to finding out who will be Mitt Romney's running-mate....    
Walker becoming president of US is a very scary thought.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »

I am legitimately concerned that Biden is senile.  Walker isn't going to be VP, but Biden is actually scary. 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2012, 08:05:43 PM »

I am legitimately concerned that Biden is senile.  Walker isn't going to be VP, but Biden is actually scary. 
Yea that's a serious concern, he made Sarah Palin look comprehensible in the VP debates, which is a noteworthy achievement.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »

If he wins, it will certainly be a major victory for those who wish to return to the good old days of the 1800's.

Yes if Scott Walker is re-elected to his first term as governor of Wisconsin, than SLAVERY will be re-instituted and  Wisconsin will exploit it's overseas IMPERIAL colonies. 

That's not what I meant. I was just saying that the 1800s weren't "The good old days" just because they had a good economy.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »

That's not what I meant. I was just saying that the 1800s weren't "The good old days" just because they had a good economy.

Yeah that 18% unemployment in 1895 and 14% in 1876 sure was good.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »

Yea that's a serious concern, he made Sarah Palin look comprehensible in the VP debates, which is a noteworthy achievement.

Not really, the McCain campaign just had her memorize about 25 answers and constantly pivot to those whenever possible.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 10:58:39 AM by Torie »

GDP growth above 2.5% ? ?  unemployment under 8% ? ?
Yes if Scott Walker is re-elected to his first term as governor of Wisconsin, than SLAVERY will be re-instituted and  Wisconsin will exploit it's overseas IMPERIAL colonies.  

Hey, if we simply forgot almost the entirety of what we now know about medical science, and just turn it all over to quacks, who bleed you from time to time when you get sick, that should solve a lot of our fiscal problems, no?  And as to dentistry, in the good old days blacksmiths handled that.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:55 PM »

GDP growth above 2.5% ? ?  unemployment under 8% ? ?
Yes if Scott Walker is re-elected to his first term as governor of Wisconsin, than SLAVERY will be re-instituted and  Wisconsin will exploit it's overseas IMPERIAL colonies.  

Hey, if we simply forgot almost the entirety of what we now know about medical science, and just turn it all over to quacks, who bleed you from time to time when you get sick, that should solve a lot of our fiscal problems, no?  And as to dentistry, in the good old days blacksmiths handled that.

All of this will happen if Wisconsin public employees contribute a penny toward their million dollar pensions.  Also, the sky will fall and the seas will rise.   
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2012, 09:40:10 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 09:43:36 PM by Torie »

My little point is that the social safety net costs a lot more today than it would in the 19th even if there were a social safety net then comparable to the scope of what we have now. So to the extent the existence of the net truncates growth (debatable), that is just the way it has to be and should be. Thus referring to stats from the 19th century (to the extent that they are accurate and compare apples to apples, which is another rather more complex issue which I won't get into now), it seems rather inapposite to anything within the realm of current public debate. Don't you agree AmericanNation? 
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2012, 10:13:12 PM »

My little point is that the social safety net costs a lot more today than it would in the 19th even if there were a social safety net then comparable to the scope of what we have now. So to the extent the existence of the net truncates growth (debatable), that is just the way it has to be and should be. Thus referring to stats from the 19th century (to the extent that they are accurate and compare apples to apples, which is another rather more complex issue which I won't get into now), it seems rather inapposite to anything within the realm of current public debate. Don't you agree AmericanNation? 

Yes, Scott Walker should not be associated with 19th century: slavery, imperialism, or lack of safety net. 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2012, 10:24:03 PM »

Yes, Scott Walker should not be associated with 19th century: slavery, imperialism, or lack of safety net. 
Yes, you have to go back a couple more centuries.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2012, 02:51:27 AM »

You need to hit that sweet spot where there's no safety net but also no projection capacity for imperialism or slave trade.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »

You need to hit that sweet spot where there's no safety net but also no projection capacity for imperialism or slave trade.
why would you do that?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2012, 12:42:17 PM »

Ah so one century forward. Calvin Coolidge or Hoover?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2012, 01:35:55 PM »

Coolidge Presidency.  Hoover was a great man after his presidency. 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2012, 01:42:15 PM »

Both were terrible for the median worker. I know that's not who you are concerned about, and that's why you think Scott Walker is great.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2012, 11:34:51 PM »

Both were terrible for the median worker. I know that's not who you are concerned about, and that's why you think Scott Walker is great.

Hoover was, legitimately, a great man both before and after his presidency. Just not during.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #195 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:01 AM »

^Re: Hoover: That is debatable. He was Sec of Commerce during Great Mississippi floods of 1927 and he stood by while disgusting abuses and neglect against African Americans occurred.

A good read on the subject
http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Tide-Mississippi-Changed-America/dp/0684840022

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #196 on: May 19, 2012, 01:21:31 AM »

Hoover was, legitimately, a great man both before and after his presidency. Just not during.
Well I was talking about them as presidents.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:56 AM »

Yea you're right, I didn't spend the time to craft that point properly.

Actually, Coolidge was pretty great for the median worker.  Broad prosperity breeds opportunity.

FDR on the other hand was a complete disaster.  He cartelized industries, destroyed agricultural products, attempted artificially to raise prices (in the wake of the Great money Contraction, no less!), launched entirely new regulatory agencies headed by cronies, spent and ran up government debt orgiastically, pumped labor unions with more arbitrary power to behave monopolistically, and demonized entrepreneurs and industrialists.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #198 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:40 AM »

Actually, Coolidge was pretty great for the median worker.  Broad prosperity breeds opportunity.

FDR on the other hand was a complete disaster.  He cartelized industries, destroyed agricultural products, attempted artificially to raise prices (in the wake of the Great money Contraction, no less!), launched entirely new regulatory agencies headed by cronies, spent and ran up government debt orgiastically, pumped labor unions with more arbitrary power to behave monopolistically, and demonized entrepreneurs and industrialists.

Hoover actually started all those things except for the last, which makes the revisionist caricature of him as some kind of laissez-faireist rather more ridiculous.

I'd say he's probably the most genuinely good person to have ever been President, and has a good claim to being the smartest one, too.  Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to make him a *good* one at the time he was in office.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #199 on: May 19, 2012, 06:44:55 PM »

Hoover actually started all those things except for the last, which makes the revisionist caricature of him as some kind of laissez-faireist rather more ridiculous.

I'd say he's probably the most genuinely good person to have ever been President, and has a good claim to being the smartest one, too.  Unfortunately, that wasn't enough to make him a *good* one at the time he was in office.
Hmmm, maybe more like except the last two or three? ...and I don't think the first one to any great extent either, but yes Hoover is sometimes credited with starting the new deal.  I wouldn't try to correlate the two like that though.  Hoover seemingly fell into a technocratic trap.  Knowing how things work, but rolling the dice that you can create a better outcome by threading a needle.  He at least knew how things worked, whereas FDR basically didn't.

Hoover's main blunders:
1) money supply contraction + balancing the budget at the time of the crash (long term is good, not immediately)
2) Smoot–Hawley Tariff... which I think he was personally against, but signed it in a deal.
3) Began our road to insanely Increased regulations. 

1st one is the only major problem ...it magnified the second hugely.  3rd is more of a bad legacy, due to others continually making it worse. 

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 26  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies