Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 10:43:36 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Gubernatorial/Statewide Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Scott Walker recall goes live
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] Print
Author Topic: Scott Walker recall goes live  (Read 32214 times)
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: June 06, 2012, 02:23:51 pm »
Ignore

What you don't seem to get is there used to be limits on how much corporations and individuals could give to candidates.  Now there are not. 

Now we have to make sure it stays that way (shouldn't be too difficult) and that the people approve of this policy, which will take effort. It would also be heartening to see other nations adopt similar laws, of course.
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: June 06, 2012, 02:32:04 pm »
Ignore

What you don't seem to get is there used to be limits on how much corporations and individuals could give to candidates.  Now there are not. 

Now we have to make sure it stays that way (shouldn't be too difficult) and that the people approve of this policy, which will take effort. It would also be heartening to see other nations adopt similar laws, of course.

Why?  So corporations can continue buying/controlling politicians and legislation?

IBDD W#461
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #627 on: June 06, 2012, 02:53:25 pm »
Ignore

we need to make sure that we can have transparency in campaign finance.

Great ambition is the passion of a great character. Those endowed with it may perform very good or very bad acts. All depends on the principles which direct them.-Napoleon Bonaparte

Ones reputation is like a shadow, it is gigantic when it precedes you, and a pigmy in proportion when it follows.- Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord

The world isnt always black and white
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #628 on: June 06, 2012, 02:57:03 pm »
Ignore

Could everyone grow the fyck up, please? Diolch.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 06, 2012, 02:58:12 pm »
Ignore

Why?  So corporations can continue buying/controlling politicians and legislation?

Because not allowing you to spend money in support of your candidate -- yes, however much you want, even if that number exceeds some arbitrary limit -- is frankly rather authoritarian.
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 06, 2012, 03:45:10 pm »
Ignore

Why do some people here want a plutocracy? You childish hacks, this is not a partisan issue, but rather something that could fundamentally change how the country operates. Do all you Republicans really support wealthy people and corporations controlling political campaigns? And please don't respond with some silly "omgz obama did it too omgz", but rather how you truly feel campaigns should be run. And while money isn't always that important in races like for President or Governor (especially when the candidate being bombarded is well known like Jerry Brown), they do matter for lower level races.

Anyways, what we need is transparency. If you donate money to a campaign, everyone should be able to know immediately who you donated to and how much. Not months after the fact when the campaign might be over. And even that isn't enough. Citizens v United will ruin this country, and it's sickening to see some celebrating it. This is not a partisan issue, and I hope you Republicans who are being benefited now will recognize that.
Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 06, 2012, 03:52:02 pm »
Ignore

What you don't seem to get is there used to be limits on how much corporations and individuals could give to candidates.  Now there are not.  

Why?  So corporations can continue buying/controlling politicians and legislation?

Because not allowing you to spend money in support of your candidate -- yes, however much you want, even if that number exceeds some arbitrary limit -- is frankly rather authoritarian.

And letting the guy who has all of the cash make the decisions is not (whether it's Democrats or Republicans calling the shots)?

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 06, 2012, 06:24:55 pm »
Ignore

On this money thing, the Dems could have poured money into the sinkhole if they wanted to. They wisely chose not to. Plus, internal public employee union communications, facilitation, transportation, and boots on the ground is not counted in the financial figures. Finally, money has decreasing marginal returns. I suspect most voters were aware of the key issues.

In other news, the public employee unions took it on the chin in San Diego (where the Pubs may be headed to taking over the city council to boot), and in San Jose. They had a really bad night. There appears to be a new sheriff in town.

Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:00 pm »
Ignore

Do you think these ballot measures in SD and SJ are legal? If so that is a good measure to put on the state ballot. I bet it would pass easily.
Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:06 pm »
Ignore

There might be a good case for restricting donations if there was evidence that lots of money can buy elections. There isn't.

Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:08 pm »
Ignore

So Walker +6.8 is final margin, it seems. Solid win for him. A bit bigger than I was expecting.

It's kind of cool that the Dems actually took the Senate though, I guess. I was kind of surprised when I read that this morning.

Aaron is pissed:

She was like "How did you get my number?  I don't handle this issue.  You have to call the South Bryant Campus for that.  I'll transfer you, but I don't handle it."  She said it in a slightly condescending tone.  I didn't tell her that Grumps gave me the number.  I just told her I looked it up.
Jbrase
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.32, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 06, 2012, 11:48:40 pm »
Ignore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC_ult6-Tb4

Here is the inevitable "Hitler finds out..." video lol..

BigSkyBob
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 07, 2012, 11:22:42 am »
Ignore

The left's other hope for removing Walker has been the possibility that he is convicted for alleged crimes in Milwaukee. Now that the recall bullet has been fired,  he can't be recalled even if indicted. Even if convicted, he would merely have to resign, allowing his Lt Governor to serve at least one year before being subject to recall. Nor, do I believe Walker would opt for a "speedy trial." Whatever happens, it looks like there will be a Republican governor in Wisconsin until the 2014 election.

The real scandal in Washington is not the bribery, corruption, or sex. It is how poorly we are governed.
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 08, 2012, 09:06:19 am »
Ignore

Could everyone grow the fyck up, please? Diolch.
Bit late for that, is it not?

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 08, 2012, 04:14:37 pm »
Ignore

Walker actually won a ward in Madison proper, a very suburban area on the far west side.

At the other extreme, there were eleven Barrett 90+ wards in the city - two in minority areas on the south side, one on campus, one off Monroe St, and then seven contiguous wards (of which two were 95+) encompassing the area basically from Blair St. out to Commercial Ave. between the lakes and Starkweather Creek.
AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 19, 2012, 08:33:19 am »
Ignore

Walker actually won a ward in Madison proper, a very suburban area on the far west side.

At the other extreme, there were eleven Barrett 90+ wards in the city - two in minority areas on the south side, one on campus, one off Monroe St, and then seven contiguous wards (of which two were 95+) encompassing the area basically from Blair St. out to Commercial Ave. between the lakes and Starkweather Creek.
On some levels that is scary. On others, sad.  Lot's of mixed feelings about the peoples republic of Madistan.   

krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 19, 2012, 10:20:48 am »
Ignore

Primary results in Milwaukee County.

http://whitefishbay.patch.com/articles/pasch-wins-10th-assembly-district-seat

The village voted for Pasch by an overwhelming majority — nearly 96 percent, according to unofficial results from the Shorewood Village Clerk's office.

Of the 3,531 ballots cast in her favor, Pasch received 2,060 from Shorewood residents, which is 35 percent of all of those who voted in the race.

Amazing!  White liberals in shorewood decide to vote in lockstep for a white liberal to overtake the votes of 44k 80+% black precincts in Milwaukee.

Pasch appears to have gotten roughly 1600 votes in Milwaukee precincts while the black candidate Coby got roughly 1950 votes in Milwaukee.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 10:24:11 am by krazen1211 »Logged
coyolxauhqui
a Person
YaBB God
Costa Rica

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 19, 2012, 11:11:08 am »
Ignore

The village voted for Pasch by an overwhelming majority — nearly 96 percent, according to unofficial results from the Shorewood Village Clerk's office.

Of the 3,531 ballots cast in her favor, Pasch received 2,060 from Shorewood residents, which is 35 percent of all of those who voted in the race.

Amazing!  White liberals in shorewood decide to vote in lockstep for a white liberal to overtake the votes of 44k 80+% black precincts in Milwaukee.

Pasch appears to have gotten roughly 1600 votes in Milwaukee precincts while the black candidate Coby got roughly 1950 votes in Milwaukee.

Krazen unexpectedly forgets to mention that Pasch was already representing Shorewood and that she, unlike the other candidates, campaigned door-to-door.

krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 19, 2012, 04:08:42 pm »
Ignore

Amazing!  White liberals in shorewood decide to vote in lockstep for a white liberal to overtake the votes of 44k 80+% black precincts in Milwaukee.

Krazen unexpectedly forgets to mention that Pasch was already representing Shorewood and that she, unlike the other candidates, campaigned door-to-door.

Oh yes, I'm well aware of that. What is interesting, other than the absurd soviet style 96-3 margin, is that the black candidate was from Shorewood while Pasch is from Whitefish Bay!

It's no wonder that blacks demand their own districts when white liberals parachute in from elsewhere and steal their districts. Coby had the support of much of the Milwaukee black establishment, but obviously that was not enough to stop Pasch.
AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 21, 2012, 06:51:09 am »
Ignore

Oh yes, I'm well aware of that. What is interesting, other than the absurd soviet style 96-3 margin, is that the black candidate was from Shorewood while Pasch is from Whitefish Bay!

It's no wonder that blacks demand their own districts when white liberals parachute in from elsewhere and steal their districts. Coby had the support of much of the Milwaukee black establishment, but obviously that was not enough to stop Pasch.
Amazing how much the media covered the congressional redistricting and portrayed it as an extreme+illegal republican conspiracy (when in fact it was just about the least aggressive a party with complete control could possibly be) (the only court action was to move a line dividing two DEMOCRAT districts so that Hispanics would have a better chance at representation) and this systematic wipe out of black officials at the hands of east side white 'progressives' is "nothing to see here, nothing happening here, I'm shocked--shocked at the suggestion."

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 21, 2012, 07:03:06 am »
Ignore

News on the indictment of Governor Walker that will happen "any day now" for the last 27 months...
http://wisconsinreporter.com/exclusive-da-questions-john-doe-evidence-gathering-methods

The Milwaukee County DA is apparently expanding the net into state government ('covertly' via open records request), despite the fact that the John Doe investigation started  (at Walker's request) before Walker was elected governor and despite the fact that it appears to be unusual, desperate, and out of jurisdiction.  Apparently you can be perpetually investigated forever (27 months and counting) for no reason in the democrats version of America.  This witch hunt needed to end yesterday. 

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout