Scott Walker recall goes live (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:28:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Scott Walker recall goes live (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Scott Walker recall goes live  (Read 105217 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« on: January 18, 2012, 11:28:12 AM »

So if Walker wins, can't they just turn around and get another million signatures and recall him again? And if they lose that, a 3rd time?

Nothing in the GAB website seems to have prohibited such.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/

The poll finds Walker ahead of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett by a 50 percent to 44 percent margin. Walker leads the only announced Democratic candidate, former Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, with a 49 percent to 42 percent margin. Walker leads former Congressman David Obey by 49 percent to 43 percent. Janesville Democratic State Senator Tim Cullen receives 40 percent to Walker’s 50 percent.

74 percent favored and 22 percent opposed requiring state workers to pay more for pension and health benefits
66 percent favored and 32 percent opposed the state’s new voter ID law

Lol, dominating.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »

If a loser could take down Scott Walker, Barrett would be doing better.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 02:29:26 PM »

First off, I wouldn't start counting chickens, the election is still a good way off and it is just like a regular election where noting is guaranteed. The ads aren't even up yet and Republicans clearly think they can win this without doing any work, which only serves to work in the opposition's favor.

Uh, they don't think that at all; Scott Walker has been on a fundraising bonanza preparing for this recall.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 07:23:25 PM »

http://elections.wispolitics.com/2012/02/cullen-drops-out-of-guv-race.html

State Sen. Tim Cullen announced this afternoon that he is dropping out of the guv's race.

He said he cannot raise the $1 million to $2 million he believes is needed to deliver his message against other candidates with more resources and better name recognition.

Cullen's latest campaign finance report showed he had just $26,299 in the bank at the end of 2011 after raising just $157 over the six-month period.

$157.....lol.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:15:51 AM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2012/election_2012_governor_elections/wisconsin/54_in_wisconsin_oppose_recall_of_gop_governor_walker

A new Rasmussen Reports telephone survey finds that 52% of Likely Wisconsin Voters at least somewhat approve of Walker’s job performance to date, while 46% at least somewhat disapprove. These findings include 40% who Strongly Approve of how the Republican governor is doing and just as many (40%) who Strongly Disapprove.

Looking good.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 02:28:06 PM »

It's pretty impressive that a full 94% of people who disapprove of Walker want him recalled, and yet his disapproval is only a few points underwater.  That is one polarized electorate.

Thank you Scott Walker!

Based off of PPP, the far superior polling outfit, it looks like his negatives are going back up and Independents view him negatively at 43-55. Its going to be really close when it is all said and done. 

Lol, as if! Just a couple days ago PPP was blabbering about the Santorum surge in Michigan and polled Romney at a mere +17 in Arizona. Whoops.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

It's pretty impressive that a full 94% of people who disapprove of Walker want him recalled, and yet his disapproval is only a few points underwater.  That is one polarized electorate.

Thank you Scott Walker!

Based off of PPP, the far superior polling outfit, it looks like his negatives are going back up and Independents view him negatively at 43-55. Its going to be really close when it is all said and done. 

Lol, as if! Just a couple days ago PPP was blabbering about the Santorum surge in Michigan and polled Romney at a mere +17 in Arizona. Whoops.

Yes, their primary polling being like three or four points off during a season specifically notable for bizarre shifts in momentum at the drop of a hat is clearly indicative of fundamental unreliability, as opposed to Rasmussen, which has never exhibited consistent bias towards Republican candidates and causes, right? Right?

We can cherry-pick dropped balls all we like but the fact remains that PPP's methodology and business ethics as a polling firm, taken as a whole, beat Rasmussen's by a country mile.

The most recent polling shows that Rasmussen has put up solid results.

Other pollsters did better than PPP in the Michigan/Arizona primaries. I wonder why some people have a problem with that.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »

The most recent polling in what races? I'm entirely willing to accept that Rasmussen might have significantly better methodology for Republican primaries, since it's a right-leaning company and PPP is a left-leaning one even though it has a very slight Republican bias in general election races.

I don't have a problem with it. I just don't see what it has to do with polling approval ratings in anticipation of a recall election in Wisconsin.

Well, for instance, Rasmussen was Romney +16 in the Florida primary. PPP's final Florida Primary poll that I have found was Romney +8. Given how the actual results were Romney +14, it seems to be like Rasmussen was closer.

Seems to me like the best mechanism to judge polling is accuracy to actual results. Recent results are of course Republican primary results. Meanwhile, Rasmussen's results in other polls (see Kaine, Allen) have been more or less the same as everyone else's.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »

But do you understand that there are qualitative difference in general versus primary election polling and Rasmussen hasn't had immensely good general election polling for several years?

Certainly. And soon enough we will have results. Of course in Wisconsin, numerous pollsters have shown Thompson dominating Baldwin. PPP is what you call an outlier!!!!!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 08:39:59 PM »

I'm pulling for Governor Walker, he's been a pretty decent governor so far. (Not as good as Kasich or Snyder, but still pretty good.)

What? Scott Walker, a decent governor? What has he done right, at all? I can understand liking his going head to head with the unions (since you seem to be a Republican), but other than that, what good has he done?

He's balanced Wisconsin's budget.

And at what cost?

Not much at all, unless you're a butthurt union.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »

I'm pulling for Governor Walker, he's been a pretty decent governor so far. (Not as good as Kasich or Snyder, but still pretty good.)

What? Scott Walker, a decent governor? What has he done right, at all? I can understand liking his going head to head with the unions (since you seem to be a Republican), but other than that, what good has he done?

He's balanced Wisconsin's budget.

And at what cost?

Not much at all, unless you're a butthurt union.

You do realize that the unions had already agreed to Walker's budget cuts, and only went up in arms when he restricted collective bargaining, right? Because that's what happened. It isn't the budget that's the issue.

Certainly then, the cost was not much at all, was it?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 11:48:17 AM »

The cost came in the life and pride of the working people of Wisconsin, which is bound up in collective bargaining. Unless you're playing dumb or sincerely believe that 'cost' is a solely budgetary term.

Who are these people who lost their life and pride that was formerly 'bound up' in collective bargaining for certain public sector unions?

Particularly life!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 05:51:13 PM »

The cost came in the life and pride of the working people of Wisconsin, which is bound up in collective bargaining. Unless you're playing dumb or sincerely believe that 'cost' is a solely budgetary term.

Who are these people who lost their life and pride that was formerly 'bound up' in collective bargaining for certain public sector unions?

Particularly life!

Sorry. I meant 'way of' life, not that the people were literally killed. I thought this would be obvious, but I keep forgetting you're not one for appreciating any kind of linguistic nuance.

I am referring, of course, to cops, teachers, and firefighters, who have lost their right to negotiate on any kind of even ground for work conditions or benefits; to the private sector unions who are justifiably afraid that they might be next considering the kind of vile rhetoric being spewed from certain quarters on the Right; and those people in Wisconsin who might not have a personal interest or stake but who are simply rightly proud of their state's union and labor history.

Of course, it's pretty clear that you don't understand why one would care a jot about groups that one isn't directly part of, so you will, of course, continue to levy the rhetoric of tax-based spite against groups that almost certainly do more for society than whatever it is that you do.

The legislation that Scott Walker signed exempts police and firemen from many of its provisions. So you're at best 1 for 3 before you start getting into amusing hypotheticals.

One wonders whether these people are also justifiably afraid of Obama raising their taxes given the nature of the vile rhetoric being spewed from the Left.

I would love to meet someone who is so antagonized by the violation of their 'rightful pride' in this union and labor history. Certainly they must be quite wealthy to be so worried about such things.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 08:52:25 PM »

Then why did those unions still mobilize against it? Could they possibly have--gasp!--cared about other working people and feared for their own rights on the basis of things happening to others?!

Certainly, for the right to mobilize public funding for the benefit of the Democratic party and other chosen politicians.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Certainly the fear is much better grounded than that. Former governor Jim Doyle of course proposes billions of dollars on tax increases. This of course after he said in 2003 that he would not raise taxes! Taxes and fees, of course, that impact every working citizen and not a select few who happen to live in Dane County and scream a lot because the lavish government benefits they have let them skip work, while real working citizens actually go to work to pay their salaries.

Given that Walker specifically exempted policemen from the union bill, it would be absurd to fear him doing so. Unless of course one has more sinister motives.

There is certainly no established right to collectively bargain with government entities! Great states like Virginia stamped out collective bargaining decades ago and reaped the windfall of their heroic actions.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, of course. They abuse market power through a loophole in the Sherman act.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 01:04:08 PM »

Scott Walker takes a lead in PPP poll.

Prior listed:

Tom Barrett (D): 45 (49)
Scott Walker (R-inc): 50 (46)
Hari Trivedi (I): 2
Undecided: 3 (3)

Kathleen Falk (D): 43 (48)
Scott Walker (R-inc): 50 (47)
Hari Trivedi (I): 3
Undecided: 3 (5)

Dominating!
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 01:08:42 PM »
« Edited: April 16, 2012, 01:17:34 PM by krazen1211 »

You have a profoundly strange definition of 'dominating', did you know that? Do you have some sort of weird psychosexual trait to which that word is relevant or something?

Err, what? The word is typically used to describe those who are victorious in competitive contests.

See the following sentence:

Kentucky completes dominating season with national title

In addition it's a nice sound effect in unreal tournament.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 05:14:05 PM »

Scott Walker has raised $13 million since January. The people are rallying behind the great union buster.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolitics/walker-raises-13-million-since-january-8o57q7r-149561525.html

Gov. Scott Walker raised $13 million since January to fight off the recall bid against him, far outdistancing his Democratic challengers and driving home the challenge they will have in beating the Republican incumbent.

Criss-crossing the country on fundraising trips, Walker has raised more than $25 million in total since January 2011 and has $4.8 million in cash on hand - numbers unlike any that have been seen for a political candidate in Wisconsin.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 09:03:19 AM »

Why does the great union buster have to criss-cross the country on his fundraising trips?

Has to? I don't think he has to, but rather given his rock star status many people outside Wisconsin want to show support for a champion like him. It's certainly prudent to do so for Scott Walker.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 02:03:18 PM »

Why does the great union buster have to criss-cross the country on his fundraising trips?

Has to? I don't think he has to, but rather given his rock star status many people outside Wisconsin want to show support for a champion like him. It's certainly prudent to do so for Scott Walker.

Prudent, yes, but does him not spending his time within the state he's ostensibly governing indicate more concern for Wisconsin or more concern for Scott Walker?

Probably the latter. The foremost concern of most politicians is maintaining elected office. The Wisconsin legislative session is of course also over.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:06 PM »

I suspect the margin will end up rather similar to 2010. I think the state is pretty evenly divided on Walker's actions but there's a portion of the population out there (5-10%) that opposes recalls out of principle and that'll carry the day for Walker.

Yeah this.

Will have a very high turnout. Democrats hate Walker whereas Republicans love him.

http://m.jsonline.com/blogs/news/150760775.html

Milwaukee Mayor Barrett enjoyed his biggest countywide margins in Milwaukee County Tuesday. But the county’s turnout rate was much lower than Dane’s: 17% of voting-age adults, or 123,638 people, voted in the Democratic primary
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 04:24:13 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2012, 04:29:35 PM by krazen1211 »

We can cherry-pick dropped balls all we like but the fact remains that PPP's methodology and business ethics as a polling firm, taken as a whole, beat Rasmussen's by a country mile.

Based on PPP, the far superior pollster (according to another liberal in this thread), Ras and PPP are showing the exact same results now. And for that matter the same more or less as this Marquette Poll.

https://law.marquette.edu/poll/

The poll finds Walker ahead of Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett by a 50 percent to 44 percent margin.

Shrug.

But let's knock a few points off because someone might like the result better.

It's Rasmussen.  Knock off a few R points and yeah, toss-up.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2012, 12:44:36 PM »

Meh. The sort of people who were going to vote against Walker anyway are excited about this. The rest of us will get on with our lives. Walker will probably still be re-elected.

I feel kind of narcissistic quoting myself, but I was right -- both PPP and Ras have shown Walker remains in the lead, with the video not having really affected much of anything.

Yep, and Marquette too.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 08:05:38 AM »

He released information that traditionally doesn't get released until June for his political gain(to defend himself from re-election), so why would it be wrong for Democrats to indict him before the re-election for their political gain?

Since when can political parties indict anyone? Or are you suggesting the investigation is led by partisans?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »

Another day, another poll, another big lead for Scott Walker.

http://wauwatosa.patch.com/articles/walker-maintains-consistent-lead-over-barrett-in-latest-poll

In a telephone survey of 406 Wisconsin residents conducted between Thursday and Tuesday, 50 percent of respondents said they would vote for Walker compared to 45 percent for Barrett if the election were held today. Five percent remained undecided.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies