As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:23:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 311764 times)
J-Mann
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1975 on: August 07, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »

Jeff, I'm interested to know how you got a supervisory position after such a short amount of time with the company (where, prior to promotion, you had a bad feeling about your chances of making it) and -- to my knowledge -- no supervisory experience. I find it strange that a company would put anyone in a position of coaching and mentoring others when they don't have either a) a long tenure with the business, or b) significant prior experience. Three of my current sales reps worked with Xerox through distributors, and it's not an industry for those with weak constitutions.

Also, this job doesn't start until October 1, correct? What will you be doing for a month-and-a-half in Salt Lake City? What will be your funding source until the job begins?

I'm certainly not trying to be a downer ... God knows (as well as some of the members of this forum) that I truly wish you the best. But there are a number of details about this move that concern me. If nothing else, consider them questions designed to satisfy my curiosity. I like to believe I'm fairly savvy ... in business and in common sense. Something about a promotion that leaves you jobless for seven weeks, a company that doesn't provide benefits for more than six months, and a rapid departure without an apparent source of income involving an individual who was making less than $20,000 a year doesn't make sense to me. Please clarify.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1976 on: August 07, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

Jeff, I'm interested to know how you got a supervisory position after such a short amount of time with the company (where, prior to promotion, you had a bad feeling about your chances of making it) and -- to my knowledge -- no supervisory experience. I find it strange that a company would put anyone in a position of coaching and mentoring others when they don't have either a) a long tenure with the business, or b) significant prior experience. Three of my current sales reps worked with Xerox through distributors, and it's not an industry for those with weak constitutions.

Also, this job doesn't start until October 1, correct? What will you be doing for a month-and-a-half in Salt Lake City? What will be your funding source until the job begins?

I'm certainly not trying to be a downer ... God knows (as well as some of the members of this forum) that I truly wish you the best. But there are a number of details about this move that concern me. If nothing else, consider them questions designed to satisfy my curiosity. I like to believe I'm fairly savvy ... in business and in common sense. Something about a promotion that leaves you jobless for seven weeks, a company that doesn't provide benefits for more than six months, and a rapid departure without an apparent source of income involving an individual who was making less than $20,000 a year doesn't make sense to me. Please clarify.

When I started the job last June, I was told there would be rapid advancement at least for the first step up the ladder.  At the end of the 4th week, my General Manager said they would be conducting interviews the next week.  I interviewed for a Quality Analyst position and did not get that.  Then, the next week on Monday, July 23, 2012, I interviewed for a supervisor position was starting to get discouraged about that since it had been a week.  Then, last Tuesday morning, July 31, I receive a phone call while I was recovering from my illness that I had been accepted for that position, and there were four locations I could choose from, none being Oklahoma City.  The four locations were Portland, Oregon; Salt Lake City, Utah; Lexington, Kentucky; Raleigh, North Carolina.  I chose Salt Lake City.  The position was supposed to start on October 1, but that it could change as they were still ironing out some details.  However, I got a call last Thursday morning from my Salt Lake City supervisor wanting to set up a face to face meeting just to get to know each other and so I'll know where I will report and he said the position will actually start September 17.  They cutoff my service in Oklahoma City on July 31 to give me time to focus solely on the move without having to lose time while at work.  They told me that they were going to reimburse me for my bills while I'm out of work and also pay for the movers.  I just have to show them the receipt.  I got all this in writing so they can't go back on their word.  My mother and I are going up there next Thursday to lease the apartment and get the furniture moved in and settled and so I can get everything switched over that I need to such as Drivers License, Car Tag & Title, etc. before work begins.  He said that if I get settled in sooner than that and want to start, then to call him up and I can start that next Monday.

As far as the benefits go, a lot of companies I've found require their employees to wait 6 months before they get benefits.  I've got the bills taken care of to get up there and the funds to exist on for the 4 weeks after I get up there before I start work.  They will reimburse me in installments on my first several paychecks.  It won't be one big check, it will be spread out over my paychecks through November.

I hope that satisfies some of your curiosity.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1977 on: August 08, 2012, 12:24:13 AM »

It's starting to dawn on me.  Today is Wednesday, 8 August 2012.  This means I officially leave 1 week from tomorrow on Thursday, 16 August 2012!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1978 on: August 08, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »

It must have been what, two years now since he's had sex? I'd get engaged as soon as I could if I were in his shoes, I wouldn't be able to help it.

I'm not worried about it right now, honestly.  In fact, I would prefer to remain single for right now so I can get myself fully established before I take care of someone else.  As they say on airplanes as part of their safety checklist, "adjust your nozzle before you help someone else."  I know the analogy fails quite miserably after that, but go with it!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1979 on: August 08, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »

Good luck!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1980 on: August 08, 2012, 01:25:48 AM »

When I started the job last June, I was told there would be rapid advancement at least for the first step up the ladder.  At the end of the 4th week, my General Manager said they would be conducting interviews the next week.  I interviewed for a Quality Analyst position and did not get that.  Then, the next week on Monday, July 23, 2012, I interviewed for a supervisor position was starting to get discouraged about that since it had been a week.  Then, last Tuesday morning, July 31, I receive a phone call while I was recovering from my illness that I had been accepted for that position, and there were four locations I could choose from, none being Oklahoma City.  The four locations were Portland, Oregon; Salt Lake City, Utah; Lexington, Kentucky; Raleigh, North Carolina.  I chose Salt Lake City.  The position was supposed to start on October 1, but that it could change as they were still ironing out some details.  However, I got a call last Thursday morning from my Salt Lake City supervisor wanting to set up a face to face meeting just to get to know each other and so I'll know where I will report and he said the position will actually start September 17.  They cutoff my service in Oklahoma City on July 31 to give me time to focus solely on the move without having to lose time while at work.  They told me that they were going to reimburse me for my bills while I'm out of work and also pay for the movers.  I just have to show them the receipt.  I got all this in writing so they can't go back on their word.  My mother and I are going up there next Thursday to lease the apartment and get the furniture moved in and settled and so I can get everything switched over that I need to such as Drivers License, Car Tag & Title, etc. before work begins.  He said that if I get settled in sooner than that and want to start, then to call him up and I can start that next Monday.

As far as the benefits go, a lot of companies I've found require their employees to wait 6 months before they get benefits.  I've got the bills taken care of to get up there and the funds to exist on for the 4 weeks after I get up there before I start work.  They will reimburse me in installments on my first several paychecks.  It won't be one big check, it will be spread out over my paychecks through November.

All the more absurd....
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1981 on: August 08, 2012, 03:45:31 AM »

Wait, what are you back on the fence about? The presidential election or the move?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1982 on: August 08, 2012, 07:56:23 AM »

Jeff, I have a suggestion for you. Don't get a new drivers License, tags and all that before you start working. I've lived by the 3 month rule. You are normally given a 3 month grace period on it, and that way you should be stable at that point. If something happens and you're out of a job before that, and you have to move back to Oklahoma, you wont be out the money for changing them back and forth.

Of course, that's what I've been doing with all my moves this year.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1983 on: August 08, 2012, 08:12:51 AM »

Jeff, I have a suggestion for you. Don't get a new drivers License, tags and all that before you start working. I've lived by the 3 month rule. You are normally given a 3 month grace period on it, and that way you should be stable at that point. If something happens and you're out of a job before that, and you have to move back to Oklahoma, you wont be out the money for changing them back and forth.

He's not selling his house so this job is no sure thing......plates and licenses are no big whup,  your'e right, no rush.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1984 on: August 08, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »

All the more absurd....

How is it more absurd?  There is nothing fishy about what I just posted.  Businesses don't have a one-size-fits-all approach to promoting.  Businesses are allowed to do things that will best benefit their bottom line, even if its not what everybody else does.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1985 on: August 08, 2012, 08:45:35 AM »

Utah gives me 60 days to change things over, but I want to go ahead and do it if for nothing else so I can register to vote in Utah.  I'll probably do it in early September.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1986 on: August 08, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »

He's not selling his house so this job is no sure thing......plates and licenses are no big whup,  your'e right, no rush.

The job is a sure thing, the only reason I'm keeping the house is because of what happened to me in Kansas City and Dallas when things turned on me on a dime.  I'm being very cautious right now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1987 on: August 08, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »

The job is a sure thing, the only reason I'm keeping the house is because of what happened to me in Kansas City and Dallas when things turned on me on a dime.  I'm being very cautious right now.

Good man!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1988 on: August 08, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »

Wait, what are you back on the fence about? The presidential election or the move?

The election
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1989 on: August 08, 2012, 12:17:05 PM »

The election

The Muslim vs The Mormon would be a tough one.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1990 on: August 08, 2012, 12:36:54 PM »

All the more absurd....

How is it more absurd?  There is nothing fishy about what I just posted.  Businesses don't have a one-size-fits-all approach to promoting.  Businesses are allowed to do things that will best benefit their bottom line, even if its not what everybody else does.

I realize Business's don't have  one sized fit all approach however to make someone who has no previous experience as a Supervisor , a supervisor that quickly doesn't pass the small test.  I hope I'm wrong, but something just doesn't seem right.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1991 on: August 08, 2012, 05:10:45 PM »

All the more absurd....

I realize Business's don't have  one sized fit all approach however to make someone who has no previous experience as a Supervisor , a supervisor that quickly doesn't pass the small test.  I hope I'm wrong, but something just doesn't seem right.

How does one gain experience as a supervisor?  Does the rule that everybody has to start somewhere not apply here, or does it not apply to me?

Anyway, we have a good plan going.  My supervisor wants to meet with me next week and his secretary will call me on Friday to set up the date.  The day before we meet, I am going to fly out there and then he'll call the apartment to verify my employment and then I'll lease the apartment and fly home.  After I fly home, we'll get everything finished up and packed up and then Mom and I will drive up there.  We want to do it this way so if by some low chance this doesn't work out, then all the money we'll be out is a plane ticket/rental car/hotel instead of the mover's expenses.  I don't expect anything to fall through, because my supervisor reiterated today that this job is guaranteed, but that he wants to meet with me in person to confirm to him that i haven't backed out.  The last thing he wants to do is tell the apartment I am employed when I am actually not employed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1992 on: August 08, 2012, 05:11:50 PM »

Utah gives me 60 days to change things over, but I want to go ahead and do it if for nothing else so I can register to vote in Utah.  I'll probably do it in early September.

And if the job doesn't work out, you don't mind dropping all of that money into changing all of that?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1993 on: August 08, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »

Have you ever been in any type of supervisory position anywhere?  Including places where you simply volunteer?  And if so, how many people reported to you?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1994 on: August 08, 2012, 05:17:30 PM »

Have you ever been in any type of supervisory position anywhere?  Including places where you simply volunteer?  And if so, how many people reported to you?

Yes, I was a supervisor (Assistant Director) of a computer camp in summers of 2007 and 2008 in Philadelphia/Boston in 2007 and Atlanta in 2008.  About 10 people at each site reported to me.  Granted that was only for the summer, but it still was a supervisory role.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1995 on: August 08, 2012, 05:20:42 PM »

And if the job doesn't work out, you don't mind dropping all of that money into changing all of that?

That's another reason I'm going to fly up there next week to test the waters and make absolutely sure everything is guaranteed and set in stone before we drop tons of money on the movers, the apartment, and the car tag and title.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1996 on: August 08, 2012, 06:07:52 PM »

What in the hell kind of company makes you wait over six months for benefits!?

That doesn't sound particularly strange to me, given that most companies don't even provide any benefits at all.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1997 on: August 08, 2012, 08:53:42 PM »

Sounds like the job is going to fall through.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1998 on: August 08, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »

Sounds like the job is going to fall through.

I highly doubt it.  He reiterated to me this afternoon that the job is secure he just wants to meet with me in person to make sure I haven't backed out.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1999 on: August 08, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »

I am just waiting for the day when Bushie stops walking with a limp like Keyser Soze and gets into a car driven by Jamespol.

Well even if I have huge doubts on the sincerity of a lot posted in this thread, I wish you luck in your new path.
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 77 78 79 [80] 81 82 83 84 85 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies