As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:48:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 312217 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »

The interview is over and I did awesome!! One of the requirements for the position is that one possess or be able to obtain a secret security clearance. One of my first phrases out of my mouth was "I have a secret security clearance in my possession". Their eyes got real wide and I saw a big grin on their faces! Of the 10 questions (5 Windows, 5 Mac), I got 4.5-5 Windows questions correct, and 4 ...Mac questions correct). Last interview, I only got 2 of 10 correct. This interview 8.5-9 out of 10, depending on how they score one of them. I should have an answer by Wednesday, maybe Thursday, and I could start anytime after that. I have been told over and over by many different sources very close to me and the situation to not worry, that I have this thing in the bag, they just have to extend the courtesy to the rest of the applicants not to let the cat out of the bag. Now, I'm off the remainder of the day as one of my coworkers and I are swapping shifts so he can go to Tulsa tomorrow. I am working 1:30-7:00 tomorrow.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #476 on: February 24, 2012, 10:04:27 PM »

I'm getting more and more confident about the results every time I think about the interview.  I did great on the interview and did so much better than what I did the first time around.  Like I said, I got at least 8-9 questions of the 10 correct.  4.0-5.0 out of 5 of the Windows (depending on how they score it) and 4 of 5 of the Mac questions, which is so much better than getting 2 out of 10 Windows questions and 0 out of 5 Mac questions the last time around.  I started off the interview on the right foot, I looked them in the eye and I was asked to introduce myself to the other interviewer and I said something along the lines of "I've worked in call centers/technical support for several years, at ONG, at Sprint, Convergys.  I have a 4-year Bachelor of Science in E-Commerce from Northwestern Oklahoma State University and I have a secret security clearance in my possession." I made sure to use a little force in my voice when I mentioned the secret clearance, since that is a requirement for the position.  Their eyes got wide and their grin got big, so I knew I struck a chord with them and that just set the tone for the rest of the interview.  I answered each question with confidence and without hesitation.  Even one of the questions I got wrong, I gave a confident answer and mentioned the correct answer even though I landed on somewhat of a correct answer.  The question was how do you access Advanced Startup options in Windows.  The correct answer is F8, and I mentioned that in the answer explanation, but I settled on the Esc key which is correct in DOS systems.  They may look at that as totally wrong, half right, or all right, I just don't know.  There was only one answer that I hesitated on, but only for 3 seconds and then I was able to give the correct answer.  I know the answers were correct because I verified my answers with my team lead after the interview.

I won't know until Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, but my contract managers and Dell themselves have been talking me up a lot and they are doing everything they can to get me on permanent.  I should start either on March 5 or 12, but Dell can be unpredictable at times, so it is possible I could start in the middle of the week.  The freeze goes into effect on March 12, so definitely on or before that date.

Talent Acquisitions will notify me via email about the decision one way or the other.  I am VERY confident about this.  Right now, it is in God's hands, there is nothing I can do further about it.  If He wants me to have this job, He will give it to me.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #477 on: February 25, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

I just started making a list of what I need to take with me to Africa.  I'm going to do the vast majority of my packing next Saturday except for the toiletries and medicine.  I will set aside the clothes I'm going to take and pack them away.  After today, I've only got two more Saturday's until I leave.

I'm packing early because with everything going on at work, I could very easily procrastinate, which will force me to cram and probably forget things that I need.  I don't want to run that risk, even though there is a Walmart-style store in Kisumu.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #478 on: February 26, 2012, 09:22:54 AM »

The way it is looking right now, I should get the job offer in my email either Tuesday afternoon or Wednesday morning. Every sign is pointing to a job offer coming in my inbox complete with my pay and start date.  The second half of this week I could be very busy with HR making the transition from Non Dell Badge to Dell Badge.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #479 on: February 26, 2012, 09:28:10 AM »

whoa, whoa, whoa... spoiler warning???
It's foreshadowing. Very common literary technique.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #480 on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »

Its Sunday evening, and the new work night will begin in 30 minutes at 9:00.  I won't hear anything tomorrow most likely, but i may get more vibes.  I could hear definitely as early as Tuesday, possibly Wednesday.  Even though, I won't hear the definitive answer tomorrow, I'm hoping to get an even better indication of how things went.  I'm 95% positive I did well enough to get the job, but I can't be 100% until I actually receive the job offer in my email.  The next couple of days could be pins and needles for me.  However, even if this doesn't go through, all hope is not lost.  After the freeze lifts on April 23, I still have about 4 or 5 more positions that I applied to that have yet to interview.  My contract has through May 8.  If I don't get the job this week, then after I get back from Kenya, I'll get started looking again and still have about 5-6 weeks to look before the contract expires.  I feel comfortable with forgoing AT&T as I think it was somewhat premature, especially since I would have had to come back from Kenya a day early which while possible may have been a lot more expensive.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #481 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »

I love cliffhangers.  The writers are good this season
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #482 on: February 27, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »

Every time I think back on Friday's interview, I grow more and more confident.  Not only the questions themselves, but I answered the questions forcefully and without hesitation. The longest hesitation I had was about 4-5 seconds and then I gave the correct answer. Starting off the interview with my clearance status really helped I believe, plus I have 9 months knowledge of the account, so they won't have to train someone new. Plus, my contract managers have been talking me up real high and have been telling everybody who will listen and who has the power to do anything to get me on permanent.  I asked the Lord early this morning to remove any ounce of lingering doubt. I'm going to try to glean any vibes I can today while I am at work and see if i can get any clearer indication on how things went.  I should have an answer within the next 24-48 hours.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #483 on: February 27, 2012, 11:51:51 AM »

I have a feeling the writers are setting up the main character for a massive fall.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #484 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »

Yeah, the writers are laying on the ironic foreshadowing a little too thick here. It's pretty clear he's not going to get the job at this point.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #485 on: February 27, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »

Evidence by his tendency to repeat things over and over again before something fails, I would say Lief is right. (see ON Company, fiancees, etc). Prior to both those failures, the main character would insist on repeating why he was confident of his success and read into people's actions surrounding the situation way too often. In this episode, the same thing is happening, while, at the same time, the main character is making the audience keenly aware that things will not end once he is not offered the job.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #486 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »

Anybody else notice that the author always invokes God before a failure? Doesn't matter whether it's a job, a relationship, whatever. The moment you see the word God, you know something bad is going to happen. Clearly, the writer is making a subtle but strong statement about religion in 21st Century America.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #487 on: February 27, 2012, 02:43:47 PM »

I think the groundwork was laid as early as last week when he failed to interview with AT&T, citing his family and God advised him not to do it, harkening back to the ON Company debunkle when the same two people told him to take the risk. There, the main character also repeated self assuring facts and "evidence" that convinced him he had done the right thing, most of which didn't exist. It remains to be seen whether the big eyes, grins and such are simply a figment of his imagination or whether they actually existed.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #488 on: February 27, 2012, 03:09:23 PM »

I'm debating taking tomorrow off just in anticipation!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #489 on: February 27, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »

I am even more encouraged now.  My supervisor still has 2 or 3 more interviews tomorrow, so he wasn't able to drop any kind of real hint.  However, I did get a nugget.  He was sorting through the first seven interviews he had conducted and I saw on one of the earlier interviews he was going through the hiring process guide on his system.  I was either the first or second interview on Friday.  He put the later interview sheets in the shredder.  So, I'm very hopeful, and even more encouraged that I will have a job offer in my email either tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #490 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:41 PM »

Well, that's a sign of a horrible boss. They should never do something like shred paperwork, ESPECIALLY anything that has to do with people getting a job in front of a worker, especially if they are a temp.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #491 on: February 27, 2012, 07:49:23 PM »

to be honest, I don't know what he shredded, I can only speculate.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #492 on: February 27, 2012, 07:59:25 PM »

to be honest, I don't know what he shredded, I can only speculate.

Maybe we shouldn't get too excited on speculation yet.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #493 on: February 27, 2012, 08:02:42 PM »

Maybe so, Andrew, but I'm just trying to find anything I can to hang my hat on.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #494 on: February 27, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »

I doubt they would shred interview papers before they had all been conducted, and if they were dead set on giving you the job, I don't think they would continue to interview people. They probably haven't made the final decision, but I am sure you are in the running considering your time there. It is cheaper to keep someone on than to hire a new worker. But if your only advantage is a security clearance, I would be worried. Frankly, running a background check isn't too difficult. It isn't like you're working for the FBI where its a 2 month process.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #495 on: February 27, 2012, 08:15:47 PM »

Maybe you should have hung your hat on that AT&T job...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #496 on: February 27, 2012, 08:30:42 PM »

I doubt they would shred interview papers before they had all been conducted, and if they were dead set on giving you the job, I don't think they would continue to interview people. They probably haven't made the final decision, but I am sure you are in the running considering your time there. It is cheaper to keep someone on than to hire a new worker. But if your only advantage is a security clearance, I would be worried. Frankly, running a background check isn't too difficult. It isn't like you're working for the FBI where its a 2 month process.

The reason they are still interviewing is there are 2 positions open, so he probably hasn't decided on one or both of them.

It's not just the secret clearance and the tenure, but I answered each question with confidence and without hesitation.  I only hesitated on one question for about 2-3 seconds and then spoke with confidence.  Plus, I got at least 8 of 10, if not 9 of 10 correct.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #497 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:34 PM »

You could be right. I do hope it works out for you either way, but I don't want you to get your hopes up so much with all this speculation. In past episodes, we have seen where speculation and taking leaps of faith has gotten you.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #498 on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »

You could be right. I do hope it works out for you either way, but I don't want you to get your hopes up so much with all this speculation. In past episodes, we have seen where speculation and taking leaps of faith has gotten you.

I feel very confident about it.  I'm not trying to be arrogant in my thought process, but I am very confident and I have been that way for the past 80 hours since the interview has been over.

Plus, I know that even in the off chance this doesn't work out, it's still not the end of the line for Dell.  I've got 5 other positions that I've applied for waiting.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #499 on: February 27, 2012, 11:49:21 PM »

It is very possible, based on what happened today, that I could have a job offer in my email inbox within mere hours, definitely within 18-36 hours.  Hopefully, tomorrow evening, I can report to you that I will be beginning my career on such and such date.

Oh, and the writers have already agreed not to end the season if a job offer is extended.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies