As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:31:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 312132 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 10:41:49 PM »

Yep
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 10:49:53 PM »

http://youtu.be/GfTlyuZphf8
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 11:06:23 PM »

Ah, good. That's something. You also know that, for the most part, they don't actually have air conditioning?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »

Ah, good. That's something. You also know that, for the most part, they don't actually have air conditioning?

What about fast food restaurants?
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 01:29:18 AM »

inb4 its not his church but a church that emailed him
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »

I'm prepared for whatever weather conditions. From what I gather it will be like a June day in Oklahoma City with highs in the upper 80s to low 90s, lows in the mid 60s to low 70s and 90%+ humidity.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 12:03:49 PM »

inb4 its not his church but a church that emailed him

This sounds completely legitimate.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 01:12:48 PM »

Like I said before, make sure you're up on all your shots.

I will be getting a TB shot, yellow fever shot, a typhoid shot, and a Tetanus shot.  I will also be purchasing Malaria tablets when I get to Nairobi.

I now have some more information, just some general notes and also a checklist of what to pack.
You don't need to start taking the Malaria medicine beforehand?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »

I will be getting a TB shot, yellow fever shot, a typhoid shot, and a Tetanus shot.  I will also be purchasing Malaria tablets when I get to Nairobi.

I now have some more information, just some general notes and also a checklist of what to pack.

Apparently not, they recommend purchasing it in Kenya rather than in the States as it is a lot cheaper in Kenya.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »

I will be getting a TB shot, yellow fever shot, a typhoid shot, and a Tetanus shot.  I will also be purchasing Malaria tablets when I get to Nairobi.

Apparently not, they recommend purchasing it in Kenya rather than in the States as it is a lot cheaper in Kenya.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 05:04:57 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

That's a good article.  When I see my doctor to get the vaccinations, I'll ask him what he recommends.  But, I may buy it in Oklahoma before i go based on the CDC report.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 05:16:44 PM »

I've got some notes from my cousin who invited me to go to Kenya.  She also gave me a personal packing list that she received at the first Kenya meeting.

Some of the notes include applying for the passport first thing.  So, after I put down my deposit, I will probably get that started.  My facebook said I hope to apply for the passport by December 7, but I may move that up to November 30 or December 1 to give them an extra week with the Christmas and New Years Holidays and vacations and time off with the workers, and the federal holidays in January and February (MLK and Prez Day).

I will also have to purchase a $50 Visa at the Nairobi Airport so I can get into the country.

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.

I've already mentioned the vaccinations, (TB, yellow fever, typhoid, and tetanus) and the malaria tablets.

$200 spending money, so i can eat on the planes and/or airports

Total cost with the airfare, lodging, passport, spending money, vaccinations, etc, could run between $2,500 and $3,000.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 05:30:07 PM »

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.

I... don't think that's how money works?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:21 PM »

I... don't think that's how money works?

Maybe not, but I'm going to trust Choctaw Road Baptist Church as they have been going to Kenya for several years now, so they are not new at this and they know what they're doing.  I'm going to go by their recommendations even if it seems a little weird as they know more than I do.  I will do my own studying on wikipedia and other websites on Kenya.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »

Nah, Bushie's right.  The US dollar starts depreciating as soon as you take it off the lot.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »

Yea, people in them loser countries will indeed pay more (more than the real exchange rate infact) for crisp bills.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:45 PM »

Here is the website of the organization that is sponsoring all this for your review and information.

www.maishainternational.org

I think I also found the application on that website, as well.  It has the same format and the same personal packing list and notes page that my cousin gave me last night.  I'm going to verify with her tonight at Bible Study to make sure it's the same as what she filled out.  If it is, I will fill it out and turn it in with my deposit this coming Wednesday, November 23.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »

An interesting side note - in Swahili, which is the official language of Kenya, The words of the 1994 Disney Classic The Lion King of "hakuna matata" means "no problems".  The movie says it means "no worries", so it's pretty much spot on.  So, not only are they real words, but the definition the movie gives is correct.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »

oh my god...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »

oh my god...

No, that is good policy and it really has nothing to do with exchange rates.  I had to pay about $130 bucks for my entry Visa into Chile. If the bill had the slightest imperfection, they kicked it back to you. I had about 300 bucks in my pocket and barely had enough acceptable cash.  Many money exchanges would work on the same principal and only accept newer, clean bills.  They are a bit scared of accepting phoney money. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2011, 12:27:13 AM »

Depending on your bank (and I really have no clue if any banks normally exchange to Kenyan currency), but perhaps exchanging here would be best.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »

Depending on your bank (and I really have no clue if any banks normally exchange to Kenyan currency), but perhaps exchanging here would be best.

I've heard I can get better exchange rates in Kenya than I can in America.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it's worth investigating.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2011, 09:14:52 AM »

I've heard I can get better exchange rates in Kenya than I can in America.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it's worth investigating.

It's not going to be worth the hassle to try to find the places offering good exchange rates. In practice, you will get to the airport and find you need money right away and get robbed at the airport exchange desk. But on the other hand I don't know where you'll have to go in OKC to get Kenyan currency.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2011, 09:52:36 AM »

It's not going to be worth the hassle to try to find the places offering good exchange rates. In practice, you will get to the airport and find you need money right away and get robbed at the airport exchange desk. But on the other hand I don't know where you'll have to go in OKC to get Kenyan currency.

Exactly
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2011, 10:38:20 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 10:42:44 AM by memphis »

First off this thread is miles better than any Comedy Goldmine/Institute. Ever.
Bushie, I did 5 minutes of legwork for you, and googled Christian Kenya charity. I didn't have time to make sure this charity is 100% legit (and the internet is certainly full of scams), but if you sincerely want to make sure that $2,000 best helps the people of Kenya with Christian intent, here's one:
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/whatwedo/africa/kenya.aspx And you can't go wrong with the Red Cross either. If you want to go to Africa for some sort of personal growth experience for yourself (or just to see the world), that's great and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's no way going in person is the most effective way to spend your scarce (no offense, mine are scarce too) resources. In short, this trip is about you, not about Kenya. Consider that for a moment.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies