Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 07:21:01 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Bacon King, Badger)
| | |-+  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 105 Print
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 81184 times)
Lankford for US Senate 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2011, 10:41:49 pm »
Ignore

You know it's very hot in Kenya?

Yep

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2011, 10:49:53 pm »
Ignore

http://youtu.be/GfTlyuZphf8

Sibboleth Bist
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2011, 11:06:23 pm »
Ignore

Ah, good. That's something. You also know that, for the most part, they don't actually have air conditioning?

bullmoose88
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 12:44:30 am »
Ignore

Ah, good. That's something. You also know that, for the most part, they don't actually have air conditioning?

What about fast food restaurants?

A Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative NE Republican with some Left-Libertarian/3rd Way Leanings. Simply, a Rockefeller Republican.

According to one poster, I represent a...

Dying bread of Americans.
King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 01:29:18 am »
Ignore

inb4 its not his church but a church that emailed him

BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 09:10:30 am »
Ignore

I'm prepared for whatever weather conditions. From what I gather it will be like a June day in Oklahoma City with highs in the upper 80s to low 90s, lows in the mid 60s to low 70s and 90%+ humidity.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2011, 12:03:49 pm »
Ignore

inb4 its not his church but a church that emailed him

This sounds completely legitimate.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2011, 01:12:48 pm »
Ignore

Like I said before, make sure you're up on all your shots.

I will be getting a TB shot, yellow fever shot, a typhoid shot, and a Tetanus shot.  I will also be purchasing Malaria tablets when I get to Nairobi.

I now have some more information, just some general notes and also a checklist of what to pack.
You don't need to start taking the Malaria medicine beforehand?

BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2011, 03:35:52 pm »
Ignore

I will be getting a TB shot, yellow fever shot, a typhoid shot, and a Tetanus shot.  I will also be purchasing Malaria tablets when I get to Nairobi.

I now have some more information, just some general notes and also a checklist of what to pack.

Apparently not, they recommend purchasing it in Kenya rather than in the States as it is a lot cheaper in Kenya.

Bacon King
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2011, 04:55:34 pm »

I will be getting a TB shot, yellow fever shot, a typhoid shot, and a Tetanus shot.  I will also be purchasing Malaria tablets when I get to Nairobi.

Apparently not, they recommend purchasing it in Kenya rather than in the States as it is a lot cheaper in Kenya.

Quote from:  The CDC

Is it safe to buy my malaria drugs in the country where I will be traveling?

Buying medications abroad has its risks. The drugs could be of poor quality because of the way they are produced. The drugs could contain contaminants or they could be counterfeit drugs and therefore may not provide you the protection you need against malaria. In addition, some medications that are sold overseas are not used anymore in the United States or were never sold here. These drugs may not be safe or their safety has never been evaluated.

It would be best to purchase all the medications that you need before you leave the United States. As a precaution, note the name of the medication(s) and the name of the manufacturer(s). That way, in case of accidental loss, you can replace the drug(s) abroad at a reliable vendor.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.
Bacon King: 1.  You're cute, in a weird Tom Wopat kind of way.
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 18, 2011, 05:04:57 pm »
Ignore

Quote from:  The CDC

Is it safe to buy my malaria drugs in the country where I will be traveling?

Buying medications abroad has its risks. The drugs could be of poor quality because of the way they are produced. The drugs could contain contaminants or they could be counterfeit drugs and therefore may not provide you the protection you need against malaria. In addition, some medications that are sold overseas are not used anymore in the United States or were never sold here. These drugs may not be safe or their safety has never been evaluated.

It would be best to purchase all the medications that you need before you leave the United States. As a precaution, note the name of the medication(s) and the name of the manufacturer(s). That way, in case of accidental loss, you can replace the drug(s) abroad at a reliable vendor.

http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/about/faqs.html

That's a good article.  When I see my doctor to get the vaccinations, I'll ask him what he recommends.  But, I may buy it in Oklahoma before i go based on the CDC report.

BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 18, 2011, 05:16:44 pm »
Ignore

I've got some notes from my cousin who invited me to go to Kenya.  She also gave me a personal packing list that she received at the first Kenya meeting.

Some of the notes include applying for the passport first thing.  So, after I put down my deposit, I will probably get that started.  My facebook said I hope to apply for the passport by December 7, but I may move that up to November 30 or December 1 to give them an extra week with the Christmas and New Years Holidays and vacations and time off with the workers, and the federal holidays in January and February (MLK and Prez Day).

I will also have to purchase a $50 Visa at the Nairobi Airport so I can get into the country.

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.

I've already mentioned the vaccinations, (TB, yellow fever, typhoid, and tetanus) and the malaria tablets.

$200 spending money, so i can eat on the planes and/or airports

Total cost with the airfare, lodging, passport, spending money, vaccinations, etc, could run between $2,500 and $3,000.

Herman Cain's Gold Chain
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 18, 2011, 05:30:07 pm »
Ignore

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.

I... don't think that's how money works?

(Part of the 2012 Election Throwback Series)
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 18, 2011, 05:48:21 pm »
Ignore

I... don't think that's how money works?

Maybe not, but I'm going to trust Choctaw Road Baptist Church as they have been going to Kenya for several years now, so they are not new at this and they know what they're doing.  I'm going to go by their recommendations even if it seems a little weird as they know more than I do.  I will do my own studying on wikipedia and other websites on Kenya.

King
intermoderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 18, 2011, 05:50:25 pm »
Ignore

Nah, Bushie's right.  The US dollar starts depreciating as soon as you take it off the lot.

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2011, 06:48:25 pm »
Ignore

Yea, people in them loser countries will indeed pay more (more than the real exchange rate infact) for crisp bills.

TEDDY - ARKANSAS - IDS - Liberal Whip

Note to self: use brain more.
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2011, 06:50:45 pm »
Ignore

Here is the website of the organization that is sponsoring all this for your review and information.

www.maishainternational.org

I think I also found the application on that website, as well.  It has the same format and the same personal packing list and notes page that my cousin gave me last night.  I'm going to verify with her tonight at Bible Study to make sure it's the same as what she filled out.  If it is, I will fill it out and turn it in with my deposit this coming Wednesday, November 23.

BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 18, 2011, 09:56:00 pm »
Ignore

An interesting side note - in Swahili, which is the official language of Kenya, The words of the 1994 Disney Classic The Lion King of "hakuna matata" means "no problems".  The movie says it means "no worries", so it's pretty much spot on.  So, not only are they real words, but the definition the movie gives is correct.

fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:26 pm »
Ignore

oh my god...
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 18, 2011, 10:26:42 pm »
Ignore

oh my god...

No, that is good policy and it really has nothing to do with exchange rates.  I had to pay about $130 bucks for my entry Visa into Chile. If the bill had the slightest imperfection, they kicked it back to you. I had about 300 bucks in my pocket and barely had enough acceptable cash.  Many money exchanges would work on the same principal and only accept newer, clean bills.  They are a bit scared of accepting phoney money. 
Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2011, 12:27:13 am »
Ignore

Depending on your bank (and I really have no clue if any banks normally exchange to Kenyan currency), but perhaps exchanging here would be best.
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:39 am »
Ignore

Depending on your bank (and I really have no clue if any banks normally exchange to Kenyan currency), but perhaps exchanging here would be best.

I've heard I can get better exchange rates in Kenya than I can in America.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it's worth investigating.

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2011, 09:14:52 am »
Ignore

I've heard I can get better exchange rates in Kenya than I can in America.  I don't know if that's true or not, but it's worth investigating.

It's not going to be worth the hassle to try to find the places offering good exchange rates. In practice, you will get to the airport and find you need money right away and get robbed at the airport exchange desk. But on the other hand I don't know where you'll have to go in OKC to get Kenyan currency.
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2011, 09:52:36 am »
Ignore

It's not going to be worth the hassle to try to find the places offering good exchange rates. In practice, you will get to the airport and find you need money right away and get robbed at the airport exchange desk. But on the other hand I don't know where you'll have to go in OKC to get Kenyan currency.

Exactly

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2011, 10:38:20 am »
Ignore

First off this thread is miles better than any Comedy Goldmine/Institute. Ever.
Bushie, I did 5 minutes of legwork for you, and googled Christian Kenya charity. I didn't have time to make sure this charity is 100% legit (and the internet is certainly full of scams), but if you sincerely want to make sure that $2,000 best helps the people of Kenya with Christian intent, here's one:
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/whatwedo/africa/kenya.aspx And you can't go wrong with the Red Cross either. If you want to go to Africa for some sort of personal growth experience for yourself (or just to see the world), that's great and there's nothing wrong with that. But there's no way going in person is the most effective way to spend your scarce (no offense, mine are scarce too) resources. In short, this trip is about you, not about Kenya. Consider that for a moment.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 10:42:44 am by memphis »Logged

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 105 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout