As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:46:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 312248 times)
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »

Nothing wrong with wanting to see the world. I do too, and I'm not a good enough person to do charity work on my travels. However, you REALLY need to do some homework before even signing up to go to Africa. A good place to begin is wikitravel.org They aren't nearly as professional as wikipedia, but they are geared toward travellers and have some good info. At the very least please, please, please read their article on kenya before comitting to going. Please don't be offended, but you tend to make decisions before weighing all the facts. Know what you're getting into before you sign up. And find out from the mission people where you'll be staying, if there will be a toilet, what will you eat, etc. And make sure your employer is cool with it too. We don't need another job search thread. And one last thing, try not to use the phrase "third-world." It's old fashioned and rubs people the wrong way. By very low African standards, Kenya isn't even that poor a country.

I checked Wikitravel on Africa, and I didn't see very many warnings or caution signs on Kenya, other than the high HIV/AIDS population, which I already knew.

What about Somali kidnappers?

I'm sure they'll keep us far enough away from the Somali border to keep us safe.

And the people who've been kidnapped before *didn't* think they were far enough from the border to be safe?

Obviously, you should be armed at all times just to be safe.

How does one go about buying arms in Kenya, looking as Bushie does and speaking only English?  Because I doubt the plane will accommodate his rifles.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #101 on: November 19, 2011, 08:48:19 PM »

Nothing wrong with wanting to see the world. I do too, and I'm not a good enough person to do charity work on my travels. However, you REALLY need to do some homework before even signing up to go to Africa. A good place to begin is wikitravel.org They aren't nearly as professional as wikipedia, but they are geared toward travellers and have some good info. At the very least please, please, please read their article on kenya before comitting to going. Please don't be offended, but you tend to make decisions before weighing all the facts. Know what you're getting into before you sign up. And find out from the mission people where you'll be staying, if there will be a toilet, what will you eat, etc. And make sure your employer is cool with it too. We don't need another job search thread. And one last thing, try not to use the phrase "third-world." It's old fashioned and rubs people the wrong way. By very low African standards, Kenya isn't even that poor a country.

I checked Wikitravel on Africa, and I didn't see very many warnings or caution signs on Kenya, other than the high HIV/AIDS population, which I already knew.

I'm sure they'll keep us far enough away from the Somali border to keep us safe.

And the people who've been kidnapped before *didn't* think they were far enough from the border to be safe?

How does one go about buying arms in Kenya, looking as Bushie does and speaking only English?  Because I doubt the plane will accommodate his rifles.

If I carried a rifle, the safest place would be in front of the rifle.  There's no telling what I'll hit with a gun.  You could be behind my back and be introduced to a pellet.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: November 19, 2011, 08:53:04 PM »

Kisumu is in the western part of the country near the Uganda border.  Somalia is to the east of Kenya.  It's American Twin City is Roanoke, Virginia with about 320,000 people

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kisumu
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2011, 09:58:16 PM »

Buddy I am proud of you for being so devoted to your faith! This sounds like a GREAT opportunity.  Going across the world is a cultural experience and grows you as a person
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2011, 01:42:56 AM »

That $2000 would be better spent on an engagement ring.  Oh and God has a magic money tree that will finance your trip and protect your job too!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2011, 02:16:14 AM »

That $2000 would be better spent on an engagement ring.  Oh and God has a magic money tree that will finance your trip and protect your job too!

Pat, stop being a d!ck. Despite our general assholery as a group, ok has managed to pick himself off the canvas after many setbacks. It does trouble me that he is even bringing up the issue of job security for a week vacation, but we shouldnt throw up past mistakes in his face.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: November 20, 2011, 07:16:50 AM »

Buddy I am proud of you for being so devoted to your faith! This sounds like a GREAT opportunity.  Going across the world is a cultural experience and grows you as a person

Thank you! I will hopefully find out today or tomorrow if there is indeed room on the trip, which I believe there should be.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: November 20, 2011, 07:42:30 AM »

The waiting game will come to an end in 6 1/2 hours.  He wants me to call him at my 1:15 break this afternoon.  Good news should be awaiting!
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #108 on: November 20, 2011, 02:05:41 PM »

Pat, stop being a d!ck. Despite our general assholery as a group, ok has managed to pick himself off the canvas after many setbacks. It does trouble me that he is even bringing up the issue of job security for a week vacation, but we shouldnt throw up past mistakes in his face.

Pardon the sarcasm, but the $2000 should be going to other things.  He needs a savings account I'm sure.  The phrase GET REAL applies here. 
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2011, 02:42:33 PM »

Wondering how the 1:15 meeting is going. Oh to be a fly on that wall. It'd be better than the supercommittee meting.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2011, 03:01:23 PM »

Wondering how the 1:15 meeting is going. Oh to be a fly on that wall. It'd be better than the supercommittee meting.

He's having to tend to his wife who just burned her hand, so he will give me a call a little later today.  He sent me a text asking if that would be okay.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »

But if it's about seeing the world, wouldn't it perhaps make sense to organize this trip outside of a church mission with perhaps a different destination (somewhere in Europe for more time and less money)? Or is Africa somewhere you absolutely want to go?

I can think of much more interesting things to do with $2,000 Smiley

If you're going to go somewhere different, then actually go somewhere different. Europe doesn't count.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2011, 04:05:14 PM »

... It does trouble me that he is even bringing up the issue of job security for a week vacation,

That is the plight of the working class in the neoliberal non-unionized america of today, patrick.  Workers simply cannot ask for any time off - they will be replaced with other desperates.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #113 on: November 20, 2011, 05:29:29 PM »

This thread received an A+ rating when I saw BushOK address "hakuna matata" from The Lion King.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2011, 05:31:53 PM »

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.

I... don't think that's how money works?

Guys, I honestly can't remember the last time I laughed as hard as I just did.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #115 on: November 20, 2011, 06:26:05 PM »

Some words of note/warning...

Kenya is a favoured spot for more... charismatic Christian Churches, considering 83% of Kenya is Christian, the majority of these are mainline protestants, don't really go to convert the small Muslim community - they tend to go to convert other Christians to their more... fire and brimstone beliefs.

A friend from School went on a mission to a small town outside Nairobi, which is largely Catholic. When asking why they came to this village, rather than trying to work in the Muslim areas in Coast province - he was told "it's too difficult, these people are already halfway there", plus Kenya is perfect as being sub-Saharan Africa, but with a small Muslim population and a lower HIV rate than Botswana, Zimbabwe and South Africa.

He became increasingly disenchanted, considered the whole process incredibly insulting to the otherwise intelligent locals. And he no longer is a participant in any Church.

But from my experience of traveling in Kenya, which is a beautiful country full of good people. Don't even try exchanging money there... you will get screwed. Go into a large bank chain and most will be able to order you some Kenyan currency in. Same thing goes for medication, I took everything before I left. There is a market in counterfeit malaria medications.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #116 on: November 20, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

But if it's about seeing the world, wouldn't it perhaps make sense to organize this trip outside of a church mission with perhaps a different destination (somewhere in Europe for more time and less money)? Or is Africa somewhere you absolutely want to go?

I can think of much more interesting things to do with $2,000 Smiley

If you're going to go somewhere different, then actually go somewhere different. Europe doesn't count.
This was my reaction to London when I was there. Hate to be the spoiled white kid complaining about a vacation abroad, but I went a long way to visit a place that wasn't all that different than Canada. Next time I have the money for an international vacation (ha ha), I want to go to Turkey. I'm thinking it's just exotic enough without being scary.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #117 on: November 20, 2011, 07:59:49 PM »

This sounds almost like when NY Jews go to Miami to convert people. Except nicer, and less expensive.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:25 PM »

This sounds almost like when NY Jews go to Miami to convert people. Except nicer, and less expensive.
Talking about the chabads who try to get secular Jews to practice? Cause Jews don't usually do the evangelize thing. Once when I was in college, I was minding my own business, reading on a bench on lovely Fall day, and one of those guys asked me if I wanted to do this little ritual. I guess it was a good enough bet that I was Jewish between at Tulane, dark hair, big nose. I would loved to have seen what went down when the kids he approached weren't Jewish.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #119 on: November 20, 2011, 08:24:16 PM »

This was my reaction to London when I was there. Hate to be the spoiled white kid complaining about a vacation abroad, but I went a long way to visit a place that wasn't all that different than Canada. Next time I have the money for an international vacation (ha ha), I want to go to Turkey. I'm thinking it's just exotic enough without being scary.

How about Glasgow?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2011, 08:43:28 PM »

Talking about the chabads who try to get secular Jews to practice? Cause Jews don't usually do the evangelize thing. Once when I was in college, I was minding my own business, reading on a bench on lovely Fall day, and one of those guys asked me if I wanted to do this little ritual. I guess it was a good enough bet that I was Jewish between at Tulane, dark hair, big nose. I would loved to have seen what went down when the kids he approached weren't Jewish.

I think the "at Tulane" was enough to make that assumption.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2011, 08:45:39 PM »

How about Glasgow?

Haven't been. You recommend? I really liked London. And I took a day trip out to Stonehenge, Bath, and Salisbury, which was nice as well. Also, flew to Berlin while I was in the neighborhood for a few days.  It was my first(and only) time away from North America. All in all, a good time. I just think I'm ready for something a little more advanced, travel wise. Kenya would be a little much for me though. I'm sure it's a lovely country, but not high enough on the Human Development Index for my comfort zone. I'm not super fussy, but I want a certain level of infrastructure when I travel, which is almost always someplace in the States anyhow.  But I have my travel fantasies, as I suspect many others do as well.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2011, 09:21:39 PM »

I have heard from the trip organizor and the main question I asked him was there still room on the trip.  He answered in the affirmative.  My cousin pointed out that it may be because it's still just a few days shy of 4 months away.

Now, that I know there is room, I am going to try to talk to him some tomorrow evening in a little more depth about the trip and then put down the deposit before Thanksgiving.  After Thanksgiving, my first order of business will be to apply for my passport on either November 30 or December 1 and get that started.

Sometime in early December, I am going to sit down with my cousin and hash out our game plan of preparation for the remaining 3 months until we leave.

Then, in early January, I'm going to start gathering things together that I might need to take and purchase what I need to purchase.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2011, 09:56:53 PM »

Then, in early January, I'm going to start gathering things together that I might need to take and purchase what I need to purchase.

Will this interfere with Easter decorating?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2011, 10:00:57 PM »

Will this interfere with Easter decorating?

I don't normally 'decorate' for Easter, I normally just reflect on the death and resurrection of Christ.  Plus, Easter isn't until April 8, so I won't miss the actual celebration.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies