As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:40:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 312109 times)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: May 22, 2012, 06:54:31 AM »

There are some updates I must make.  Something terrible has happened at Dell.  Oklahoma is an "at-will" employment state, meaning employers can terminate the employment of anybody at any time with or without notice.  I have no tenure there, having only been permanent for 10 weeks.  I received a notice this past week that my position was going to be cut on Monday, 21 May 2012.  I had to do some immediate scrambling and trying to find a job and thankfully, I went to the Xerox plant in Yukon, Oklahoma (western suburb of OKC).  I now have a job working with Xerox doing technical support for Apple.  The job starts on Monday, 18 June 2012 at either 06:00-14:30 or 15:00-23:30.  It will be a significant pay cut, but it will be a permanent position (no temp service).  Apple only has 3 call centers in the nation, Portland, Oregon; Raleigh, North Carolina; and one other city.  They are expanding into Oklahoma City on 18 June, so I am the very first class for Apple in Oklahoma City.  They will be promoting from within, which means my class will have the very first opportunities to promote into supervisory or team lead roles.  I may not have to be on the phones for very long and I may work up to the pay I was at with Dell within a pretty short period of time.  We'll see.  So, the job search began and the job search ended with one interview.
Didn't someone predict this?

Yeah.. If I remember correctly, that would be everyone on this forum.
I was playing the Captain Obvious part.

As was I, my friend. I figured it would be like icing on the cake.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1301 on: May 22, 2012, 08:47:31 AM »

Have you announced this on FB yet?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #1302 on: May 22, 2012, 08:48:46 AM »

Yes, I have Grumps.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1303 on: May 22, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »

Are George and I ever going to be welcomed back onto said facebook?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1304 on: May 22, 2012, 10:33:37 AM »

and waltermitty
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1305 on: May 22, 2012, 11:23:09 AM »

and waltermitty

I am mulling it over.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1306 on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:20 AM »

What I find most amusing is that after being fired from three call centers Bushie is now expecting a fourth one to not only work out for him but that he might get PROMOTED in it...
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1307 on: May 22, 2012, 11:43:26 AM »

and waltermitty

Yes, how could I forget about our friend waltermitty. Three of the smartes't and brightest minds known to walk the Earth.. package deal here. No combo breakers allowed.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1308 on: May 22, 2012, 06:17:25 PM »

There is so much more BushKE should be focusing on as opposed to moving to Kenya. So much more..
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1309 on: May 22, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »

What I find most amusing is that after being fired from three call centers Bushie is now expecting a fourth one to not only work out for him but that he might get PROMOTED in it...

I don't think all call centers are the same.  I had to have something, and this is the first thing that came along.  Since it doesn't start until 18 June, I have time to look at other, higher paying positions without worry.  I don't have to worry, because I have this job with Xerox to fall back on.  Plus, neither Xerox or Apple are going anywhere for a long time.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1310 on: May 22, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »

There is so much more BushKE should be focusing on as opposed to moving to Kenya. So much more..

Relax, I'm not planning to move for another 2 3/4 years.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1311 on: May 22, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »

how often do you regret not staying on at the gas company?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1312 on: May 22, 2012, 06:50:52 PM »

how often do you regret not staying on at the gas company?

Never
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1313 on: May 23, 2012, 01:25:55 AM »

You don't regret leaving the one secure and stable job you had?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1314 on: May 23, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

in addition to quiting the gas company job, he's couldn't remained employed at three different call centers?

ok, this is probably grounds for banning Bushie from the Forum for his own good.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1315 on: May 23, 2012, 10:19:57 AM »

It's strange they promoted BushKE and then immediately fired him for no reason. Are you sure nothing happened? That just seems like they jerked you around.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1316 on: May 23, 2012, 10:25:38 AM »

Wait, it's a Xerox-run Apple call center?

At least it's not going anywhere as opposed to fly by night operations like Dell.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1317 on: May 23, 2012, 10:33:50 AM »

This is funny, you guys are acting like its MY fault I got let go from Dell.  What's more, you are not recognizing that having another job to replace it is a good thing.  I'm laughing at this forum right now for your unwillingness to see the other side of said facts.

I will let you in on a little secret.  Jamespol and I have good, hearty laughs when we review the daily update thread.  We talk at least once or twice a week.  Yes, he still reads the forum through this thing called the Guest account and that no one can ban him from.

I will be going back to work in just 3 1/2 weeks, and while it is a pay cut, with the dynamics and the circumstances of this new class, it may not be too long before I'm back in similary pay territory than I was at with Dell.

As far as not regretting leaving ONG.  Yes, I do miss the security of the job, but I do not regret it because there was no advancement unless someone died.  I had to make a change, even if I fell flat on my face.  That face plant did hurt, and I still have scars from it, but I don't regret it.  Another reason I don't regret it, is I don't live in the past.  I let bygones be bygones.  I am focused on today and planning for tomorrow.  I learn from the past, but I don't live in the past.

Now, I will admit I do need to take better care of this job, and I will, but ONG was the last company I left voluntarily.  The other three were discrimination (Sprint fired me because I stuttered), following my manager's authority (Convergys fired me for doing what my manager told me to do), and at-will/downsizing (Dell let me go using the "at-will" card).  I just have been unfortunate in the last 2 years of my career.  I'm not regretting anything.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1318 on: May 23, 2012, 10:49:42 AM »

Bushie, having worked at a call center for four years and seen the things people have managed to do and get away with without being fired I can assure you you were NOT fired for following your manager's instructions. Unemployment insurance is expensive, and companies try to make sure anyone employee being let go is not going to win a claim for unemployment against the company (which if everything you say about Convergys is true you probably could've unless Oklahoma's laws are even more messed up than I thought.) Some middle management drone might've used that as a dumb excuse, but it was obvious something else was going on, and you never implied any condition improved since Sprint.

And yes, it was your fault you were fired from Dell. Just because Dell took advantage of Oklahoma's ridiculously anti-worker laws doesn't mean they didn't have a reason to do so.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1319 on: May 23, 2012, 11:07:23 AM »

And yes, it was your fault you were fired from Dell. Just because Dell took advantage of Oklahoma's ridiculously anti-worker laws doesn't mean they didn't have a reason to do so.

Tell me EXACTLY how it was my fault.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1320 on: May 23, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

They had a reason to let you go. I'm not in Dell's HR department so I don't know what it is, but it's not like management were just playing a "Oh let's just throw a dart at a board and fire the random employee whose name it lands on just for kicks" sort of thing.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1321 on: May 23, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »

They had a reason to let you go. I'm not in Dell's HR department so I don't know what it is, but it's not like management were just playing a "Oh let's just throw a dart at a board and fire the random employee whose name it lands on just for kicks" sort of thing.

I wasn't alone in the dismissal.  I looked around yesterday when I turned in my badge, and there were several empty desks that were filled by employees just late last week.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1322 on: May 23, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »

I wasn't alone in the dismissal.  I looked around yesterday when I turned in my badge, and there were several empty desks that were filled by employees just late last week.

If you honestly assessed yourself, just how good do you think you are in fielding calls from the noisome and sometimes irascible public?  I think I recall that at one point, that you said you found it a struggle, due to anxiety or something?  One of the most important things to learn in life in my experience, is being honest at least to yourself. I know, that is easier said then done. Maybe your calling is as a bookkeeper or something. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1323 on: May 23, 2012, 11:24:33 AM »

If you honestly assessed yourself, just how good do you think you are in fielding calls from the noisome and sometimes irascible public?  I think I recall that at one point, that you said you found it a struggle, due to anxiety or something?  One of the most important things to learn in life in my experience, is being honest at least to yourself. I know, that is easier said then done. Maybe your calling is as a bookkeeper or something. 

I was decent at it.  I wasn't the greatest at it, but I definitely wasn't the worst, either.  I got better in the 11 1/2 months I was with Dell and I think going into Apple, I am definitely more prepared and better able to handle irate and abusive customers than i was with Convergys.  I am not an old pro at it, yet, but I am getting there!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1324 on: May 23, 2012, 11:29:21 AM »

Why is it you always go for call center jobs, btw? Considering your disability, it seems less than ideal.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies