As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:02:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 105
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 313655 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1575 on: June 30, 2012, 11:21:58 AM »

Good Saturday Morning!  I've had an eventful morning just in the two hours I've been off work.  My rear passenger tire nearly blew, but thankfully, I was able to pull off onto the side of I-40 on the east side of Yukon, west side of Oklahoma City and call AAA to come get me to take me to my parents' 35 miles away in Harrah.  This morning, I am going to just stay up as I am going to the Indian Clinic at 8:00 am this morning.  After I get back to my parents', I'm going to crash at their house for a few hours (at Dad's orders) before I head back home to Midwest City.  Then, tomorrow evening, which is Sunday, 1 July 2012, I'm going up to Broken Arrow (SE suburb of Tulsa) for a Christian Fireworks show, one of the largest displays in the State of Oklahoma.
How did you drive without a car? Isn't that like over 100 miles of driving too, considering that OKC is more sprawly than LA?

My grandmother (who is the instigator in all this) let me use her car.  My car is fixed now, it just had to have two new tires.

I got back from the Indian Clinic, and not only got a full doctor's appointment, but I also got new medicine, as well.  He's changing a couple of my medications to similar drugs, but the entire trip cost me $0.00 (except for gasoline) when without insurance it would have been at least $1000 mainly for medication.  I have to go back in early January for blood work and a follow up doctor's appointment.  This doctor is already starting to take action, as well, unlike my previous doctor.  He told me to start walking 20 minutes a day for 4 days a week and start watching my diet.  My previous doctor never made it a priority.  He mentioned it, but never "enforced" it.  This new doctor is taking action immediately.  The blood work in January will be diabetes, complete blood count, and thyroid.  I'm going to have less blood walking out of there on Thursday, 3 January 2013, but if it costs me nothing except my blood, I'll take it.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1576 on: July 01, 2012, 10:24:18 AM »

But you've already known you had to diet... you talked about eating fish sticks and all that unhealthy crap years ago.  Seeing a doctor every few months isn't going to "enforce" anything.  If  you keep eating the way you have been, eventually he'll probably stop telling you to diet because  he'll realize you're not going to.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1577 on: July 01, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »

But you've already known you had to diet... you talked about eating fish sticks and all that unhealthy crap years ago.  Seeing a doctor every few months isn't going to "enforce" anything.  If  you keep eating the way you have been, eventually he'll probably stop telling you to diet because  he'll realize you're not going to.

Do you mean to imply that leaving the cheese off a hamburger doesn't make it a healthy eating option?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1578 on: July 01, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »

Speaking of blood tests, one of the factors that caused me to take a major tack in life about 3 years back, and do a full court press to drop 60 pounds in 6 months (protein drink in the morning, cutting out all potatoes, bread and rice and chips), hiring a trainer, and hitting the gym three times a week, mainlining testosterone, and getting more "social," was when my doctor told me hey,  congratulations, your glucose count is up to 101 into the high range (120 means you have diabetes, a most horrible and terrifying and wasting disease as it slowly destroys your organs), and you are doing a splendid job of  moving towards becoming a diabetic, you fat slob you. Yes, he was very blunt about my being a fat, and I admired him for it. My major source of sugar during this full court press period against the fat, was from booze, which I continued to consume. Life is a balancing test.

My glucose count now is about 75-80.  My waist size dropped from 42 to 32. Now, my weight stays about the same, 165-170 pounds, no matter what I do it seems vis a vis food. I eat what I want, when I want. But I continue the balance of the regime.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1579 on: July 01, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »

Do you mean to imply that leaving the cheese off a hamburger doesn't make it a healthy eating option?

While I haven't been exercising, I haven't been going hog wild on my food selection, either.  I haven't exactly been perfect, and I have endulged on more than one occasion, and I haven't dropped any more weight since I got home from Kenya in late March, but I haven't gained, either.  I'm still at roughly 257-259.

My point was, and you guys mentioned this before, that my previous physician didn't seem too concerned about my weight and didn't make it a priority of his.  This doctor is.  He congratulated me for dropping nearly 30 pounds since November, but said it's time to keep going down.  My BMI is 41.  A BMI of 30 is considered Obese, and I'm almost 50% greater than that number.

This afternoon and evening, I'm going to Broken Arrow (SE suburb of Tulsa) with my former pastor and his wife to a Christian Patriotic and Fireworks Show.  I should be home between 01:00-02:00 Monday Morning.  It will be, of couse, dark and milder, so I'm going to take about 20 minutes and walk up and down my street before I come in and get ready for bed.  I'm going to do that Tuesday morning after work, Thursday morning, and Friday morning.  He said to start off with 4 days a week at 20-minutes a day.  He also said for a guy that doesn't exercise for the purpose of exercising to start off with brisk walking.  After 3 weeks, I will step it up to 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week.  Then, after 3 more weeks, 30 minutes a day, 4 days a week.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1580 on: July 01, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 12:00:57 PM by Torie »

Do you have any idea what your glucose count is Bushie?  My inquiry here is more about whether you even know, as opposed to what it is.

Your doctor is not giving you the kind of advice you need to effect an actionable program by the way. You know, and I know, you are not going to be walking around Oklahoma streets 5 days a week, no matter what the weather, for 30 minutes or whatever. That is just not practical. And you need to be on a treadmill in a gym, watching your heart rate, and "jogging" up at a slight incline to protect your knees. I wonder if there is some kind of buddy system, where you can hook up with another fat, and hit the gym 3 times a week, at a specified time, to keep each other on the straight and narrow. I did that with a trainer, but that's expensive, and won't work for you, I understand. It was my trainer however, that turned me on to the morning protein drink. That is all I have for breakfast ever, absent some very special occasion. I also consume a variety of pills with it, so it serves more than one purpose. Smiley

My top BMI was around 28 by the way, and things were beginning to fall apart, but then I am an old. It is around 12 now. The fat is all gone.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1581 on: July 01, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »

My top BMI was around 28 by the way, and things were beginning to fall apart, but then I am an old. It is around 12 now. The fat is all gone.

You mean your BMI was 28 when you were supposed to be 'so fat and falling apart'?  28 isn't very high at all.

And 12 is dangerously underweight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1582 on: July 01, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »

Do you have any idea what your glucose count is Bushie?  My inquiry here is more about whether you even know, as opposed to what it is.

Your doctor is not giving you the kind of advice you need to effect an actionable program by the way. You know, and I know, you are not going to be walking around Oklahoma streets 5 days a week, no matter what the weather, for 30 minutes or whatever. That is just not practical. And you need to be on a treadmill in a gym, watching your heart rate, and "jogging" up at a slight incline to protect your knees. I wonder if there is some kind of buddy system, where you can hook up with another fat, and hit the gym 3 times a week, at a specified time, to keep each other on the straight and narrow. I did that with a trainer, but that's expensive, and won't work for you, I understand. It was my trainer however, that turned me on to the morning protein drink. That is all I have for breakfast ever, absent some very special occasion. I also consume a variety of pills with it, so it serves more than one purpose. Smiley

No, I have no idea what the count is.  All I know when I was tested for diabetes earlier this year, it came back negative.

I disagree, I think he is giving some practical and actionable advice.  He told me to take a brisk walk for 20 minutes, enough to get my heart rate going and sweat forming and do that 4 days a week.  I will definitely be doing the walking right after I get home from work each morning.  I'll go out for 20 minutes in the 1:00 hour.  My neighborhood is a great place for walking.  I'm just going to walk up and down my street, which is only 1/4 mile long at best.  I should easily be able to go up and back down within 20-25 minutes.  I know from past experience, most of the forum is saying "I'll believe it when I see it" and for good reason, but I will do it!
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1583 on: July 01, 2012, 12:35:24 PM »

You mean your BMI was 28 when you were supposed to be 'so fat and falling apart'?  28 isn't very high at all.

Yeah, I'd think he means a BMI of 22 or he is talking about body fat percentage.  A 12 BMI is General Wainwright territory- 6 feet around 87lbs.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1584 on: July 01, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 01:07:18 PM by Torie »

You mean your BMI was 28 when you were supposed to be 'so fat and falling apart'?  28 isn't very high at all.

Oh I was thinking of body fat percentage. BMI is a different number.  Below is the formula for converting BMI into body fat percentage (or one of them):
Adult Body Fat % = (1.20 x BMI) + (0.23 x Age) - (10.8 x gender) - 5.4 (gender: 1 for male, 0 for female).

A chart about body fat percentage is here.

The formula for BMI is x/(y squared) times 703, with x pounds and y inches, so mine is (170/(73*73))*703, or (170/5329) x 703 = 22.43
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1585 on: July 01, 2012, 12:51:58 PM »

No, I have no idea what the count is.  All I know when I was tested for diabetes earlier this year, it came back negative.

I disagree, I think he is giving some practical and actionable advice.  He told me to take a brisk walk for 20 minutes, enough to get my heart rate going and sweat forming and do that 4 days a week.  I will definitely be doing the walking right after I get home from work each morning.  I'll go out for 20 minutes in the 1:00 hour.  My neighborhood is a great place for walking.  I'm just going to walk up and down my street, which is only 1/4 mile long at best.  I should easily be able to go up and back down within 20-25 minutes.  I know from past experience, most of the forum is saying "I'll believe it when I see it" and for good reason, but I will do it!

Did the tribal docs let you know your blood pressure?  Exercise and knocking some weight off is great for that.  I was a mess at the start of this year but Ive managed to drop around 70lbs and stopped smoking at same time.  My BP went from a very bad 150/90 to 110/73. You shouldnt just do it because the doctor told you also but be selfish and do it for yourself. You'l have better self esteem and be more productive at work and in life in general.

Good luck.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1586 on: July 01, 2012, 12:55:27 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 01:04:22 PM by Ride, Rangers, Ride!! »

Did the tribal docs let you know your blood pressure?  Exercise and knocking some weight off is great for that.  I was a mess at the start of this year but Ive managed to drop around 70lbs and stopped smoking at same time.  My BP went from a very bad 150/90 to 110/73. You shouldnt just do it because the doctor told you also but be selfish and do it for yourself. You'l have better self esteem and be more productive at work and in life in general.

Good luck.

Yes, my BP was 130/80, and that was after having 4 frozen Eggo waffles for breakfast, so maybe a tad inflated.  Thanks to my BP medicine, I haven't had real high BP since my Stage 2 Hypertension scare about 18 months ago.

EDIT:  130/80 is definitely higher than it's been in quite a while, but again, it may be due to breakfast.  80 is right on target with healthy numbers while 130 is halfway between normal and Stage 1.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1587 on: July 01, 2012, 02:23:45 PM »

4 eggo waffles? Gotta cut that out.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1588 on: July 01, 2012, 02:30:58 PM »

It was either that or starve.  This boy doesn't like to not eat...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #1589 on: July 01, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »

That's all grocery stores in Oklahoma have?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1590 on: July 01, 2012, 03:01:55 PM »

Bushie, avoid IHOP, McDonalds, B-K, other fast food......admit it you still eat it.  And tell you PARENTS not to cook bad sh**t for you when you eat there......I'm sure your mom would accomodate you.

And Torie, that's all cool and southern Californian, but Bushie can't afford pills, a gym, trainer or  some health food store or anything....if he just eats better and truly does some excercise let's leave it at that for now.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1591 on: July 01, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »

It's all that was available at Mom's house at the time.  I wasn't about to starve and I didn't have time to run to the grocery store and fix a healthy breakfast.

Gramps,

Yes, I still eat that stuff, and I know I shouldn't, but since I don't know how to cook (except for Spaghetti and Eggs), and my parents and grandmother haven't come over and taught me in over a year.  We've talked about it many times, but we have never done it.  If I can at least exercise and cut down on the bad stuff, and continue to lay off the regular soda, I'll be at least headed in the right direction. (I still have majority Diet Dr. Pepper with only an occasional regular Dr. Pepper or Pepsi).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1592 on: July 01, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »

Always an excuse. Wink
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1593 on: July 01, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 04:33:20 PM by Torie »

It was either that or starve.  This boy doesn't like to not eat...

It's all that was available at Mom's house at the time.  I wasn't about to starve and I didn't have time to run to the grocery store and fix a healthy breakfast.

Gramps,

Yes, I still eat that stuff, and I know I shouldn't, but since I don't know how to cook (except for Spaghetti and Eggs), and my parents and grandmother haven't come over and taught me in over a year.  We've talked about it many times, but we have never done it.  If I can at least exercise and cut down on the bad stuff, and continue to lay off the regular soda, I'll be at least headed in the right direction. (I still have majority Diet Dr. Pepper with only an occasional regular Dr. Pepper or Pepsi).

Ah yes, learning how to cook. I never had lessons. My mother was a horrible cook. But I got a BBQ, and managed to figure out that if you drop meat or poultry on the grill, it tends to cook. I discovered marinating beef and poultry in terriyaki sauce. I learned to read the labels on rice boxes, about how you put water in a pan in a certain amount, plus a certain amount of rice, drop in some olive oil maybe (you of course would use butter), cover and cook for a certain period of time.

As the years went by, I became more adventurous, and bought a cook book of stuff you can prepare in 30 minutes. Sure it took me twice as long, since I didn't know how to cook, but hey, there was some good stuff in there - like green bean soup.  You get some beans, some onions, some chicken broth soup, and saute the onions,, then heat the beans in the broth with the onions covering the pan, and after about 20 minutes, you blend it, and pour it into a bowl, drop a dollop of sour cream on the top, with some grated almonds, and voila, you have a protein packed dish that will cause your friends to think you are a gourmet cook, particularly if you add a bit of fresh garlic, or some lemon pepper into the mix.

I will save my catfish recipe for later - that one is even better. In meantime, shove some center cut lamb chops into the oven, covered in stone ground mustard (you might grill them first on the Barbee for a minute or two on each side, just to make them looked grilled for appearances sake). Do that, and you will have your way with any dinner guest you might be entertaining. He or she will be veritable putty in your hands. Smiley
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1594 on: July 01, 2012, 04:37:32 PM »

Jeff, can I make a possible suggestion to breakfasts i you have the time? Is it the healthiest thing, no.. probably not. But it can be very filling. Sometimes for breakfast, I do egg whites and turkey sausage with some salsa. It's pretty good, and pretty easy to make.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1595 on: July 01, 2012, 05:08:49 PM »

Cooking isn't that hard. At least for me it isn't, but I am Greek so maybe it just runs in our blood.

That said, you can get by without simply eating things like eggos, regular soda, frozen processed food etc. you'd be shocked at how much sodium things like that have in them, and if you simply cut that out, you'd see a tremendous difference. You said you had hypertension which isn't good for your age, but it is caused by high levels of sodium. You have to stop it or you won't live long. I know you won't but I feel like I have you warn you all the same.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1596 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:34 PM »

Jesus F... Christos...

Just experiment... do you know how to boil water? that's a good start - that means you can steam and poach...

I wasn't taught how to cook, I just started to do it when I was about 8 by just watching then I did simple things... now I love it and make really complex stuff.

If you want some healthy and simple recipes to try, just PM me, or ask here.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #1597 on: July 01, 2012, 11:45:29 PM »

Bushie, Internet can teach you how to cook.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1598 on: July 01, 2012, 11:54:47 PM »

If you can bring water in two pots to a boil (one for your choice of pasta, rice, or a potato; one for some 99 cent frozen veggie pack), preheat an oven to 375 degrees (for fresh chicken, beef, fish, whatever choice), and shake a seasoning shaker for five seconds, you can cook a complete square meal.  It's not gourmet, but neither is Wendy's.

Thanks for this thread, Bushie.  I hate fast food for lunch and dinner today, but these posts have reminded me how easy it is to cook for myself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1599 on: July 02, 2012, 02:09:27 AM »

I am home from Northeastern Oklahoma.  First off, thanks for all the cooking tips guys.  I guess it is pretty simple, I just have to start doing it.  It was a really good concert and fireworks display last evening, but the best part was spending time with my former pastor and his family.  I walked quite a bit last evening between the van and the concert venue.  It was a 5 minute walk one way and we made 2 complete laps (total of 20 minutes) carrying a big ice chest full of ice and bottled water.  So, because of that, I am going to defer my early morning walk until tomorrow morning (Tuesday morning).  I must have had about 5 glasses of water while I was there (2 bottles) plus had 2 glasses of instant iced tea mixed with sugar-free lemonade, oranges, lemons, and limes.  So, if you count the tea as water, I had 7 glasses of water.  Not bad, considering the recommended daily amount is between 6 and 8 glasses.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 61 62 63 [64] 65 66 67 68 69 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies