As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:44:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: As Bushie's World Turns (The Update Thread)  (Read 315976 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« on: November 17, 2011, 03:28:47 AM »

I'm never really sure what such trips hope to achieve; beyond creating a quite possibly misplaced sense of self-satisfaction.

Kenya is a 90%+ Christian country and has substantial unemployment.

Spending all that money to go to Africa to preach to the converted and in the meantime perform tasks that would normally be done by trained professionals back home (do you do a lot of plumbing or electrical work on your own home Bushie?), rather than maybe say putting some funds or effort into training some locals to do this work, doesn't seem like the best use of time, energy or resources to me.

Anyways, enjoy.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 02:59:53 PM »

I will also need crisp, fresh dollar bills (2006 or newer) as they have a better exchange rate.
oh my god...
No, that is good policy and it really has nothing to do with exchange rates.  I had to pay about $130 bucks for my entry Visa into Chile. If the bill had the slightest imperfection, they kicked it back to you. I had about 300 bucks in my pocket and barely had enough acceptable cash.  Many money exchanges would work on the same principal and only accept newer, clean bills.  They are a bit scared of accepting phoney money. 

Maybe I just don't have to deal with that having only been to Europe, but I've never even been asked about ratty bills I exchange. I've never heard of that in my life and I've exchanged money more times than I can count. Unless it's ripping in half or scuffed up beyond recognition, in which case I'd doubt you'd have it anyway, there should really be no problem with using used currency.

Also, you can go into most exchanges and order most currencies. Which would be more expensive but a much, MUCH better idea than waiting until you arrive at the foreign country to get their money.

It's a thing that seems to apply quite broadly around Africa. It doesn't seem to even necessarily apply to worn out bills either. Haven't yet gotten a particularly good answer on why that's so yet.

Bushie, make sure you have health insurance covering you when in Kenya. Nairobi probably has the best health facilities in east Africa, but you should probably make sure you're covered for medivac anyway.

And stick to bottled water where you can.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 03:35:55 AM »

While your rule there is certainly a good one, $150 is over 13,000 Kenyan shillings.

Your point being?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 08:42:56 AM »

I'm still not feeling too well and I'm calling the doctor at 8:00 this morning to see if I can get something for this nausea and vomiting and cramps that I've been having.  I have a feeling the mosquito bites are starting to catch up with me in the form of malaria.  I've got an appointment to get tested for malaria next Monday, 16 April at 13:30, but if I can get into my regular doctor today, I will get tested today and will be able to cancel Monday's appointment. 

If you've got the wrong strain of malaria you could be dead by next Monday, so it's probably advisable to make sure you get proper medical advice asap.

*Warning*
The preceding advice was not "bathed in prayer", but rather based on one person's understanding of medical "science".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies