IA PrimR: Iowa State University: Likely outlier poll has Gingrich at only 5%
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:30:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  IA PrimR: Iowa State University: Likely outlier poll has Gingrich at only 5%
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: IA PrimR: Iowa State University: Likely outlier poll has Gingrich at only 5%  (Read 745 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2011, 02:41:59 AM »

New Poll: Iowa President by Iowa State University on 2011-11-01

Summary:
Cain:
25%
Paul:
20%
Romney:
16%
Bachmann:
8%
Perry:
8%
Other:
15%
Undecided:
8%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 03:11:30 AM »

You entered this in the database as being Nov. 1, but doesn't it go by the last date the poll was taken (in this case Nov. 13)?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 03:14:05 AM »

You entered this in the database as being Nov. 1, but doesn't it go by the last date the poll was taken (in this case Nov. 13)?

Yeah, but it would scew up the average. There's no way Gingrich is at 5%, when all other polls have him between 15-20% during the Nov. 13 week.

Similar to this VA poll that was not entered, because Romney had a 30% lead over Cain, when other polls showed Cain ahead of Romney or tied.

At least, this poll is in the database now, but it won't screw the latest average.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 07:23:07 AM »

>Paul:   
20%

Well, here's the evidence of the previous poll not being completely out there.

What do you call something with a low roof that keeps rising? An elevator! Therefore, I shall call this the PAULAVATOR
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 08:35:49 AM »

Yeah, but it would scew up the average. There's no way Gingrich is at 5%, when all other polls have him between 15-20% during the Nov. 13 week.

Similar to this VA poll that was not entered, because Romney had a 30% lead over Cain, when other polls showed Cain ahead of Romney or tied.

At least, this poll is in the database now, but it won't screw the latest average.

Stop playing God, Tender!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 08:44:37 AM »

>Paul:   
20%

Well, here's the evidence of the previous poll not being completely out there.

What do you call something with a low roof that keeps rising? An elevator! Therefore, I shall call this the PAULAVATOR

The poll that has Newt Gingrich at 5% is your validation for that wacky Bloomberg poll? Lulz
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »

It's not an outlier. It's just old. Look the date, concluded Nov. 1.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 09:25:35 AM »

It's not an outlier. It's just old. Look the date, concluded Nov. 1.

bro, you gotta read the intervening posts, lest you come out with this.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 12:12:32 PM »

In 1 hour we should know more, because Rasmussen will release their latest Iowa poll.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 05:33:14 PM »

It doesn't matter. Throwing out outliers screws up the average. It doesn't matter if he's at 5% or not. The existence of this poll is evidence that the average you are trying to preserve is on the high side. This is how statistics works. You can't throw out data because you think it may be a statistical outlier. Those matter!

I know it got included anyway, but I've seen this logic espoused on this forum before and its just wrong.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 05:38:54 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2011, 06:15:12 PM by jmfcst »

I know it got included anyway, but I've seen this logic espoused on this forum before and its just wrong.

take it from your own personal jmfcst, this poll isn't worth the bandwidth it's consuming.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »

It doesn't matter. Throwing out outliers screws up the average. It doesn't matter if he's at 5% or not. The existence of this poll is evidence that the average you are trying to preserve is on the high side. This is how statistics works. You can't throw out data because you think it may be a statistical outlier. Those matter!

You certainly can throw out crappy polls from polling sites that rarely ever poll (like Vanderbilt which is complete bs) that have the leading candidate at 5% when a respected polling site (for republicans has them 30 points higher.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 01:56:47 AM »

There's no reason to not include this in the database with the proper date.  I mean, if you're going to include ARG polls in the database, then the running average in the database is kind of a joke anyway.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 02:49:14 AM »

There's no reason to not include this in the database with the proper date.  I mean, if you're going to include ARG polls in the database, then the running average in the database is kind of a joke anyway.

Someone corrected the poll anyway and put in Nov. 13, something I would have done anyway after there were 3 polls out showing the Gingrich surge that is actually taking place there right now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 04:33:11 AM »

Exactly. Either you throw out everything suspicious or you have to keep them all basically (barring internet polls, of course).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies