The size of my Wiener
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The size of my Wiener
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The size of my Wiener  (Read 1206 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2011, 12:39:28 PM »
« edited: November 17, 2011, 01:04:48 PM by Tender Branson »

Schnitzel that I had last Sunday was just really OK. I ate two of them, because they were so good.

Do you also like Wiener Schnitzel ?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 12:52:54 PM »

When I was in Berlin a few years back, we went to this little Austrian (I guess?) restaurant famous for its Schnitzel. It was probably a food wide, and on the plate underneath it were a bunch of potatoes too. When I was in Vienna I also had some at Figlmüller, which is apparently a famous restaurant of some sort. Pretty good food all in all.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:53:32 PM »

Yes.  Of course we consider it a vegetable.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »

Oh God yes!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »

It looks appetizing. Smiley
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 01:04:52 PM »

Though something I never understood is why at European restaurants they always give you that weird little "salad" thing on the side of the plate. A slice of tomato and a leaf of lettuce is not a salad and it's a pretty boring garnish...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 01:10:53 PM »

Yes.  Of course we consider it a vegetable.

hehehe Tongue
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »

Wiener Schnitzel + Austrian wine is a good combination. Although my favorite snack is a Doner Kebab and a Stiegl from the stands for €4.50. Grab that combo and go exploring!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 03:02:54 PM »

Wiener Schnitzel + Austrian wine is a good combination. Although my favorite snack is a Doner Kebab and a Stiegl from the stands for €4.50. Grab that combo and go exploring!

Mustafa's Kebab in Berlin is really awesome.
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 03:31:05 PM »

Stop trying to get into the funniest partial thread title thread.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 08:08:41 PM »

Mustafa's Kebab in Berlin is really awesome.

Gustaf and I don't agree on much, but Mustafa's Kebab is probably the most delicious thing I've ever eaten in my entire life. So much so that I missed my bus back to Prague just to get another kebab before I left Berlin.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »

I love Wienerschnitzel with lingonberries and a bit of lemon... with a side of buttered and herbed boiled baby reds and a nice salad.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 09:06:01 PM »

ugh.. Kebabs are so gross.  That sickly meat product that is usually over cooked so it's dry and hard and then doused in cucumber sauce...  I'd rather have a cardboard burger from McDonalds.  They're probably healthier for you.

My ultimate drunk snack was Leberkässemmerl with mustard.  Leberkäse, literally, liver cheese, is actually a pseudo bologna but better and it's shaped into a loaf form and sliced and put on crusty kaiser rolls with good spicy mustard.  It's pretty awesome.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 03:05:22 AM »

ugh.. Kebabs are so gross.  That sickly meat product that is usually over cooked so it's dry and hard and then doused in cucumber sauce...  I'd rather have a cardboard burger from McDonalds.  They're probably healthier for you.

My ultimate drunk snack was Leberkässemmerl with mustard.  Leberkäse, literally, liver cheese, is actually a pseudo bologna but better and it's shaped into a loaf form and sliced and put on crusty kaiser rolls with good spicy mustard.  It's pretty awesome.

Not if you eat the Austrian version of Kebab, which is a huge Puten-Kebab incl. salad in it and a really good mayonaise-ish sauce and a really sharp spice.

I have had this Puten-Kebab mostly in bigger restaurants, owned by Austrians of Turkish origin (people who were born here, but have Turkish parents). These restaurants are mostly 100% visited by Austrians and bursting because of business in there. They also know that Austrians like Puten-Kebab more than the original version.

On the other hand, you have the Kebab stands operated by Turkish immigrants who sell the stuff that you described and where you only find their relatives standing nearby and 1 Austrian customer every 3 days.

And, yes, the Leberkässemmel is always good - especially in the morning hours and in times like these when it's cold outside. Including mustard, pepperoni or pickles.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 03:50:46 AM »

Yeah, all the Kebab stands I frequented in Vienna were a) delicious and b) swamped by hordes of white people (presumably Austrians). Have you ever had a kebab box, Tender Branson? I would do unspeakable acts to obtain one of those here in the States.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 08:28:44 AM »

That looks really good. I've never had wiener schnitzel.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 05:13:53 PM »

I think I got a Kebab literally every single time I went into Vienna. They were amazing. And the pizza with corn and ham. There may have been two total times I didn't have one of those two things to eat while in Vienna...which is sad, but so worth it. Never tried the Kebab box either, but was tempted more than once.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 07:58:36 PM »

ugh.. Kebabs are so gross.  That sickly meat product that is usually over cooked so it's dry and hard and then doused in cucumber sauce...  I'd rather have a cardboard burger from McDonalds.  They're probably healthier for you.

My ultimate drunk snack was Leberkässemmerl with mustard.  Leberkäse, literally, liver cheese, is actually a pseudo bologna but better and it's shaped into a loaf form and sliced and put on crusty kaiser rolls with good spicy mustard.  It's pretty awesome.

Not if you eat the Austrian version of Kebab, which is a huge Puten-Kebab incl. salad in it and a really good mayonaise-ish sauce and a really sharp spice.

I have had this Puten-Kebab mostly in bigger restaurants, owned by Austrians of Turkish origin (people who were born here, but have Turkish parents). These restaurants are mostly 100% visited by Austrians and bursting because of business in there. They also know that Austrians like Puten-Kebab more than the original version.

On the other hand, you have the Kebab stands operated by Turkish immigrants who sell the stuff that you described and where you only find their relatives standing nearby and 1 Austrian customer every 3 days.

And, yes, the Leberkässemmel is always good - especially in the morning hours and in times like these when it's cold outside. Including mustard, pepperoni or pickles.
Funny enough I had exactly what you describe in Cologne of all places.  And it was much much better... but it wasn't turkey.  It was lamb I think... and it was made by Turkish immigrants.  I still prefer Austrian or native German cuisine... things like Schnitzel and Wurstsalat or Schweinebraten or Knödel.  My friends from South Tyrol made me some kind of poor man's food called Moos I believe... just flour and butter and milk cooked with salt.  It's surprisingly good but it will give you a stomach ache if you eat too much.

Another of my favorite German snackfoods is Currywurst with french fries doused in that curry ketchup (warm). 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »

Kebab is my favorite part of German cuisine.  Just like chicken tikka masala is my favorite part of British cuisine.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 02:05:26 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2011, 02:13:02 AM by Tender Branson »

Funny enough I had exactly what you describe in Cologne of all places.  And it was much much better... but it wasn't turkey.  It was lamb I think... and it was made by Turkish immigrants.  I still prefer Austrian or native German cuisine... things like Schnitzel and Wurstsalat or Schweinebraten or Knödel.  My friends from South Tyrol made me some kind of poor man's food called Moos I believe... just flour and butter and milk cooked with salt.  It's surprisingly good but it will give you a stomach ache if you eat too much.

Another of my favorite German snackfoods is Currywurst with french fries doused in that curry ketchup (warm).  

What you mean is actually the so called "Muas", or as my "master chef mom" makes it: "Äpflmuas" or "Kerschmuas" - incl. slices of apples or cherrys in it.

It's not "Apfelmus" in the direct sense, because that would translate into "apple sauce" - and that has not much to do with the dish.

This dish is very old and common in the Salzburg, Tyrol (also South) and Vorarlberg region. And you are right: If you eat a ton of it, you can get sick because there's usually a lot of butter or fat involved in cooking it. My grandma used to put in about 1/4 kilogram of butter when she made it 50 years ago. Your pancreas would have to argue with you after some time. It's like eating a 10-inch piece of Tiramisu at once ... Wink

PS: I think the reason for the big amount of fat was because there were many farmers in the area 50 years ago and they worked hard. So, it was easy to cook and they needed all the fat because they had hard work on the fields and in the forests, chopping wood.

What you refer to as "Moos" is actually not eatable, because Moos is growing around trees, I think it's called "moss" in English.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies