NH Primary: Gingrich catches Romney!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:21:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential Primary Election Polls
  NH Primary: Gingrich catches Romney!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NH Primary: Gingrich catches Romney!  (Read 5962 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »

http://nhjournal.com/2011/11/18/poll-romney-gingrich-in-statistical-dead-heat-in-n-h/

29 Romney
27 Gingrich
16 Paul
10 Cain
8 Huntsman
2 Bachmann
2 Perry
1 Santorum

Other news- Paul/Hunstman doing pretty well
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 12:05:50 PM »

Mitt Romney HQ: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7yp2CCULHA
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAA
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »

Go Newt! Grin
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 12:23:42 PM »

I'm beginning to think that having a solid organization or good "fundamentals" doesn't matter in this day and age. It's less about the ground game, and more about the soundbites put into the media. I mean, what else could account for Cain and Newt's rise? Newt's entire campaign team ditched him, and Cain loses top staffers every couple of months. Romney's had the strongest campaign team from the get-go, with electioneering veterans around him as well as large numbers of people in the swing states. Yet he can't shuffle past 30% nationally, and now in NH, his "safe" state, he leads by two. Unless this poll is an outlier, I would expect that whoever wins Iowa, wins New Hampshire.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 12:28:01 PM »

I am starting to feel really bad for Mitt Romney, he wins every single debate and he sounds the most presidential, but he just doesn't move the polls.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »

This also makes it clear- whoever the initial frontrunner is will fall. Maybe Romney can pick back up, but Presidents Dean, Giuliani, and Hillary Clinton aren't bettin those odds.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 12:29:19 PM »

I am starting to feel really bad for Mitt Romney, he wins every single debate and he sounds the most presidential, but he just doesn't move the polls.
I think he simply is too clearly an embodiment of what people don't like about politiicians. Fair or not- he's handsome&rich which most people aren't, and he will say anything to win
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »

I'm beginning to think that having a solid organization or good "fundamentals" doesn't matter in this day and age. It's less about the ground game, and more about the soundbites put into the media. I mean, what else could account for Cain and Newt's rise? Newt's entire campaign team ditched him, and Cain loses top staffers every couple of months. Romney's had the strongest campaign team from the get-go, with electioneering veterans around him as well as large numbers of people in the swing states. Yet he can't shuffle past 30% nationally, and now in NH, his "safe" state, he leads by two. Unless this poll is an outlier, I would expect that whoever wins Iowa, wins New Hampshire.

I think there's a lot of truth to this and one of the more interesting things about this cycle. However, we shouldn't really jump to conclusions about this until voting actually occurs. It's a lot easier for Cain and Gingrich supporters to say they support them in a telephone poll than it is for them to actually show up and vote... we could have a situation where the campaigns that built a good infrastructure in Iowa and NH end up doing a lot better than they're polling. We just won't know until Election Day.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:45:33 PM »

This also makes it clear- whoever the initial frontrunner is will fall. Maybe Romney can pick back up, but Presidents Dean, Giuliani, and Hillary Clinton aren't bettin those odds.

Kerry was the "frontrunner by default" many months before Dean became frontrunner.  And McCain was the frontrunner before Giuliani was.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:07 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2011, 12:57:54 PM by jmfcst »

LOL...perhaps Gordon Lightfoot will write a new song entiltled The Wreck of the Mittens Romney
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 12:54:35 PM »

Mostly agree, except with a few caveats:

If Romney wins Iowa, it doesn't matter. He'll still lose the overall election; the opposition to him will coalesce around whoever comes in second in Iowa.

If someone other than Gingrich or Romney wins Iowa, Romney will still win NH. NH's electorate is probably only amenable to voting for Romney, Gingrich or Huntsman (and maybe Paul). They wouldn't ever vote for Cain or Perry or Bachmann--not their style. Part of why Gingrich is such a threat to Romney is that he's not just cleaning up the anti-Romney vote. He also appeals to a lot of long-time Romney supporters because he's not as much of an unknown quantity as the other anti-Romney candidates.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 12:58:58 PM »

I am starting to feel really bad for Mitt Romney

yeah, he must be really hating the GOP at this point.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 01:12:07 PM »

If these last couple of polls are correct, Romney seems to be in huge trouble.

But there are still 5 weeks until the Christmas holidays.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 01:13:56 PM »

I think the squabble with Perry during the NV debate was Romney's Waterloo, even though Perry was the cause of the fight.  Not that Romney would have won the nomination (he never had a path to the nomination), but it put a very hard top in place and never allowed him to break 30%.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 01:17:49 PM »

I think the squabble with Perry during the NV debate was Romney's Waterloo, even though Perry was the cause of the fight.

^^^^

But this newest development is hilarious. Romney's team must be pissing themselves.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 01:19:52 PM »

....and every other NH poll shows Romney comfortably ahead.

Certain posters on here are as bad as the mainstream media when it comes to analysing polls.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 01:21:44 PM »

And it seems to me you ran your campaign like a moderate hero in the wind.  Never knowing where to stand when public opinion shifted.  And I would have liked to vote for you, but the GOP primaries never did.  Your candidacy flamed out long before the polling skid.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 01:48:18 PM »

Seriously, I wonder how Mitt feels this morning. The man has spent the last 4-5 years in that state building up support, hell he lives there! And yet still, he is apparently headed to a close race in the primary with thrice-married/gasbag Newt Gingrich.

Chris Christie has to be kicking himself,  talk about turning down a golden opportunity.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2011, 01:57:32 PM »

And it seems to me you ran your campaign like a moderate hero in the wind.  Never knowing where to stand when public opinion shifted.  And I would have liked to vote for you, but the GOP primaries never did.  Your candidacy flamed out long before the polling skid.

You weren’t justified with your shuck and jive
With Herman Cain, we spit in your eye
The GOP is changing, we now like the blacks
But the jmfcst’s gonna bitch slap you when the Newt gets back

He’s a Newt, he’s a Newt
Oh the Newt is back
Leading in NH as a matter of fact
You can’t bitch, you can’t bitch
`Cause Newt’s better than you
It's the way that you flipped
And in the polls you’re a flop
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »

And that's a shame.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:52 PM »

Solid Romney > Toss-up

Never thought I'd see the day.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 03:40:42 PM »

LOL @ Perry

Also, I still think Romney will win NH, though he'll have to fight a bit for it. Newt may not shoot himself in the foot, but he will settle a bit from this new bump. From here on out, it's Mitt and Newt.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2011, 03:40:51 PM »

Now, now.  Let's wait for confirmation on this before jumping the gun.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »

....and every other NH poll shows Romney comfortably ahead.

Certain posters on here are as bad as the mainstream media when it comes to analysing polls.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies