PPP: Today, Abraham Lincoln would beat Jefferson Davis in Mississippi
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 08:50:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  PPP: Today, Abraham Lincoln would beat Jefferson Davis in Mississippi
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP: Today, Abraham Lincoln would beat Jefferson Davis in Mississippi  (Read 1694 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 18, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »

If there was a Presidential election between Jefferson Davis and Abraham Lincoln, who would you vote for?

Abraham Lincoln............................................. 55%
Jefferson Davis ............................................... 28%

Do you think interracial marriage should be legal or illegal?

Legal............................................................... 60%
Illegal .............................................................. 23%

Would you support or oppose Mississippi seceding from the United States?

Support ........................................................... 10%
Oppose ........................................................... 68%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_MS_1118.pdf
Jacobtm

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 03:38:31 PM »

Wonder if other states would support kicking Mississippi out of the United States.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 03:48:28 PM »

I see the people of Mississippi have finally been brainwashed to accept their place under the yoke of the U.S. government.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 04:11:58 PM »

Today, Abraham Lincoln would beat Jefferson Davis in Mississippi

What?  Who wouldn't beat Jefferson Davis for President?  You need a poll for this?  You could put Vladimir Putin up against Jefferson Davis and he'd win.

I'm not saying that Davis was a good president or a bad president, but consider modern sensibilities.  The man was arrested and charged with treason in 1865.  He tried to alter the 1948 Treaty of Guadelupe Hidalgo to annex even more of Mexico.  (Not that US territorial expansion of Mexico was justified to the extent that it happened, but Davis pretty much wanted the whole enchilada.)  He was a major proponent of slavery.  He is inextricably associated with the CSA.  (Even decent and good men like Robert E. Lee get smeared over association with the CSA, so you know someone like Davis will be.)  On top of all that, he's a Democrat.

Really, does it surprise anyone that Davis would be roundly defeated by Lincoln in Mississippi?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:14:35 PM »

agreed, it's a very dumb, even to the point of being offensive, poll
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 04:15:28 PM »

Lol.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

Seriously? I'm surprised they didn't poll about whether or not slavery should be legal.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:43 PM »

From those numbers, at first I thought Davis might still be beating Lincoln among whites, but according to the cross-tabs, he doesn't.  For some reason, Davis manages low double digits among blacks and liberals.  I wonder what Davis' name recognition is, but probably higher in the South than elsewhere.

I don't know whether wanting a constitutional amendment for a mascot is hilarious or sad.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 04:31:55 PM »

Do you think interracial marriage should be legal or illegal?

Legal............................................................... 60%
Illegal .............................................................. 23%

That's the only number I'd consider too high, actually. 23% over the acceptable limit, actually.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 04:56:13 PM »

I doubt Davis has much name recognition, even in MS.
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 05:31:15 PM »

Interracial marriage is much less popular than Lincoln.

What's insulting isn't that they asked this question, it's that nearly 1/4 people in MS think interracial marriage should be illegal.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 10:13:44 PM »

What's insulting isn't that they asked this question, it's that nearly 1/4 people in MS think interracial marriage should be illegal.

Not insulting.  Surprising.  I lived in Columbus, Mississippi from July 2004 till July 2007 with my other-race wife and my half-white son and I don't ever remember one single incident, sign, or look of disapproval or confusion from the locals.  One would assume either that I'm simply not paying attention, or that this poll is suspect.  In that sense the poll doesn't exactly insult my intelligence, but it surprises me.  I'd assumed that polling tries to be at least somewhat scientific.  But, as Vorlon the Great Pollster reminds us from time to time, you cannot really rely on polling as a measure of anything more than who answered how on the particular day that the poll was taken.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »

because you're white.  if you were black with a white wife looks would've been the least of it.
Jacobtm

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »

Man, interracial marriage was illegal there until the Supreme Court ruled against it in 1967. No one should be surprised that many people in Mississippi are still deeply racist.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 01:34:37 AM »

because you're white.  if you were black with a white wife looks would've been the least of it.

Asian women don't threaten the established order.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2011, 01:25:22 PM »

I'd imagine interracial marriage is just as unpopular among blacks as it is among whites, down there.

Also, even though support for succession is low, I like how a lot of people are answering "not sure."  Which means there is some hope, that some people haven't jumped on the "nationalism durka durka" crazy train.
Nhoj
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.52, S: -7.74

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2011, 06:53:41 PM »

I'd imagine interracial marriage is just as unpopular among blacks as it is among whites, down there.

Also, even though support for succession is low, I like how a lot of people are answering "not sure."  Which means there is some hope, that some people haven't jumped on the "nationalism durka durka" crazy train.
The poll says 13% of blacks think interracial marriage should be illegal and 27% of whites think so.

Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2011, 11:21:05 AM by Jesus Wept »

Abraham Lincoln is almost as popular as the legality of Interracial Marriage.

Fascinating.

EDIT: Re-edited post to recognize difference between "approving" of Interracial Marriage and "approving" of the legalization of Interracial Marriage.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2011, 09:18:57 PM »

The poll says 13% of blacks think interracial marriage should be illegal and 27% of whites think so.

I'd imagine there are still a lot of people who disapprove of interracial marriage, while still saying it should be legal.  Both black and white.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 12:49:39 PM »

Are they going to poll Alabama and other Southern states to ask the same questions?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 12:58:03 PM »

Almost all of the people who support secession, and probably a good chunk of those who are unsure, adhere to Southern/Confederate Nationalism rather than American Nationalism.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2011, 01:17:07 PM »

No need to.  In 2000, Alabama became the last state to legalize inter-racial marriage.  I was living in Boston at the time but I recall reading about it.  Something like 40% of the people voted to maintain the anti-miscegenation laws.  So, presumably, for at least eleven years the majority of Alabamians have been comfortable with with marriages across racial lines.  I suspect some fraction of all populations (Black, White, and especially Koreans) would be against marrying outside one's race, but even Alabama finally acquiesced to changing its laws.

Not sure about the Davis versus Lincoln question, but Davis wasn't an Alabamian, and would have less name recognition there, so we can guess that his numbers would be lower.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies