DC Electors
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:40:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  DC Electors
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DC Electors  (Read 1206 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2011, 12:53:38 AM »

We all know there is nothing in the Constitution guaranteeing citizens the right to vote for President.  A state's government may appoint Electors however it chooses, and could have the legislature appoint them, rather than hold an election- as was done in South Carolina until after the Civil War.

So, how does this apply to DC? The 23rd amendment says that the District shall appoint electors, in such manner as CONGRESS may direct. Theoretically, could not a Republican controlled Congress appoint electors for DC without any regard to the wishes of DC residents? What could prevent Congress from doing so?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 10:57:44 AM »

Very good idea. When I run the world, I'll see how that pans out...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »

We all know there is nothing in the Constitution guaranteeing citizens the right to vote for President.  A state's government may appoint Electors however it chooses, and could have the legislature appoint them, rather than hold an election- as was done in South Carolina until after the Civil War.

So, how does this apply to DC? The 23rd amendment says that the District shall appoint electors, in such manner as CONGRESS may direct. Theoretically, could not a Republican controlled Congress appoint electors for DC without any regard to the wishes of DC residents? What could prevent Congress from doing so?
Congress can't appoint the electors. It can only make (and presumably cook) the rules under which the district appoints them.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:47:03 PM »

Couldn't they make the rules that they must pick between 3 persons hand-picked by congress?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:06:17 PM »

Technically, Congress could choose the DC electors, but as a practical matter, if they did so, or if any state tried to do so in place of the popular vote of that state choosing the electors.  The only sort of electoral shenanigans that could possibly take place these days is have a state select its electors on a proportional or gerrymandered basis to enable a party that would lose a statewide popular vote to nonetheless get some of the electoral votes of that state.

Incidentally, it is possible for DC to have more than 3 electors, but only if every State had more than 3 electors which isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 01:29:06 AM »

Very good idea. When I run the world, I'll see how that pans out...

I'll vote for you in D.C. Cathcon!  Today U.S., then tomorrow Cuba, then next week the world....  Anyway I'll make sure your conquests go smoothly
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies