Let's not kid ourselves any longer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:21:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Let's not kid ourselves any longer
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let's not kid ourselves any longer  (Read 584 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2011, 04:41:15 AM »

The Senate is the most dominant branch of government at any level. However, it lacks the structural framework needed to operate in the way I expect a legislative branch of a powerful democracy to function. The Senate is a free for all. We need to reform the Senate in a way that contributes new dynamics to the game. My idea involves creating a Senate Leader positions separate from the PPT or possibly giving the PPT these powers, even allowing one person to serve both roles. Party coalitions and personal relationships among Senators will become more important in promoting a legislative agenda. At times a President may struggle against an opposing Senate, or be forced to compromise, similar to Obama and the Republican Congress.

The Senate can be more than a playground where laws are proposed and voted on. In effect, we can have politics become an element in our election and government simulation. As it stands now, there is no accountability or appreciation for some of the goings-on in the Senate.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »

The Senate needs a Speaker, who does not vote, to enforce the rules. The speaker, however, could break ties.
I suggest the VP be made this speaker.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »

That doesn't really solve any problems.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2011, 06:39:52 AM »

Part 2: make the speaker as anal about the rules as I can be when I want to be
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2011, 07:01:05 AM »

That actually creates new problems.

How about discussing the subject of the thread.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2011, 07:18:16 AM »

So what you're proposing is to make the Senate dynamics subject to more political discipline? And/or creating a new level of political discourse?

One thing from my experience is that with the exception of voting... generally party discipline and similar thoughts and processes falls apart when faced with something that a person simply doesn't like.

But if you can get something positive out of it... I'd support it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2011, 09:29:54 AM »

The Senate is the most dominant branch of government at any level. However, it lacks the structural framework needed to operate in the way I expect a legislative branch of a powerful democracy to function. The Senate is a free for all. We need to reform the Senate in a way that contributes new dynamics to the game. My idea involves creating a Senate Leader positions separate from the PPT or possibly giving the PPT these powers, even allowing one person to serve both roles. Party coalitions and personal relationships among Senators will become more important in promoting a legislative agenda. At times a President may struggle against an opposing Senate, or be forced to compromise, similar to Obama and the Republican Congress.

The Senate can be more than a playground where laws are proposed and voted on. In effect, we can have politics become an element in our election and government simulation. As it stands now, there is no accountability or appreciation for some of the goings-on in the Senate.

Here's the problem: The Senate isn't a big enough institution to be capable of actually carrying out that ideal. Nor is our party system in a state where it can actually do that either. "Coalitions"? What coalitions? We're a two party system at this point, where occasionally one or two members gets into the Senate that aren't in one of the established parties, but even still clearly align with one or the other.

And you expect to find a way to carry out meaningful majority/minority leader positions with 10 members?

Especially since the JCP has almost routinely managed 4-5 seats for what feels like ages now, not to mention a barely interrupted record of Presidential/Vice Presidential election victories since I registered in this game nearly 3 years ago now. Hell, according to the Wiki's records of Senate composition, until this last election, the RPP hasn't managed more than three Senators in two and ahalf years.

You're right, the Senate could be a fascinating place with interesting partisan dynamics. If the Senate looked more like this: https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/images/8/87/Atlasia_Senate.PNG

I'm loving this weird new rush to come up with new game reform ideas by some people in the public, but so far they've all been desperate attempts to treat the symptoms and not actually face the root of the problem; and I'll spoil it for you:

Registration Statistics
November 10, 2011

RegionJCPRPPSPAUDLPOPOtherIndTotal
Northeast17113252545
Mideast6140010425
South3111103423
Midwest834212222
Pacific1410201321
Total4840877818136

Nothing, absolutely nothing will effectively change as long as that balance remains the same.

Know what might actually create "party coalitions"? A balance more like this:

CENSUS ATLASIA
Voter List has been updated

RegionJCPRPPUDLPOPOtherIndTotal
Northeast1075152443
Mideast513611228
South49172326
Midwest731122126
Pacific111511221
Total37332826812144

But doing something like that might label you a "traitor."
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 09:33:51 AM »

Not what I was talking about.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 09:36:35 AM »

It all comes back to the same thing, does it not? People desperately trying to treat a disease they refuse to recognize? You cannot make the Senate effectively function like a parliament in it's current structure, nor with the current political demographics. Making the PPT, or effective PPT, a more partisan position changes absolutely nothing in an institution that's been largely dominated by the same people for two years. There's barely any need to compromise with a Senate where you already have 80% of the votes you need from the get-go.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »

Well if we adopted new rules for getting legislation on the floor, I could support a separate election for the Vice Presidency. 11 works better than ten. Oh, and it might also bring me around to the idea of giving a VP Senate powers.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »

Well if we adopted new rules for getting legislation on the floor, I could support a separate election for the Vice Presidency. 11 works better than ten. Oh, and it might also bring me around to the idea of giving a VP Senate powers.

Oooh.. Now we can talk.. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies