Your dream dinner (3 people, living or dead)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:21:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Your dream dinner (3 people, living or dead)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Your dream dinner (3 people, living or dead)  (Read 5870 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2011, 09:19:09 PM »

André Siegfried (my model), José Antonio Aguirre and... Pearson/Trudeau?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2011, 11:31:25 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2011, 11:35:05 PM by Teddy (SoFE) »

I pick 3 dead people so I can nom their food while they are busy being dead.

But, seriously, my answer would probably be something like, Ian Paisley, Gerry Adams, and David Ford to hear their opinions - or perhaps Tommy Douglas, John Diefenbaker, and Leslie Frost to hear how they always managed to keep the people first - or if I were going American, George Washington, Franklin Roosevelt, and Barack Obama, to hear the stories they'd tell one another.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2011, 11:43:36 PM »

Assuming they're all 40, let's say, and I can't have family... I'd have one of Marlene Dietrich, Joan Crawford, or Bette Davis; one of James Cook, Benjamin Disraeli, or Alfred Deakin; and either Oscar Wilde or Freddie Mercury. It'd be a difficult thing trying to get the table blance right, but I think I'd probably go with Dietrich, Disraeli, and Freddy.

(A German, a Jew and an Arab walk into a bar... Tongue)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2011, 11:46:03 PM »

Oh, and Adam, as in Adam and Eve, as the waiter. Stupid, naked and gullible with a literally divine body.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2011, 11:56:35 PM »

I feel like a selfish idiot. Tongue Has my Dad's death meant so little to me that I don't remember to put him on the list? I can't believe myself. God, this is horrible. Let's hope he's having a good meal with Jesus, Jefferson, & Jimbo right now.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 12:03:58 AM »

Hillary (or Bill) Clinton, Jimmy Carter, and Barack Obama... as far as living people go.  They would all provide for excellent conversation on the topic of current affairs.

Dead?  No idea. 
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 12:13:30 AM »

Let me riff on a name for my invitations (all dead alas) ...

I'll start by inviting Isaac Asimov, a prolific writer who could write on any topic, past present or future.

I'm sure he would have appreciated an invitation to Isaac Newton who has been described as the last man to know all that there was to know in he world available to him while he lived.

And since both of these men were trained in science but wrote on religion as well, I would do them the honor of inviting their namesake Isaac, son of Abraham.

I think the ensuing discussion would be engaging for all.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 12:45:15 AM »

Jesus, obviously; Arii Shokyuu (probably one of the most obscure of all major Japanese poets, but I'd love to pick her brains on her main subjects: Faith, humor, nature, and tradition); and a spot left open for whatever other luminary might show him- or herself, but I'd definitely be hoping very much for one or more of Marcus Aurelius, Takasue no Musume, Margery Kempe, Christopher Smart, Ema Saiko, Ninomiya Sontoku, John Ruskin, Charles Williams, Yoshiya Nobuko, and Flannery O'Connor.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:13 AM »

I'll start by inviting Isaac Asimov, a prolific writer who could write on any topic, past present or future.

I'm sure he would have appreciated an invitation to Isaac Newton who has been described as the last man to know all that there was to know in he world available to him while he lived.

And since both of these men were trained in science but wrote on religion as well, I would do them the honor of inviting their namesake Isaac, son of Abraham.

Of all the characters in the Bible you pick Isaac?  He's a bit player in his own near-sacrifice, his own wedding, and his end-of-life blessing.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2011, 01:32:49 AM »

I'd also debate a dinner with Hitler, Stalin, and Pol Pot, or Sid*, JC**, and Moe***

*Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddah
**Jesus Christ
***Mohammed the profit.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2011, 03:19:41 AM »

Assuming they're all 40, let's say, and I can't have family... I'd have one of Marlene Dietrich, Joan Crawford, or Bette Davis; one of James Cook, Benjamin Disraeli, or Alfred Deakin; and either Oscar Wilde or Freddie Mercury. It'd be a difficult thing trying to get the table blance right, but I think I'd probably go with Dietrich, Disraeli, and Freddy.

(A German, a Jew and an Arab walk into a bar... Tongue)

Freddie Mercury was a Parsi, wasn't he?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2011, 06:46:50 AM »

Of all the characters in the Bible you pick Isaac?  He's a bit player in his own near-sacrifice, his own wedding, and his end-of-life blessing.

Two reasons. First, as I noted, he was the namesake of the other two. Second, though his written history is less than others, he was the longest lived of the three patriarchs and should be able to fill gaps in the history of the patriarchs. I thought the other two guests would appreciate this in the conversation.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2011, 09:30:22 AM »
« Edited: November 22, 2011, 09:40:39 AM by Pensando en volver »

Off the top of my head and I wanted to choose three different types of people...

Ludwig Wittgenstein, Robert Anton Wilson and J.G. Ballard. EDIT: Decided to change things around a bit.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »

Marc Bloch, Dennis Potter... and... hmm... Leszek Kołakowski? George Orwell? Irving Howe? Hard to choose, and there would be other possibilities as well. It would certainly be amusingly waspish (because all of them were), and that's how I like things.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2011, 09:41:15 AM »

From the forum it would be Napoleon, Mechaman, and Hamilton
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2011, 09:42:06 AM »

Marc Bloch, Dennis Potter... and... hmm... Leszek Kołakowski? George Orwell? Irving Howe? Hard to choose, and there would be other possibilities as well. It would certainly be amusingly waspish (because all of them were), and that's how I like things.

Hazlitt would be another possibility, of course.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »

I raise you Lucien Febvre if you want dinner party discussion of that persuasion. Someone who won't comment on the dinner itself but pass remarks on the sociological setting of the diners and this history of mealtimes Smiley Which would be ideal if you're not the best cook...
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2011, 10:54:00 AM »

Michael Vick, Cory Booker, Bob Marley. Easy
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2011, 06:23:37 PM »

To solve some of my favourite mysteries: Lin Biao, Lavrenty Beria and Martin Bormann

To make me "cleverer": Jesus, Planck and Beethoven
(and I'd take my cheeses and my desert with Churchill, after Beethoven would have become deaf or would have taken place at the piano)

With living people, to learn about contemporary history: Gorbachev, Helmut Kohl and Alain Juppé
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »

Him alone well.. wouldn't you be overwhelmed?
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »

To solve some of my favourite mysteries: Lin Biao, Lavrenty Beria and Martin Bormann

To make me "cleverer": Jesus, Planck and Beethoven
(and I'd take my cheeses and my desert with Churchill, after Beethoven would have become deaf or would have taken place at the piano)

With living people, to learn about contemporary history: Gorbachev, Helmut Kohl and Alain Juppé

I realize that I must add another formula: I should have a dinner with women !
Let's say... Halle Berry, Jodie Foster and Naomi Watts: less serious, eh ? Wink
And for the dead ones: Ingrid Bergman, Grace Kelly and the young Diana Rigg (well, she's dead in a way... Tongue)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »

Carl Sagan, Hunter Thompson and...lets say, Brigitte Bardot.  Lets make it 1959 for fun.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2011, 09:37:58 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2011, 09:39:42 PM by Thankful »

I'm not going to choose anyone who lived more than 300 years ago, simply because I don't think it would it would be relevant or comparable to my experiences. That being said, I would probably choose political figures when it came down to it... while I would love to talk music with John Lennon, art with Picasso, psychology with Freud, and sex with Monroe, that's what it would fall to. I'll also keep my choices within languages I can understand.

Due to Anglo-Saxon tendencies, my choices would be Lord Randolph Churchill, Theodore Roosevelt, and Otto von Bismarck. I have no idea how this would turn out; here you have three people used to dominating the room sitting at a dinner table.

Oh, and I'd probably invite Mint, Alexander Hamilton, and Xahar.

By Alexander Hamilton, do you mean Kyle Mercado?

Oh, and Nostradamus' three Anti-Christs: Napoleon Bonaparte, Adolf Hitler, and whoever the third one is. Let's say it's Osama Bin Ladden.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »

BushOK's ex, Naso's dad, and BRTD's imaginary daughter.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2011, 03:28:34 PM »

I think Wittgenstein and Anton Wilson would be more overwhelming to be honest.

If I could add more people, I think Wilde and Milovan Djilas would round up an interesting five.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies