CBO: Obama Stimulus Package Added 3.3 Million Jobs (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:34:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CBO: Obama Stimulus Package Added 3.3 Million Jobs (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: CBO: Obama Stimulus Package Added 3.3 Million Jobs  (Read 6561 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: November 23, 2011, 04:13:49 PM »

It has nothing to do with it. Just let him be.

It has everything to do with it. Again I work in Finance I get this stuff much better than other folks on here. So this is quite easy for me to explain. The problem is that most people on here will just have there eyes glaze over and just go on preferring to be ignorant to something like this.

Your point was completely irrelevant, Wonk, because had there not been the extra 800 billion of treasuries (an incredibly insignificant amount btw), the same amount of money would still have gone into treasuries (or quite possibly even more), but the price of treasuries would have simply been minutely higher.  Thus, no jobs created.  Only direct government spending can create jobs in a deflation/depression.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:35:33 PM »

It has nothing to do with it. Just let him be.

It has everything to do with it. Again I work in Finance I get this stuff much better than other folks on here. So this is quite easy for me to explain. The problem is that most people on here will just have there eyes glaze over and just go on preferring to be ignorant to something like this.

Your point was completely irrelevant, Wonk, because had there not been the extra 800 billion of treasuries (an incredibly insignificant amount btw), the same amount of money would still have gone into treasuries (or quite possibly even more), but the price of treasuries would have simply been minutely higher.  Thus, no jobs created.  Only direct government spending can create jobs in a deflation/depression.

This is just factually incorrect.

Dude, if you have X amount of something and you increase its supply by, say 0.1%, that should decrease its price (per each unit) by a very tiny amount, no?  That is all the stimulous package did - increased the supply of treasuries by an infinitismal amount.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:00:30 PM »

...if you have X amount of something and you increase its supply by, say 0.1%, that should decrease its price (per each unit) by a very tiny amount, no?  That is all the stimulous package did - increased the supply of treasuries by an infinitismal amount.
...any reduction in price doesn't make $800 billion new treasuries cost 0 through price reductions which is essentially the argument your making(although you may not realize you are). The price might drop causing total amount of capital directed to them to be less than if you modeled them statically. But there is still serious capital going into them.

No, I never said the cost was zero, just that it was less than 800 billion.  Even if it were 800 billion, that amount is a) completely insignificantly small, and b) just fine, because the point is that in a deflation/depression, there is no shortage of capital.  Capital is plentiful and uninvested in the inevitable downward spiral of a capitalist failure, and the job of the State is to take said capital out of the hands of the 'private investor' and invest it (spend it) Itself.  The point is is the control of the capital, and the need to reform capitalism by partial nationalization of same, because private control of capital is unworkable.

The ideal action an economic downturn is to seize the capital of the rich and spend it on the day-to-day hand-to-mouth needs of their poor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies