American politics is so polarized.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:57:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  American politics is so polarized.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American politics is so polarized....  (Read 2106 times)
Wonkish1

« on: November 23, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »

Yeah, there are  a handful of "centrists" in both parties, but for the most part, the Republican Party is dominated by it's hard-line "conservative" faction and the Democrats are dominated by...well, the Democrats aren't dominated by anyone except people who are opposed to the Republicans.

What happened to the days of "bipartisan cooperation" on issues, particularly on issues that didn't result in really bad outcomes? What happened to the influence of Congressional Committees?

Nice job in not seeming partisan while decrying the lack of bipartisanship Roll Eyes
Wonkish1

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »

The best Democrat you guys had was Feingold in my opinion - I had a heck of a lot of respect for him because he voted how he thought - he was principled.

I actually had respect for Feingold. I mean at least the guy set a results based priority as his primary priority and that was the national debt. Practically every other major Democrat just sets their primary priority at more government which isn't even results based its an ideological goal.

I also have respect for Lieberman, but I doubt many Dems on here do.
Wonkish1

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:14 PM »

The best Democrat you guys had was Feingold in my opinion - I had a heck of a lot of respect for him because he voted how he thought - he was principled.

I actually had respect for Feingold. I mean at least the guy set a results based priority as his primary priority and that was the national debt. Practically every other major Democrat just sets their primary priority at more government which isn't even results based its an ideological goal.

I could say the same about Republicans and "less government."

But it wouldn't necessarily be accurate. Many, many GOP politicians are very results oriented and will back any proposal that looks like it will produce better results. I wouldn't call advocating for Charter Schools(which are public) or for example Universal Health Records as officially "less government" positions.
Wonkish1

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 12:18:04 AM »

But it wouldn't necessarily be accurate. Many, many GOP politicians are very results oriented and will back any proposal that looks like it will produce better results. I wouldn't call advocating for Charter Schools(which are public) or for example Universal Health Records as officially "less government" positions.

Charter Schools are very much an ideological construct because they tend to subvert unionization (95% of charter schools aren't unionized) and promote uniforms/"christian conservative" values.

They also don't perform well:

Actually they do perform well hence why Democrats Arne Duncan, Al Sharpton, and Michelle Rhee support them. Its a purely results based pick...conservatives have more "ideological" picks at their disposal.
Wonkish1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 12:27:31 AM »

Charter Schools are very much an ideological construct because they tend to subvert unionization (95% of charter schools aren't unionized) and promote uniforms/"christian conservative" values.

Actually they do perform well hence why Democrats Arne Duncan, Al Sharpton, and Michelle Rhee support them. Its a purely results based pick...conservatives have more "ideological" picks at their disposal.

I couldn't post the graph from the results Stanford study (which I'm sure you've heard about) which show that while brighter children tend to do better at charter schools, average children tend to struggle. On the whole, students are charter schools perform worse on test scores. If you want a link, I'll post it.

You've shown no evidence that they perform better though. I don't care about the opinions of a fake Democrat, a centrist Democrat and a politician I don't care about.

I've seen the Stanford study. But look the highest performing inner city schools are charter schools. Its pretty much across the board true and they are minority in quantity in comparison of district run schools. And they operate with smaller budgets.

Your party is in the process of turning on this issue. You can be whatever side you want, but you will be in a very small minority of the population within a short period of time.
Wonkish1

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 12:44:15 AM »

I couldn't post the graph from the results Stanford study (which I'm sure you've heard about) which show that while brighter children tend to do better at charter schools, average children tend to struggle. On the whole, students are charter schools perform worse on test scores. If you want a link, I'll post it.

You've shown no evidence that they perform better though. I don't care about the opinions of a fake Democrat, a centrist Democrat and a politician I don't care about.

I've seen the Stanford study. But look the highest performing inner city schools are charter schools. Its pretty much across the board true and they are minority in quantity in comparison of district run schools. And they operate with smaller budgets.

Your party is in the process of turning on this issue. You can be whatever side you want, but you will be in a very small minority of the population within a short period of time.

Evidence? Because the Stanford study shows that across the board, that isn't the case.

Nope, false. Adrian Fenty was defeated in DC based on the issue (I still would have voted for him Gray though), charter schools don't work. I went to one. There is a total lack of accountability at charter schools and they're a dumping ground for right-wing dogma.

If you look at the list of the best innercity public schools the top of the list is dominated by charter schools. That is what I'm pointing out.

Not all charter schools are created equal, but the reason why they get better over time is because if a charter school isn't doing well they either get replaced by new control and a new model or another one comes in and takes away its base of students. At least charter schools allow for different models to occur and the better one to win out. In district run public schools they are allowed to just stay $hit holes forever.
Wonkish1

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 12:58:02 AM »

Evidence? Because the Stanford study shows that across the board, that isn't the case.

Nope, false. Adrian Fenty was defeated in DC based on the issue (I still would have voted for him Gray though), charter schools don't work. I went to one. There is a total lack of accountability at charter schools and they're a dumping ground for right-wing dogma.

If you look at the list of the best innercity public schools the top of the list is dominated by charter schools. That is what I'm pointing out.

Not all charter schools are created equal, but the reason why they get better over time is because if a charter school isn't doing well they either get replaced by new control and a new model or another one comes in and takes away its base of students. At least charter schools allow for different models to occur and the better one to win out. In district run public schools they are allowed to just stay $hit holes forever.

There will always be exceptions to the general rule that charter schools are an awful idea.

Where is your evidence that they get better over time? Is there quantifiable data out there that proves this?

Well first of all I just showed you common sense. Are you really that obtuse? There have been numerous examples of underperforming charter schools being taken over and turned into a top performer. Top performers don't get taken out or replaced. So as time goes on and high quality charter schools stay and bad ones get replaced until they improve then across the board you'll see charter schools as a group out performing the traditional public schools that aren't knocked out and replaced when they are failing. Please show me where the hole in that logic is!
Wonkish1

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 01:11:33 AM »

The whole in your logic is that it's based on assumptions that are themselves based on anecdotal evidence, whereas the counterargument is based on objective data.

Actually they are based on actual evidence. The lists of the best innercity public schools are dominated by charter schools. That is a fact. It is also a fact that underperforming charter schools are replaced or lose the amount of students that want to enroll. Those are both objective pieces of information.

The Stanford study isn't showing the rate of improvement between the charter schools and the rate of improvement among traditional public schools. You have to admit that if one way outperforms the other on rate of improvement a static look at current numbers is meaningless. Hence why the Stanford study can be thrown out as a useful study.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies