Credit union membership by state
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:42:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Credit union membership by state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Do you bank at a credit union?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Credit union membership by state  (Read 3276 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2011, 06:50:50 AM »
« edited: May 24, 2012, 05:56:44 AM by greenforest32 »

I just found some interesting info: credit union membership as a percentage of state population.

All the data is as of September 2010 and is from the Credit Union National Association. Specifically, I got the data from their state fact sheets: http://www.cuna.org/download/factsheet/California.pdf

Just replace the state name in the above URL for the state you want and make sure to capitalize the first letter of the state name.

Data in ranked list:

Virginia - 85.7%
Alaska - 85.4%
Hawaii - 66.9%
Utah - 63.5%
Vermont - 47.5%
Maine - 46.4%
Michigan - 44.6%
Washington - 40.6%
Montana - 39.9%
Wisconsin - 39.9%
Oregon - 39.3%
Wyoming - 38.8%
Massachusetts - 37.4%
Indiana - 35.0%
New Hampshire - 35.0%
Idaho - 34.6%
North Carolina - 34.1%
New Mexico - 32.8%
Maryland - 31.2%
North Dakota - 31.2%
Iowa - 31.1%
Rhode Island - 30.9%
South Dakota - 30.6%
Texas - 30.3%
South Carolina - 29.9%
Colorado - 28.9%
Minnesota - 28.9%
Tennessee - 28.8%
Pennsylvania - 28.2%
Oklahoma - 27.8%
California - 26.5%
Louisiana - 26.3%
Connecticut - 24.8%
Florida - 24.7%
Alabama - 24.4%
Delaware - 24.3%
Arizona - 23.6%
Nebraska - 23.6%
Ohio - 23.1%
New York - 22.8%
Missouri - 22.6%
Illinois - 21.7%
West Virginia - 21.5%
Kansas - 21.3%
Mississippi - 18.7%
Georgia - 18.4%
Kentucky - 16.8%
Nevada - 14.8%
New Jersey - 12.8%
Arkansas - 11.0%

National Average - 29.8%
Also, District of Columbia - 65.2%

Data in shaded map:

Wonkish1

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:23 AM »

Any idea how they treat people like me who have banking relationships with many banks and credit unions?

A lot of people bank with more than one financial institution. So is it where you have most of your assets or if you bank at all with any credit union.

By the way, it isn't surprising that Virginia has the highest rate. Most of the best credit unions are based in Virginia. I personally bank with numerous credit unions from Virginia.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 09:08:18 AM »

Any idea how they treat people like me who have banking relationships with many banks and credit unions?

A lot of people bank with more than one financial institution. So is it where you have most of your assets or if you bank at all with any credit union.

By the way, it isn't surprising that Virginia has the highest rate. Most of the best credit unions are based in Virginia. I personally bank with numerous credit unions from Virginia.

I only posted data with credit union membership as a % of state population, they also have separate data on % market share of deposits rather than memberships. I'm not really sure how they handle people dealing with multiple institutions, probably their membership gets counted more than once?
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:13:08 AM »

Honestly shocked that even a quarter of Delaware's population belongs to a credit union.
Wonkish1

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:20:19 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2011, 09:22:23 AM by Wonkish1 »

I only posted data with credit union membership as a % of state population, they also have separate data on % market share of deposits rather than memberships. I'm not really sure how they handle people dealing with multiple institutions, probably their membership gets counted more than once?

People can be both credit union members and belong to a bank. So this could be counting people that mostly use the bank right? Just as long as they have a membership they get counted right?

I also hope they aren't counting based on the number of memberships at the institution and including that for the state of branch or headquarters location otherwise I've added a large number to the state of Virginia for example and I don't even live there.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:32:33 AM »

People can be both credit union members and belong to a bank. So this could be counting people that mostly use the bank right? Just as long as they have a membership they get counted right?

Most likely.
Wonkish1

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 09:45:48 AM »

By the way, I highly recommend PenFed for folks on here. They are a tough underwriter, but they are basically unbeatable on credit products today. Small donation to a veterans charity and your in even when your not in the military.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2011, 04:22:22 PM »

I also hope they aren't counting based on the number of memberships at the institution and including that for the state of branch or headquarters location otherwise I've added a large number to the state of Virginia for example and I don't even live there.

They probably are as it helps explain the huge percentage of members in Virginia, since the various credit unions used by the armed forces are mainly chartered there.
Wonkish1

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »

They probably are as it helps explain the huge percentage of members in Virginia, since the various credit unions used by the armed forces are mainly chartered there.

Yeah and its a who's who list of the biggest Credit Unions in the country by total assets.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:48:14 AM »

I didn't think very many people did, which I guess makes sense since I live in the state with the second lowest instance.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »

Canada's always had (comparatively) very high rates of credit union membership, partly due to Quebec, which is like the #1 user of credit unions or something.

I bank with a credit union
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »

Turns out our membership (46%) is only a tad above yours (44%) I had no idea! I thought Credit Unions was a Canadian thing.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 12:14:43 AM »

No shocker here.  Navy Federal and USAA are awesome for mortgages.  If you can get in, by all means do so.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 12:59:17 AM »

Turns out our membership (46%) is only a tad above yours (44%) I had no idea! I thought Credit Unions was a Canadian thing.

At least according to the data in this thread, credit unions are used by only 30% of Americans, so you were right that they're much more common in Canada.

Anyway, no credit union here, but I'm from New Jersey, so no surprise. Curious if there is any real explanation for the regional variances.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 01:31:23 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2011, 01:35:46 AM by bgwah »

They're definitely counting interstate credit unions' entire membership in their HQ's states, IMO.

The military unions for VA, Alaska Federal in AK...

Yeah, confirmed:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

link: http://www.vacul.org/about_us/index.php
Wonkish1

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 01:50:42 AM »
« Edited: December 01, 2011, 01:53:11 AM by Wonkish1 »

No shocker here.  Navy Federal and USAA are awesome for mortgages.  If you can get in, by all means do so.

I created a post saying something positive about PenFed too and it got deleted. I bet yours will too. Navy Federal might be the single best, but good luck getting in unless your currently in the military, retired military(full service or disability), or directly related to a member.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:45 AM »

Anyway, no credit union here, but I'm from New Jersey, so no surprise. Curious if there is any real explanation for the regional variances.

Considering how the New Jersey government was bought long ago by Commerce Bank, it's not much of a surprise that they're at the bottom (top?) of the list.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2011, 07:24:03 AM »
« Edited: December 03, 2011, 07:29:43 AM by greenforest32 »

Looks like total national membership hasn't changed much since 2010Q3:

"Credit Unions Add Members, Grow Assets, and Build Net Worth in Third Quarter"

http://www.ncua.gov/News/Pages/NW20111201Q3CRD.aspx

91.4 million members in 2011Q3 compared to about 91.5 million members in 2010Q3. 2011Q4 will probably see quite a bump though and I'll be eager to see the 2011 state membership figures.

Pretty sure Oregon and Washington will see an increase in penetration rates as there have been lots of increases in memberships and the Oregon/Washington credit union associations and foundations merged recently:

1. http://www.cutimes.com/2010/11/10/northwest-cu-association-finalized-more-mergers-to-come
2. http://www.cutimes.com/2011/11/06/northwest-foundation-merger-on-track

Washington's BECU is great. They're open to anybody who lives in Washington and it's the 4th largest credit union nationwide. Oregon doesn't have a statewide credit union like BECU Sad

The largest one here (OnPoint) needs to expand!
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 12:03:07 PM »

2011 numbers not bad, though I was expecting better

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-bank-fees-complaints-20120302,0,7970213.story

2012 might be good too:

Tidewater_Wave
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »

My grandmother used to have money for me in a credit union when I was 5 and I forgot what one was until I came here. My money is in bonds, banks, and blind trusts.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2012, 01:50:32 AM »

Pretty sure Oregon and Washington will see an increase in penetration rates as there have been lots of increases in memberships and the Oregon/Washington credit union associations and foundations merged recently:

1. http://www.cutimes.com/2010/11/10/northwest-cu-association-finalized-more-mergers-to-come
2. http://www.cutimes.com/2011/11/06/northwest-foundation-merger-on-track

Boomin~

Read more at http://www.cuna.org/newsnow/12/system031312-7.html
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 12:08:14 AM »

I wonder why CUs are so much more popular in WA than in OR.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 02:12:38 AM »

They're definitely counting interstate credit unions' entire membership in their HQ's states, IMO.

The military unions for VA, Alaska Federal in AK...

Yeah, confirmed:

link: http://www.vacul.org/about_us/index.php
yeah, considering 6.95 M is about a million more than VA's total adult population.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2012, 02:29:45 AM »

Well they are pretty close currently in terms of usage (~39% in OR vs ~41% in WA from 2010Q3) but I think Washington has a longer history with them than Oregon.

I do think having a statewide one (BECU) is an advantage in terms of advertising/raising awareness. We're due for some consolidation down here.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 12:31:01 AM »

Well they are pretty close currently in terms of usage (~39% in OR vs ~41% in WA from 2010Q3) but I think Washington has a longer history with them than Oregon.

I do think having a statewide one (BECU) is an advantage in terms of advertising/raising awareness. We're due for some consolidation down here.

I probably should've been more specific and asked why they grew so much more in WA last year. BECU probably helps. It's only in the Puget Sound area, though.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies