SENATE BILL: Empowering Regions in Federal Elections Amendment (sent to regions)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:23:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Empowering Regions in Federal Elections Amendment (sent to regions)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Empowering Regions in Federal Elections Amendment (sent to regions)  (Read 8371 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2011, 05:03:56 AM »
« edited: December 23, 2011, 03:18:49 AM by bgwah »

Empowering Regions in Federal Elections Amendment

1. A region's governing body shall have the authority to determine procedure for administration of voting and certification of election results for their own Class A Senate elections in the months of February, June, and October. A region's governing body shall also have the authority to administer voting and certification of election results for Presidential elections consistent with federal election law in the months of February, June, and October.

2. A region's governing body may determine the means of election to Class A Senate election.

3. To ensure a fair process of election, any alternative system of voting chosen by the region's governing body for Class A Senate elections must be conducted in public, on-site, and may not disqualify any candidate meeting the qualifications set in the Constitution.

4. If a region fails to open a vote for their Senator and President within 12 hours of when polls must open, a Federal Officer of the Executive Branch shall open the vote on behalf of the region.[/quote]

Sponsors: Marokai, Duke

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 05:54:08 AM »
« Edited: November 25, 2011, 05:30:09 PM by Kallvaid »

Sorry, wrong thread, wrong bill...

Please disregard my motion.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »

Class A Senate seats are supposed to represent the interests of each region in the Senate, as such I don't consider it that much of stretch to have the regions determine the exact method of how they are selected.

I oppose the motion to table this.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »

This is a slightly amended version of the version Jbrase proposed a couple months or so back. Designed in such a way as to incorporate Senator Napoleon's concerns on the previous Amendment. If his idea is the only way this overall proposal passed, then sure! Why not! The goal of allowing regions more control over their Senators is worth the stretch.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 09:29:34 PM »

I really like having Senate elections in the same thread as President...
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 09:30:44 PM »

Oh, this looks like a number of proposals that have been kicked around through the years. I think that I might have written part of this one, although I may be mistaken. It's still as good an idea as ever.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:55 AM »

again, certification of results implies the calculation of preferential votes and declaring a winner.  if each region does this, there will need to be a way to decide what happens when different candidates win different regions.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 12:51:37 AM »

again, certification of results implies the calculation of preferential votes and declaring a winner.  if each region does this, there will need to be a way to decide what happens when different candidates win different regions.

I continue to not really comprehend what you're saying in yet another thread, here. The vote totals can just be added up nationally, counting from each regional thread. Sure, it would certainly be more efficient if we just changed the system entirely into some sort of electoral-college-y system, since counting presidential votes on the regional level is a retarded make-work half-step, but it was the only way two people would support the damn thing last time, so it was the only way this overall plan was going anywhere.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 01:08:41 AM »

I continue to not really comprehend what you're saying in yet another thread, here. The vote totals can just be added up nationally, counting from each regional thread. Sure, it would certainly be more efficient if we just changed the system entirely into some sort of electoral-college-y system, since counting presidential votes on the regional level is a retarded make-work half-step, but it was the only way two people would support the damn thing last time, so it was the only way this overall plan was going anywhere.

I don't think that IRV allows for such a thing, or at least its not clear how the national total would be calculated once every region has done its IRV. And if each region has not done its own IRV, then there's really no sense it which the result could be certified by each region.

Think for a second here about how votes are "counted" in IRV.  It's not simple addition. There's nothing at all useful gained by adding the numbers from different regions under the current system. What you need to know is who *each* person preferenced in what order.  There is no raw vote total that can be just passed on from the region to the nation.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 03:43:06 AM »

This addresses my concerns from the last time we debated this. I'm eager to support this amendment.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 06:37:12 AM »

I don't like having five separate voting booths for President at all. I want it all in the same thread!!! Angry
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2011, 01:45:03 PM »

I think this bill will be good for regional activity at the local level. So far, it seems like the regions are removed from the entire process altogether, so I hope the senate and the President considers this.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »

I think this bill will be good for regional activity at the local level. So far, it seems like the regions are removed from the entire process altogether, so I hope the senate and the President considers this.

So you want federal elections to looks like one of the recent IDS regional elections in which only three people did vote (and you weren't one of those three?)

It will be a mess. I mean, we're voting on ratifying one constitutional amendment right now and two regions (cough, Archangel, cough Snowstalker) are yet to open their damn booths.

At current stage I really don't want to handle this to the regional officials. We have Department of Federal Election which is doing a superb work.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »

So you want federal elections to looks like one of the recent IDS regional elections in which only three people did vote (and you weren't one of those three?)

It will be a mess. I mean, we're voting on ratifying one constitutional amendment right now and two regions (cough, Archangel, cough Snowstalker) are yet to open their damn booths.

At current stage I really don't want to handle this to the regional officials. We have Department of Federal Election which is doing a superb work.

Snowstalker opens the booths on time...

Having the Presidential election on the ballot will ensure maximum turnout and carry over to downballot elections too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 03:59:55 PM »

This will not change anything. People who are inactive and are coming here just to vote will still do the same, whether it's regionally-maintained or federally-maintained booth.

This bill is, IMO, a waste of time.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 04:02:21 PM »

Snowstalker opens the booths on time...

Having the Presidential election on the ballot will ensure maximum turnout and carry over to downballot elections too.

...Maybe Snowstalker does. But I seem to recall RowanBrandon not opening the voting booth and resigning when confronted about it.

I'm confident this will end up being a disaster. And I don't think it's fair to have regions voting for President at different times.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 04:15:59 PM »

I don't get why regions can't set up their voting threads on Thursday and having all voting start at midnight on Friday.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2011, 04:23:05 PM »

This will not change anything. People who are inactive and are coming here just to vote will still do the same, whether it's regionally-maintained or federally-maintained booth.

That concern is not meant to be addressed by this amendment. Let's consider what this amendment changes, not external factors that are unrelated.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

I offer an amendment to remove "and certification of election results" from section 1.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 04:59:05 PM »

I don't get why regions can't set up their voting threads on Thursday and having all voting start at midnight on Friday.

I don't understand why everyone can't having voting booths up. I had a perfect record when I ran the Pacific. But even the federal booths are late sometimes.

Mistakes happen.

What about the time the voting booth was mysteriously deleted? Just imagine only one voting booth being deleted. Maybe the Governor didn't like the result, or just wanted to cause chaos for fun. What would happen then? That regions gets to re-vote a week after everyone else?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »

It'd be better to have an issue like that contained to one region than all five together.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2011, 05:39:00 PM »

I just don't think it's fair to let one region know ahead of time that they get to decide an election.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2011, 07:22:38 PM »

This Amendment goes far beyond just that one change. Though, at this point, this very obviously isn't going to pass whether it's written to cater to Napoleon or written to cater to everybody else.

I offer an amendment to remove "and certification of election results" from section 1.

Friendly. No problem with that.

I don't understand why everyone can't having voting booths up. I had a perfect record when I ran the Pacific. But even the federal booths are late sometimes.

Mistakes happen.

What about the time the voting booth was mysteriously deleted? Just imagine only one voting booth being deleted. Maybe the Governor didn't like the result, or just wanted to cause chaos for fun. What would happen then? That regions gets to re-vote a week after everyone else?

That's an odd problem to lay against this one proposal. Would that actually happened? I seriously doubt it.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2011, 08:35:07 PM »

I just don't think it's fair to let one region know ahead of time that they get to decide an election.

If the election is close, people will be fishing for as many votes as they can in any region. I really doubt this one in a million event is concerning enough to outweigh the turnout benefits regional elections will get from sharing a ballot with federal elections, or trumps the region's desire to elect its Senator differently.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2011, 08:41:24 PM »

We had more than 3 people vote in the most recent IDS election...

But yes, I don't understand why people are so afraid of having regions administer the voting booths for federal elections. We can still have the SoFA certify the results, as I am sure Teddy will continue to want to do. This bill isn't anymore useless than one of your VP bills, Kal, which I ended up supporting, so I am not sure why you are so concerned about this one.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies