Southern Black Democrats Lose Clout in Republican South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:20:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Southern Black Democrats Lose Clout in Republican South
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern Black Democrats Lose Clout in Republican South  (Read 3425 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 25, 2011, 01:27:34 PM »

I don't know why I didn't post this last week, but I am posting it now:

Report: Southern black Democrats lose clout with rise of GOP-controlled state legislatures

By Associated Press, Published: November 18

ATLANTA — Black lawmakers have lost clout in Southern state capitols as their overwhelming allegiance to the Democratic Party has left them without power in increasingly GOP-controlled state legislatures.

The nonpartisan Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies says in a report issued Friday that despite Barack Obama’s election as president, black voters and elected officials in the South have less influence now than at any time since the civil rights era.

“Since conservative whites control all the power in the region, they are enacting legislation both neglectful of the needs of African Americans and other communities of color ...” writes senior research associate David Bositis in a paper titled “Resegregation in Southern Politics?” The Washington-based think tank conducts research and policy analysis, particularly on issues that affect blacks and people of color.

Bositis points out state legislatures are increasingly divided along racial lines — making Republican synonymous with whites and Democrat and black interchangeable. According to the report, a majority of Democrats in both chambers in Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi are black. In half of the southern state legislative chambers, blacks are a majority or near-majority of Democratic members.

“This begs the question, ‘what is the purpose of having a legislative black caucus when the majority of members in your legislative body are black?’” the report says.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »

My hope is that all the blacks in the deep south can move to CA where their votes will count.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »

Legislative white Democrat caucus coming up soon?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 01:54:03 PM »

Well, in Mississippi people literally vote along racial lines, so this shouldn't be a surprise. There are still a few white liberals who vote Democratic, but most Democrats vote Republican without changing registration. Just saw that in LA and MS gubernatorials. Hell, LA is still plurality-Democratic in registration.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2011, 02:14:36 PM »

My hope is that all the blacks in the deep south can move to CA where their votes will count.

What is it with all the robotic posters here these days?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2011, 02:48:14 PM »

Uh, nobody's vote counts in CA.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 05:14:41 PM »

Aren't there still any old time Zell Miler and Bob Graham Dems still around?

And from what I recall LA, AL, and NC among others still have a number of white moderate to conservative Democrats still around, both in the legislature and statewide offices.
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 06:51:53 PM »

lol
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:50:49 PM »

And from what I recall LA, AL, and NC among others still have a number of white moderate to conservative Democrats still around, both in the legislature and statewide offices.

They have been pretty much wiped out at the statewide level.  There are a few left in Louisiana, but in Alabama and North Carolina, they were wiped out in 2010. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 10:31:16 PM »

They have been pretty much wiped out at the statewide level.  There are a few left in Louisiana, but in Alabama and North Carolina, they were wiped out in 2010. 

A lot of white Democrats in Louisiana's state legislature switched parties to be treated favorably during last year's redistricting. Many of those who didn't switch lost reelection because of the new districts. Most of the ones who held on did so because they were placed in a majority-black district that will elect a black Democrat whenever the current white incumbent retires.

So I think you could say that they're mostly wiped out in Louisiana, as well.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 10:35:20 PM »

A lot of white Democrats in Louisiana's state legislature switched parties to be treated favorably during last year's redistricting. Many of those who didn't switch lost reelection because of the new districts. Most of the ones who held on did so because they were placed in a majority-black district that will elect a black Democrat whenever the current white incumbent retires.

And that's all Obama's fault, right?
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:02:12 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2011, 07:02:08 AM by smoltchanov »

As far as i know - that's not true. I can remember exatly 2 Democrats defeated in the last legislative  elections of 2011 in Louisiana, and both (Jackson in SD-39 and Hardee in HD-44) were black, who lost to another blacks. A couple of white Democrats (Reynolds and Ortego) even won republican-leaning seats in House. According to my preliminary count - of 15 Democrats in state Senate 9 are black and 6 are white (2 of which are relatively conservative whites from black-majority districts, but both serve only second terms, so term limits will not get them until 2019), in House - 23 black and 22 white with 4-5 whites being elected from black-majority districts. So, while percentage of blacks in legislative Democratic caucus will, undoubtely, increase, it's still too early to say that "whites are wiped out" there. After elections of 2015 and, 2019 - may be... A substantial number of "white old guard" will be term-limited then.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2011, 09:50:02 AM »

Considering how they're an overwhelming majority of Democratic voters in the South, that's a surprisingly small number of blacks.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 03:09:01 AM »

Blacks are extremely concentrated in their black-majority districts, and, with some relatively rare exceptions, don't win in other districts. On the contrary - at least 2 out of 6 white Democratic state Senators in Louisiana win in black-majority districts (and at least 4-5 in House too). Add to this conservative white Democrats still able to win in at least some very Republicn (in essence) districts - and no surprises here. Though black's percentage of Democratic caucus will, undobtely, rise in the future...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 09:32:21 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2011, 09:48:44 AM by Staff Sergeant Sean Dignam »

In a time when black people no longer have rights.
In a time when white power reigns supreme.
In a time when the rule of the lynch mob is returned.
In a time when Republican rule is a way of life and voting rights are for the ultra rich and the white.
In a time..........called 2018!

Rated R for Racist!

Coming soon to a theater near you!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2011, 10:26:50 AM »

Considering how they're an overwhelming majority of Democratic voters in the South, that's a surprisingly small number of blacks.

They're not an overwhelming majority of Democratic votes. Ok, maybe in MS in Presidential contests. Other than that, your statement is not true at all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies