NH Union Leader endorses Newt (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:19:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  NH Union Leader endorses Newt (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NH Union Leader endorses Newt  (Read 6314 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: November 26, 2011, 03:46:05 PM »

That would be the dumbest move ever. Perry isn't competent enough to win the primary or the general. Maybe his staff is with raising money and such, but when he talks it usually only hurts him. And not just "ops" try all the debates or that insane New Hampshire drunken speech.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 05:14:18 PM »

This could be a strategic move to help divide the conservatives enough to ensure a Romney victory. Romney is probably close to his ceiling anyways, so a Perry endorsement could bring some undecideds to him that would otherwise go with Gingrich.

A strategic move by whom?
The NH Union Leader.

They don't like Romney though.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 01:36:17 PM »

The end is near for Willard Mitt Romney.

If Newt does wins Iowa, and does well in NH, then it is all over for Mitt. He will not win SC, and Newt may have enough momentum to pull a close one out in FL.

^

Or even worse, win FL with a comfortable margin. And if by some means he wins NH then it obviously is over right there. But I'm still skeptical. At least this may allow for him to not get blown out of the water in NH even if he's coming in second.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 03:13:45 PM »

Yeah, on some level, I just can't shake my skepticism of all this.  Throughout the summer and fall, the GOP has been casting about for the "anti-Romney."  First it was Bachman, then Perry, then Cain; one by one they fell from grace as it was discovered why each were bad candidates.  This will also happen to Gingrich.  More than anything, the GOP wants to take back the White House, not just posture, and the only candidate who has consistently polled even with Obama has been Mitt, and because Mitt has done his groundwork in the last four years, he is drawing the lion's share of establishment support and money.  And, despite all the criticism of Romney's flip-flopping, he has managed to position himself in a very interesting way, taking centrist stances on lots of issues in prep for the general, but harder lines on tax reform and immigration for the nomination, and on the latter issue a harder line than some of his supposedly more conservative rivals.  Gingrich has been out of power for more than a decade, has his own flip-flop issues, has articulated positions lately that are likely to alienate the conservatives he has to court, and is incredibly undisciplined and gaffe-prone.  He is just all-around a much spookier, and more hostile, general election candidate than Romney is.  One paper's endorsement doesn't change any of that.  It's the sudden, flash in the pan, support for Gingrich that strikes me as an inch deep, not Romney's.   I'm sure my own biases are showing in this assessment, of course, so, JMO.  But if I were on the Obama campaign staff, I'd rest a lot easier with a Gingrich nomination than with a Romney nomination, for lots and lots of reasons.

American voters are lazy, and still haven't even begun to look at the candidates. Even republicans are barely beginning to learn the names of the candidates. Look at McCain's opposition research on Romney, it is far worse than anything Gingrich has ever flipped on. And Newt can strive that he was bi-partisan while Obama is responsible for today's partisan politics. If the candidates drop out and endorse him as the race goes on, he'll have no trouble winning against Romney since the field won't be split of the anti-Romney. With that he can satisfy the conservative base and reach out to moderates and independents on positions like illegal immigration. He's much more articulate than Romney and does better in the debates. Romney does have a better staff and fundraising ability though. But then again, he's had some week quarters for being the anointed frontrunner, Mitt Romney, and the guy who's been running for 5 years. Gingrich has been out of power for a decade, but that doesn't mean he hasn't been active. He's sat on every commission possible in that time and managed his own Newt enterprise which was extremely successful. Voters right now are getting to know Newt again, he still is building a staff and JUST laying the groundwork for networks of volunteers and money sources yet still in the lead. He had a slow rise in the polls which suggests the committed part of his base and then added that huge bump to overtake Cain and Romney. If he can solidify those wavy voters, he'll be good. He only goes up from here. He can absolutely still collapse, but this isn't a flair like a radical crazy Bachmann or anything that just appeared so everyone flocked to her because they had no idea who she was, just NOT Romney.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies