Really think Gingrich is a good candidate to face Obama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:10:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Really think Gingrich is a good candidate to face Obama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Really think Gingrich is a good candidate to face Obama?  (Read 1289 times)
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2011, 12:47:34 AM »

Come on...lol, enough said
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »

Can he hold his own in a debate: Yes
Can he win an election: Only under Depression like circumstances.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2011, 09:05:16 AM by Badger »

How about under lingering Great Recession circumstances? That's what we'll almost surely be facing...

The answer is, yes, there are other candidates more palatable to swing voters, but since the GOP isn't about to nominate Huntsman, but Gingrich still could win by passing the "credibility" threshold by a few hairs and running with the bad economy as his de facto running mate.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:28:22 AM »

How about under lingering Great Recession circumstances? That's what we'll almost surely be facing...

The answer is, yes, there are other candidates more palatable to swing voters, but since the GOP isn't about to nominate Huntsman, but Gingrich still could win by passing the "credibility" threshold by a few hairs and running with the bad economy as his de facto running mate.

I do agree with you. I think a Gingrich v. Obama race will be close no matter what, but I think the edge goes to Obama. Now maybe I'm wrong, there have been instances where the candidate everyone thought would lose, or deemed unelectable won. 2012 is not an ordinary election year, so I don't think it's over yet; in terms of shakeups and surprises.

I do believe Gingrich is the last of the "Anti-Romney" candidates and will be the conservative challenger to him going forward.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »

To the author of the thread- how about putting some ideas forward as to why you believe what you believe rather then wasting my time with the "enough said" sh**t
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:01 AM »

To the author of the thread- how about putting some ideas forward as to why you believe what you believe rather then wasting my time with the "enough said" sh**t
For starters

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich#Ethics_sanctions

And while I don't think the following matters should play any role in a political contest, there are huge numbers of people who do care:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich#Personal_life

And all of that is before you get to the actual policy positions of the GOP, which poll after poll shows are not in line with public opinion.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »

Where Gingrich is sort of strong, President Obama is stronger. The personal life is not going to look so great for Newt, and the negative ads practically write themselves.

Most significance will be the weaknesses of Newt Gingrich as a campaigner: he has no experience running for anything larger than a Congressional district. He has never been a cabinet officer, he has never been a VP, and he has never been a high-ranking military officer. He has yet to show that his vanity will not cause him to believe that he has a special pull in Pennsylvania because he was born there despite polls showing the opposite. He has yet to show that he can manage the resources that a successful campaign not only must collect but must also disburse wisely.

The one certainty is that the Democrats will be running the slickest campaigner since at least Ronald Reagan, and that the Republicans have at worst the George McGovern of the Right and at best maybe the new Thomas E. Dewey.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »

One thing about Obama is that he is completely scandal-free. His administration is the most scandal-free in my lifetime. (Even the Carter administration had the Bert Lance stuff.)

Running complete sleazebags against a scandal-free President isn't how you win elections.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »

For starters

And while I don't think the following matters should play any role in a political contest, there are huge numbers of people who do care:

And all of that is before you get to the actual policy positions of the GOP, which poll after poll shows are not in line with public opinion.

I respect your post for putting actual points forward...the author was simply being a wise guy who contributed nothing to the discussion
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2011, 12:54:57 PM by memphis »

For starters

I respect your post for putting actual points forward...the author was simply being a wise guy who contributed nothing to the discussion

Just an FYI. The Forum is full of a lot of smarty pants, who think that a lot of things are so obvious, they don't need to be said explicitly. This was one of those cases.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies