Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 06:37:47 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  Congressional Elections (Moderator: Joe Republic)
| | |-+  Barney Frank to retire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Barney Frank to retire  (Read 2789 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -2.61

View Profile
« on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:03 am »
Ignore

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2011/11/28/frank_will_not_run_again.html

Yup.
All In For KC
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:52 am »
Ignore

Well at least something good will come from this election cycle.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
krazen1211
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:08:40 am »
Ignore

Didn't some western Massachusetts guy want to preserve the Olver district so he can run it in?

Whoops.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 10:13:21 am »
Ignore

He's over 70 and has been a congresscritter for three decades, so, you know.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:36:28 am »
Ignore

Disagreed with him about everything but always respected his willingness to step into the ring and fight for his beliefs

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:41:11 am »
Ignore

Didn't some western Massachusetts guy want to preserve the Olver district so he can run it in?

Whoops.

There was no way to preserve two districts west of Worcester with current population trends, with or without Olver. Stanley Rosenberg acknowledged that when they unveiled the map.
memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
Ignore

Sort of the Jesse Jackson of gay people. Done a lot of good. Didn't always set a good example though. All in all, FF. Prolly time for somebody new anyway. Or maybe they can just magically fix the lines and not get anybody new. Whatev.

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:04:47 pm »
Ignore

Goodbye to a true FF.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »
Ignore

Hmmm, good guy but I was expecting him to be a Congressman-for-life.

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:23 pm »
Ignore

Congressman Mark Pacheco, I guess?

cinyc
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 02:02:41 pm »
Ignore

Whoops.

There was no way to preserve two districts west of Worcester with current population trends, with or without Olver. Stanley Rosenberg acknowledged that when they unveiled the map.

Is that map final or can they redraw the Boston-area seats to make more geographic sense and give New Bedford and Fall River their own district without almost stretching to Boston?
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:10:40 pm »
Ignore

Is that map final or can they redraw the Boston-area seats to make more geographic sense and give New Bedford and Fall River their own district without almost stretching to Boston?

The map is final. New Bedford was put in with the Cape and Islands in the current configuration, which makes sense, even if the 4th as otherwise conceived is still off.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 02:14:51 pm »
Ignore

Good riddance.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 02:45:05 pm »
Ignore

Farewell, Congressman.

My favorite memory of him.
nclib
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 10:24:57 pm »
Ignore

Barney Frank has been great. One of the best in Congress. I am sorry to see him leave, but I wish him the best in retirement.

[George W. Bush] has shattered the myth of white supremacy once and for all. -- Congressman Charles Rangel (D-NY)

"George Bush supports abstinence. Lucky Laura."
- sign seen at the March for Women's Lives, 4/25/04

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:47:11 pm »
Ignore

Goodbye to a true FF.

Joe Republic
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 11:19:50 pm »

On the GOP caucus in the House:  "It consists half of people who think like Michele Bachmann and half of people who are afraid of losing a primary to people who think like Michele Bachmann."

FF

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 11:22:40 pm »
Ignore

Did he really think he couldn't win?

Kevin
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 11:25:44 pm »
Ignore

Glad this hypocritical POS wouldn't be around for another term. The House and Washington politics overall will be a better place without him.

Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 11:40:40 pm »
Ignore

In honor of Barney Frank, let me type up a few paragraphs about him from a book I'm currently reading (The Promise by Johnathan Alter). This exchange happened on September 25, 2008, immediately after the impromptu "summit" that McCain had requested, when Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson approached the Democrats and begged them not to oppose the deal.

Barney Frank muscled his way past Harry Reid and started yelling. "F-ck you, Hank! F-ck you! Blow up this deal? We didn't blow up this deal! Your guys blew up this deal! You better tell Bachus and the rest of them to get their sh-t together!" When Paulson tried to equivocate, Frank threw in another "F-ck you, Hank!" - his third of the day.

Everyone knew Frank had a temper, but no one had seen anything like this. For a moment it struck Robert Gibbs and Jim Manley that this little scene really could get physical: the pudgy congressman versus the gawky treasury secretary, right here in the White House. As a former Dartmouth football player, Paulson was the favorite, but maybe Frank had a shot.

The only person standing between Frank and Paulson was Barack Obama, who bent his arms and spread his palms to keep the two men apart. "Okay, guys," Obama said, like a teacher preventing a playground brawl.

But Frank wasn't about to back down. "Your problem is with the Republicans who want to torpedo this, not us!" he yelled. You go back and tell the president his problem is with his own f-cking party!"

Love him or hate him, that guy had some balls of steel.

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

redcommander
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 02:23:12 am »
Ignore

R+1.
smoltchanov
YaBB God
Russian Federation
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 03:13:57 am »
Ignore

Farewell, excellent congressman! I would like to see more original and brainy people like him instead of "loyal party soldiers" (despite the fact that Frank was always a very liberal Democrat - he always came to his conclusions independent of what other had to say)

Raging moderate. Big fan of "mavericks" (in all parties) and big non-lover of "reliable foot soldiers" (in all parties as well). Very much "anti-tea party". Political Matrix - E: -0.26, S: -3.48
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2011, 08:47:58 am »
Ignore

Barney Frank muscled his way past Harry Reid and started yelling. "F-ck you, Hank! F-ck you! Blow up this deal? We didn't blow up this deal! Your guys blew up this deal! You better tell Bachus and the rest of them to get their sh-t together!" When Paulson tried to equivocate, Frank threw in another "F-ck you, Hank!" - his third of the day.

Everyone knew Frank had a temper, but no one had seen anything like this. For a moment it struck Robert Gibbs and Jim Manley that this little scene really could get physical: the pudgy congressman versus the gawky treasury secretary, right here in the White House. As a former Dartmouth football player, Paulson was the favorite, but maybe Frank had a shot.

The only person standing between Frank and Paulson was Barack Obama, who bent his arms and spread his palms to keep the two men apart. "Okay, guys," Obama said, like a teacher preventing a playground brawl.

But Frank wasn't about to back down. "Your problem is with the Republicans who want to torpedo this, not us!" he yelled. You go back and tell the president his problem is with his own f-cking party!"

Appropriate surname, no?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
nkpatel1279
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2011, 09:00:42 am »
Ignore

Frank should cohost a MSNBC tv show with Armey.
Badger
badger
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2011, 11:18:14 am »
Ignore

Well at least something good will come from this election cycle.

Good riddance.

Glad this hypocritical POS wouldn't be around for another term. The House and Washington politics overall will be a better place without him.

Any particular reason, gentlemen?

Your self-serving slacktivism is propelling America to new heights.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout