Barney Frank to retire (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:15:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Barney Frank to retire (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Barney Frank to retire  (Read 6830 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 28, 2011, 01:17:23 PM »

Congressman Mark Pacheco, I guess?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 03:54:22 PM »

Looks like State Sen. Richard Ross may get in on the GOP side. State Rep. Dan Winslow said he won't run, though I presume he'd be the favorite for Ross's open seat.

For anyone who cares, the new district cuts Patrick's percentage from about 49% down to 45%. All the new towns added to the district are GOP strongholds (comparatively).
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 04:56:48 PM »

I don't think he was being serious. Even still, this area of the state actually has a solid GOP base, and there's no shortage of decent contenders on the GOP side. This should be about as competitive as MA-10 last year.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 07:51:22 PM »

Glad this hypocritical POS wouldn't be around for another term.

You can disagree with his politics, you can hate his politics, but if you're calling him a hypocrite, then you should sit down for a moment with your dictionary before embarrassing yourself again on the internet, kiddo.

Anyone who got anywhere in politics is a hypocrite on one level or another. There's nothing special about Frank in that regard.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 08:51:22 AM »

This retirement here creates a tough choice for Bristol County Sheriff Thomas Hodgson (R), who is rumored to be interest in running for congress in 2012. He doesn't technically live in the district -- he lives in the part of the county given to Keating's 9th. But there's better overlap between Bristol and the 4th.

He says he's leaning towards challenging Keating but considering this race as well, so take that FWIW. We could have three absolutely fantastic House races in Massachusetts next year, something last seen in 1996.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 10:27:43 AM »

A Joe Arpaio-style Republican would do even worse than usual for his party at the northern end of the district, though.

I'd surmise that the GOP has a much better shot of holding the seat by playing to the middle of the district, not the two pieces of the district that Patrick won. Brookline and Newton are not where this election will be won and lost. It'll be won and lost in places like Taunton.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:14:05 PM »

Would we agree that you need a decent Republican environment for a Republican to win, with some comfortable upper middle class people turning their backs on the Dems? If so, that means lots of wealthy moderates in Needham, Newton, and Brookline who otherwise vote Democratic, voting for a Republican they consider safe. The Republican doesn't have to win that part of the district or come close, but he needs a) to get some votes there and, more importantly, b) not anger people so much that they come out in force against him.

You need a Mitt Romney or a Scott Brown, not someone who unabashedly plays wedge issues.

Obviously, for the GOP to pick up the seat, they need someone who can win over Democrats. But in Massachusetts, the Democrats who do turn their backs and vote for Republicans are not the wealthy moderates in Brookline you're describing. They're solid, urban Democrats. Largely immovable.

When I've looked at in-depth polling as part of Mass GOP campaigns, the only lean-Dem voters that the GOP has a shot of moving are the more conservative, blue collar ones in towns like Taunton. Picking Richard Ross over Hodgson might get the GOP an extra 5,000 votes total in Brookline, Newton, and Wellesley. At the same time, though, I'd expect Hodgson to be able to make those 5,000 votes up in Bristol.

By the numbers, I really do think Hodgson v. Pacheco is a better shot for the GOP than Ross v. Pacheco, even if Ross performs better north of Bristol.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies