anyone heard this argument before
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:47:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  anyone heard this argument before
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: anyone heard this argument before  (Read 1586 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2012, 07:12:34 PM »

I've met plenty of fundies before and argued with them. One thing I've heard them say is that the point of the separation of church and state is to keep the state out of the church not the church out of the state.

Anyone heard this argument before? What's your view on it?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 07:29:46 PM »

Yes I have.  I'm not a fundamentalist, but I wholeheartedly agree with it.  One of the reasons why religion has thrived here in the States even as it has precipitously declined in Europe is that our churches are not state sponsored.  The pastors and denominations can't count on getting paid via taxes but actually have to make what they say relevant to the laity.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »

The point for the Jeffersonian idea of separation was that neither interferred with the other. Not one gets priority over the other like both sides might argue. Church stays out of government matters, government stays out of church matters. No established churches, no taxes going to churches, no government controlling who gets what religious job, no church saying who gets what political job, etc.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »

I generally agree with Cathcon, but I think it's important to distinguish between Church and God. While Church and State may be separate to make sure neither entity interferes in the administration of the other, I don't believe anyone ever intended God to be precluded from government.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:34:49 PM »

I generally agree with Cathcon, but I think it's important to distinguish between Church and God. While Church and State may be separate to make sure neither entity interferes in the administration of the other, I don't believe anyone ever intended God to be precluded from government.

Well, no. We want folks to vote and govern according to their beliefs and core values. The way this works in America means that we come late to much-needed change sometimes, but on the whole I'd say it's been immensely good for us as a polity and a people.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »

I've met plenty of fundies before and argued with them. One thing I've heard them say is that the point of the separation of church and state is to keep the state out of the church not the church out of the state.

Anyone heard this argument before? What's your view on it?
It sounds like a nonsense statement. You can't have the church be part of the state and have the state be kept out of the church.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 03:00:42 PM »

It makes a lot of sense.  Try to imagine Congress confirming the appointment of Bishops of the United American Church.  Or Congressmen trying to weasel themselves a nice cushy bishopric as a retirement sinecure.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »

It makes a lot of sense.  Try to imagine Congress confirming the appointment of Bishops of the United American Church.  Or Congressmen trying to weasel themselves a nice cushy bishopric as a retirement sinecure.

Which is exactly what would happen. Because it would be America.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 10:24:30 PM »

Were I a Congressman, I'd definitely go for the latter.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies