Rick Perry vs. Admiral Stockdale -- Who is the worse debater?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:38:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Rick Perry vs. Admiral Stockdale -- Who is the worse debater?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is the worse debater?
Perry

Stockdale

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Rick Perry vs. Admiral Stockdale -- Who is the worse debater?  (Read 1172 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 30, 2011, 08:09:55 PM »

Stockdale vs. Perry.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 09:32:28 PM »

Difference between Stockdale and Perry is that the first was actually a brilliant man and true hero, but definitively did not fit into politics. The second, on the other hand, is an idiot who doesn't know his limits.

I mean, Perry's a professional politician for decades. You can excuse an uncomfortable newbie, but... geez, I'll stop right now because I don't want to be infracted for profanity.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 10:33:33 PM »

Stockdale was the perfect example of a bright, heroic man who just didn't fit into politics. Put simply, it's hard to speak of his traumatic history in a fast, straightforward way.

Perry is just a dumb.

Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:26:02 AM »

As far as I know Admiral Stockdale only floundered one election, and that was against members of different parties. Perry can't hold his own on subjects he should know about.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 03:49:25 PM »

I laughed
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 07:40:46 AM »

Perry.

I think there is a considerable difference between stumbling over words as Stockdale did and not remembering what federal agencies you want to abolish. Whereas Stockdale's problem seemed to be that he was a weak rhetorician, Perry demonstrated that he lacks the necessary substance to be President.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 09:45:07 AM »

Stockdale was not a good debater.  He was a very intelligent and impressive man who (as many high ranking officers that aren't made-for-TV Generals like Petraeus) wasn't too good at expressing himself to a civilian audience.

Perry is not a good debater, and has refused all challenges to debates in his 2006 and 2010 runs for Governor of Texas against some incredibly bright people (either Strayhorn or Hutchison would've eaten him alive, and Bill White's no slouch either), and has coasted on a ridiculously-media driven narrative about himself that has no basis in reality, and when finally confronted on it collapsed like the empty suit he was.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 12:00:28 PM »

how am I the only Stockdale voter?  I think I know why, actually, as hating on Perry is in the fashion, but if we're to attempt to be objective...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 12:11:03 PM »

how am I the only Stockdale voter?  I think I know why, actually, as hating on Perry is in the fashion, but if we're to attempt to be objective...

We're talking about a professional politician, in office for decades. Expectations are a little higher than for political newbie, like Stockdale.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 12:17:59 PM »

We're talking about a professional politician, in office for decades. Expectations are a little higher than for political newbie, like Stockdale.

I see nothing in the OP indicating that we're expected to control for such factors.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies