Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:45:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is the most absurd objective proposed by Newt Gingrich?
Putting mirrors in outerspace to light highways

Colonizing the moon for resources such as moon rocks

Repealing child labor laws so children can spend time in school being janitors rather than learning

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 81

Author Topic: Why Gingrich is Bad (and Romney is Awesome): A Politico Megathread Spectacular  (Read 40002 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

« on: December 03, 2011, 12:20:49 PM »

Does jmfcst's quasi-endorsement of Newt make anyone else more skeptical of the former Speaker's chances?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:50 AM »

First, this seems like a strange issue for Romney to pick up on. Didn't Republicans choose to stop talking about the Ryan plan because it terrifies seniors?

Second, I don't think that Romney has ever seemed more unlikable than he has over the past two weeks, and the overblown attack ads haven't helped. Will Romney will blow the nomination through the mistakes of his own campaign?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 12:57:42 PM »

It isn't strange to pick up on the one issue where Romney has been on Gingrich's right for a while now. As to the second point, how's it overblown? There's no exaggeration in that spot.

1. First, Romney is marginally to the right of Gingrich on immigration. Second, Gingrich said something dumb and quickly backtracked from it. To my knowledge, his current position isn't any less conservative than Romney's. Regardless, I don't think that there are many substantive differences of opinion on policy between Gingrich and Romney. (In fact, one of the interesting feature's of Newt's rise is that he's managed to do so on a platform that is so similar to Romney's.)

2. Most attack ads are overblown; that's how they work. In this case, the use of music alone is enough to merit that label. More importantly, the purpose of the ad is to bring up the most embarassing moment of the Gingrich campaign, despite the fact that it happened over six months ago and without mentioning that Gingrich has retreated from and apologized for the remarks he made on Meet the Press.  Also, consider this statement from the conference call:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 02:40:39 PM »

From what I know, Scozzafava was actually generally pro-gun.

Yes, emphatically so. No one could get elected in her assembly district (in which I lived) without being adamantly pro-gun rights. In fact, the NRA endorsed her over Hoffman.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 02:49:45 PM »

Romney supporters [i.e. Politico]: Are you comfortable supporting a candidate whose favorite book is L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield Earth?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »

Ever notice how Democrats, on television or in the streets or even on here, are pretty much quiet about Gingrich?

No, both Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi have made highly-covered comments about Gingrich.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 12:47:43 AM »

Ever notice how Democrats, on television or in the streets or even on here, are pretty much quiet about Gingrich?

No, both Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi have made highly-covered comments about Gingrich.

Higher powers shut them up about it rather quickly, and I don't blame them one bit.

"Higher powers"?
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 10:58:53 PM »

Anyone but Gingirch winning in Iowa actually benefits Romney,

Disagree - then again, I've always doubted the potency of the Gingrich campaign. Romney would probably prefer that Paul or Bachmann takes the caucuses, but Santorum or Perry winning Iowa could make the campaign more difficult for Romney than a Gingrich victory would have.

Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:01:16 AM »

Are you sure about that? Santorum or Perry winning would give the momentum to make it a race in South Carolina, where they would likely draw most of their support from Gingrich, turning what is currently a two man race there into a three person race. Gingrich winning Iowa would solidify his position as a frontrunner and make it essentially a two-person race in South Carolina and Florida. While Romney still would have a shot, I think it'd be hard for him to win either against only Gingrich. Meh.

I didn't realize that we weren't working under the shared assumption that after Iowa, Gingrich will be a non-factor. He's squandered his chance at victory there and at this point he'll be lucky if he finishes fifth.

Gingrich doesn't have the money, the organization, the party support, or the endurance to withstand a poor performance in Iowa. If no one else breaks out, he may continue to draw double-digit support in the early Southern contests, but  I can't imagine his presence being much of an obstacle to a surging Santorum or Perry.

Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »

Any candidate who is doing well enough to take the nomination from Romney will, necessarily, have no problem beating him in South Carolina, Newt or no Newt.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies