Newt: "I'm going to be the nominee"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:29:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Newt: "I'm going to be the nominee"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Newt: "I'm going to be the nominee"  (Read 1511 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:32:51 PM »

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/12/gingrich-tells-abc-news-im-going-to-be-the-nominee/

A Newt with a Swag
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 06:39:03 PM »
« Edited: December 01, 2011, 06:41:22 PM by Politico »

"Guess what, Nancy! I'm going to be the nominee! Yippee! You can be my Secretary of (Global Warming) Defense, Nancy!"
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 06:57:31 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ijRyT29ws
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 07:01:26 PM »

The jmfcsts typically don't like this type of forwardness and arrogance. They need to put him in his place, and show him that they are in control, not him.
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »

The jmfcsts typically don't like this type of forwardness and arrogance. They need to put him in his place, and show him that they are in control, not him.

I was about to say. What happened to the plucky populism? Normally it detests this sort of arrogance.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:09:13 PM »

When and why did the jmfcsts create an unholy alliance with Nancy Pelosi on global warming, anyway? Highly unexpected series of events...
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:27:33 PM »

I don't know what Jmfcst's personal views are on the topic, But some people of faith think of it as taking care of the planet God gave us.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »

I don't know what Jmfcst's personal views are on the topic, But some people of faith think of it as taking care of the planet God gave us.

Yes, but do the jmfcsts understand what a global carbon tax (or cap-and-trade) would mean? They are supporting a tax that would screw everybody, jmfcsts included...
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 07:32:29 PM »

Let's check back in a month and see if this is still so.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 07:36:16 PM »

I actually believe Newt.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 09:28:36 PM »

Sadly, this may be one of the few things that come from his mouth that is actually true.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »

I love the cockiness only because it will infuriate the Romney campaign. Even better is how Newt is apparently telling his team (I guess all six of them) not to attack Mitt. Patronizing Romney is awesome.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 09:43:29 PM »

...If that's what the GOP wants, then go for it.  I'm still somewhat in shock by this course of events, but it's not the worst thing in the world for the Democratic Party, and it certainly guarantees a fun election season.

A challenge: Say the phrase "President Newt Gingrich" aloud, and try not to laugh, smirk, chuckle, etc.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 09:57:27 PM »

A challenge: Say the phrase "President Newt Gingrich" aloud, and try not to laugh, smirk, chuckle, etc.
Got it on my fourth try.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:00:15 PM »

Got it on my fourth try.

Really? You're pretty good at this. It took me 9
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 10:33:18 PM »

If Bachmann or Cain says it, they're crazy, when Gingrich says it, he's arrogant.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »

I love the cockiness only because it will infuriate the Romney campaign. Even better is how Newt is apparently telling his team (I guess all six of them) not to attack Mitt. Patronizing Romney is awesome.

Newt doesn't need to attack Mitt.  Barack is doing that for him.  Unless the Democrats have something juicy to pin on Newt, they are acting as if they never heard the saying "Be careful what you wish for."  Newt is a riskier candidate than Mitt, with both greater upside and downside potential than Mitt, but as I see the race, given a predictable candidate such as Mitt to run against and an economy that continues to slowly improve, Obama is likely to win, tho by not as much as in 2008.  Against Newt ... while a Dole result is possible, so is a Clinton.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »

Newt doesn't need to attack Mitt.  Barack is doing that for him.  Unless the Democrats have something juicy to pin on Newt, they are acting as if they never heard the saying "Be careful what you wish for."  Newt is a riskier candidate than Mitt, with both greater upside and downside potential than Mitt, but as I see the race, given a predictable candidate such as Mitt to run against and an economy that continues to slowly improve, Obama is likely to win, tho by not as much as in 2008.  Against Newt ... while a Dole result is possible, so is a Clinton.

Newt angers the Democratic base and isn't as popular with independents, so how do you figure he has greater upside potential? What've you got to back up that claim?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »

Newt angers the Democratic base and isn't as popular with independents, so how do you figure he has greater upside potential? What've you got to back up that claim?

Probably higher GOP turnout, compared to Romney's "meh?"
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »

Newt doesn't need to attack Mitt.  Barack is doing that for him.  Unless the Democrats have something juicy to pin on Newt, they are acting as if they never heard the saying "Be careful what you wish for."  Newt is a riskier candidate than Mitt, with both greater upside and downside potential than Mitt, but as I see the race, given a predictable candidate such as Mitt to run against and an economy that continues to slowly improve, Obama is likely to win, tho by not as much as in 2008.  Against Newt ... while a Dole result is possible, so is a Clinton.

Probably higher GOP turnout, compared to Romney's "meh?"

I don't buy it. I think Republicans are going to turn out anyway due to their dislike of the Democratic president. Sure, they'll whine a bit, but ultimately Romney's preferable to a baby-killer or whatever.

Ernest, I have to admit don't see that Gingrich has any upside as a candidate. He's divisive, unpleasantly combative and has an apparently endless amount of baggage. I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 10:58:39 PM »

Ernest, I have to admit don't see that Gingrich has any upside as a candidate. He's divisive, unpleasantly combative and has an apparently endless amount of baggage. I'd be interested to hear your reasoning.

He comes across as a really smart guy, has ideas and is blunt. Sure, the bluntness adds to his image as an unpleasant figure but being direct is also admired these days. Obama talked a good game in 2008. Look at what that got us. Like it or not, Independent voters feel that way today.

But if Newt wins, it won't be mainly based on his positive attributes. 9% unemployment and Obama's perceived ineptitude are two pretty big gifts.
Stardust
Rookie
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 11:03:27 PM »

I never really found Newt to come across as very intelligent, to be honest. Maybe that's because I've read his thesis and I know that it was sloppy, or I've read excerpts of his books and found them terrible. Newt's 'intellectualism' is, by and large, a myth. He's not an idiot, but he's certainly not the reincarnation of Woodrow Wilson, either.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 11:12:54 PM »

I like it.

I still don't trust the bastard, and I hope he's not the nominee.  But I do admire the cockiness, on some level.  I'd assume that such pronouncements do more good than harm for candidates.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2011, 01:13:41 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 01:18:26 AM by True Federalist »

He's a better debater, and debates have been important this cycle.  He'll do better at firing up the base than Romney will, and that is important.  He's certainly not the best possible candidate for the Republicans, but of those running, he is.  His smugness could be a problem, but if he wins, he'll be facing Obama who has his own problems with being too smug.  Of all the potential Democrats for him to run against, Obama is probably the one Newt does best against.  He certainly would not do well against Hillary if she were the one running for reelection.

As I freely admit, he's a risk, but unless the GOP is prepared to gamble that the economy definitely will be back in a recession by November, I think they need to gamble.  Mitt guarantees that the GOP will not be blown out, but unless the economy goes in the tank, I don't think he can win.  If the economy does go in the tank, then almost any Republican could win.  Conversely, if the recovery actually becomes something other than anemic, I don't think the Republicans have a single winner out of those running.

Also, if we do continue to have an anemic recovery then we need to have a period of undivided government so that it can actually so something.  Since the Dems will not be taking back the House and will likely lose the Senate in that situation, that means the Republicans are the only hope for undivided government.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 03:07:39 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2011, 06:14:59 AM by Politico »

...If that's what the GOP wants, then go for it.  I'm still somewhat in shock by this course of events, but it's not the worst thing in the world for the Democratic Party, and it certainly guarantees a fun election season.

I cannot do it. It is only slightly less absurd than President Dan Quayle or President Dick Gephardt.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies