Western Canada and free trade with the U.S. in the 1911 and 1988 elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:32:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  Western Canada and free trade with the U.S. in the 1911 and 1988 elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Western Canada and free trade with the U.S. in the 1911 and 1988 elections  (Read 6813 times)
Foucaulf
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »

Interesting stuff. I hastily paint "tariff reduction" and "market access" under the brush of "free trade", but that's a rather anachronistic way to view things. And I think arguments like yours can serve to undermine free trade as a "goal in itself", since the term is really a categorization of differing economic policies.

I have a comment about the paper's organization, though. You should make the arguments the unambiguous focus of the paper. Change the thesis so it becomes "analyze and contrast the arguments used in favour of freer trade by western Canadians in both the 1911 and 1988 elections." By that reasoning, the election results should not start off each section, but rather as statistic that wrap up the discussion.

So, instead of having the results of 1911 as paragraph 2, you should combine it with the latter sentences of paragraph 4 to form a new paragraph. The debate of 1988 should precede the results of the election, after which you can discuss the NEP as a factor.

(That, and you spelled Mackenzie King "Mackenize King"...)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies