France, alternate elections - requests
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:43:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  France, alternate elections - requests
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: France, alternate elections - requests  (Read 16252 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 10:40:04 AM »

That's a pretty strange map... Can you tell us more about the details ? I guess working class areas (Nord, Haute-Normandie, Lorraine) are strong NDP areas, so are rural areas of progressive tradition (Limousin et al), but what's up with Liberal strength in the Southwest ? Overall, they should be concentrated in cities (indeed there are a few red spots).

Great map anyways. Some other alternate-country scenari should be fun (UK 2010, Germany 2005, Spain 2008, Ireland 2011, Switzerland 2011, Denmark 2011... my favorite should probably be Italy 1976 Wink)

As I touched on, I imagine the Radical SW to be a Liberal base. My theory is founded on a tradition of individual land-ownership, historical protest at a political elite which would probably be Tory, anti-clericalism. Champagne would probably have been Liberal for similar reasons up until the 1950s or something. Landes might be wrong though, it's a place of heavy sharecropping and might be more NDP instead.

I see, that's original but it makes sense. Wink

Before I post my Canada 2000 map, here's a map based on UNS. Adding whatever percentage to Le Pen 2002-R2 to make him win the election with 50.01%. Which might be a fun premise for a nightmarish ASB timeline which leads to a Balkanized France.

What a horrendous map... Tongue Not very surprising, though. I'd like to see a 3-way tie between parliamentary left, parliamentary right and FN, based on an election like 2002, 1997 legislative or 1995, whatever you prefer. Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 11:13:24 AM »

Before I post my Canada 2000 map, here's a map based on UNS. Adding whatever percentage to Le Pen 2002-R2 to make him win the election with 50.01%. Which might be a fun premise for a nightmarish ASB timeline which leads to a Balkanized France.

What a horrendous map... Tongue Not very surprising, though. I'd like to see a 3-way tie between parliamentary left, parliamentary right and FN, based on an election like 2002, 1997 legislative or 1995, whatever you prefer. Smiley

I found it interesting that Longwy would have voted Chirac over Le Pen.

I'll see what I can do a UNS based on 2002 or 1997. I might actually take the Le Pen wins to a timeline where the FN then wins the legislative elections Smiley
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18:32 AM »

Thanks!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »

It's interesting how badly Le Pen did throughout all of Paris. I would have thought that he could have done relatively well in areas with a lot of immigrants.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 12:42:54 AM »

Excellent maps!

Two requests, good sir:

Would you be able to do Kennedy versus Nixon? (1960)

Also, would you be able to do Gore versus Nader? (2000)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »

It's interesting how badly Le Pen did throughout all of Paris. I would have thought that he could have done relatively well in areas with a lot of immigrants.

The whites who live in parts of Paris with the most non-whites often tend to be more well-off than we think or gentrified bobos. That being said, the FN in 2002 still generally polled well in those places.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2011, 01:14:11 PM »

Wait, are you using any math here, or just coloring in random places?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »

Wait, are you using any math here, or just coloring in random places?

As I said, that map was based on UNS.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2011, 06:06:38 PM »

Here's gay marriage at 57% support:

Making heads or tails of which places would vote NO was really hard. I assumed the most rural Catholic places and rural right-wing places in the east.

My next project is France with Canadian parties (sans Bloc).

Thanks, that's really interesting! I tried to make one related to an old thread but it was really difficult to figure out...

I just wonder why do you think the rather right-wing Charentes-Maritimes would vote more in favor of same-sex marriage than the more urban and left-wing Vienne? I also have a hard time understanding why Savoie would be that socially liberal (more than 60% in favor of gay marriage here, really?) and on the other hand I'm a little skeptical about the "no" vote in Aveyron and Cantal, but that's not a very educated guess Wink .

What do you think a death penalty referendum map would look like? I'm not asking you another map, but I really don't know if we would find the same rural vs. urban divide in this case...

Yeah, maybe Vienne should be above 60%, but Charentes-Maritimes is above 60% because of La Rochelle. I've always felt Savoie to be way more socially left-wing than it is economically, but I might be wrong on the intensity of support. I don't really know how bourgeois snobs would react to gay marriage: would it be "meh, who cares" or "cool" or "Sainte mere de Dieu! Teh gays!"

Mmmm, maybe Aube, Manche and even Moselle and Alpes-Maritimes would be "no" areas. Jura could be contested too.
Aveyron may be just in favour of "yes". Aisne too.
Haute-Savoie would be more contested.

As for Corsica, honestly, it's very difficult, but there would be a great resistance to gay marriage, I think, whatever political leanings... Tongue
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2011, 06:09:16 PM »

I found it interesting that Longwy would have voted Chirac over Le Pen.

I'll see what I can do a UNS based on 2002 or 1997. I might actually take the Le Pen wins to a timeline where the FN then wins the legislative elections Smiley

Wobnderful and amazing map, Hash ! Thanks a lot !

Le Pen's weakness in Val-de-Marne is striking.
And Garonne valley is still fascinating.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »

I've just found this fantastic thread and, of course, I have some ideas, GREAT ones, of course Grin

Chaban-Delmas vs Mitterrand 1974 (with a razor-thin margin, like in RL)

Barre vs Mitterrand 1988 (with a national result a bit more balanced than in reality, whatever the final winner)

Giscard d'Estaing vs Rocard 1981 (with a national result similar to the real one)

Pompidou vs Mendès-France 1969 (Pompidou small winner, for example)

Bayrou vs Royal 2007 (not so easy...) (let's say with Bayrou winning as great as Sarkozy)

Sarkozy vs Bayrou 2007 (same overall result)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »

And if you are really bored (Wink), a 1st-round Delors in 1995 would be fine, as a 1st-round Mendès-France in 1965.

A Coluche in 1981 would be very challenging: some sort of Laguiller+Le Pen in terms of relative strength ?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »

What does "ASB" mean?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 01:15:23 PM »

My source has returned!

Here's Chaban-Mitterrand

I make most of these maps using a mix of personal common sense and then create a variable in the CDSP's mapping tool. In this case, I've applied a UNS in the first round to give Chaban 24.5% and Giscard 23%. I then tweaked things a bit assuming a strong Giscard transfer to Chaban and some 1% from Royer (a poor transfer) and added a final UNS to that to give 50.5% to Chaban. The final result is a pretty amusing half-assed return of the old Gaullist map losing the working-class north but saving the Occupied Zone along the Atlantic.

Savoie, Marne, Seine-et-Marne, Hauts-de-Seine, Haute-Saone, Belfort, Jura, Landes and Puy de Dome are pretty much on a knife's edge.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 01:40:35 PM »

Would you be able to do Kennedy versus Nixon? (1960)

This was a very interesting challenge, because of Kennedy's Catholicism and the fact that French politics in 1960 were basically structured along religious clerical-anticlerical lines. Kennedy being Catholic and not a CINO (well, yeah, we f**cked a lot, but the Kennedys were pretty Papist) at that would have done very well in France. Here's my idea of a Kennedy victory, perhaps at 51-52% or whereabouts:

Basically Kennedy does phenomenally well in Catholic working-class areas, holds non-Catholic working-class areas and the traditional "Democratic base" in the old otl Communist C. Alsace, Bretagne, Anjou, Maine are hard to determine: would they remain wary of the traditionally anticlerical Democrats or would they embrace the Catholic Kennedy?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011, 02:25:59 PM »

Very interesting maps. Smiley
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2012, 03:34:57 AM »

My source has returned!

Here's Chaban-Mitterrand

I make most of these maps using a mix of personal common sense and then create a variable in the CDSP's mapping tool. In this case, I've applied a UNS in the first round to give Chaban 24.5% and Giscard 23%. I then tweaked things a bit assuming a strong Giscard transfer to Chaban and some 1% from Royer (a poor transfer) and added a final UNS to that to give 50.5% to Chaban. The final result is a pretty amusing half-assed return of the old Gaullist map losing the working-class north but saving the Occupied Zone along the Atlantic.

Savoie, Marne, Seine-et-Marne, Hauts-de-Seine, Haute-Saone, Belfort, Jura, Landes and Puy de Dome are pretty much on a knife's edge.

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC !
REALLY !
It's already a very "modern" map for the time. I like it.

Is Lot-et-Garonne also on the edge ?
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2012, 05:08:43 AM »

I'd like to second two scenarios
-Rocard vs. VGE (1981)
-1995 with Delors
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2012, 12:26:23 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2012, 12:28:02 PM by Hermione »

Sorry for not taking up remaining requests, but one day, I will. In the meantime, since it's primary flavour in the US, what if France could vote in the US primaries?

I'm assuming basically a national primary, a mix of France being the US - thus the French results reflecting otl results - and France being part of the US - thus a normal primary state. I'm assuming a fairly closed primary electorate composed of:
Reps: NC, UMP, most of the FN and MPF
Dem: MD, EELV, PRG, most of the PS, some Commies, few Trots

I make an effort to give at least one win to each major candidate which is in consideration.

To kick off with the 2012 GOP primaries:

Rick Perry, Michele Bachmann are not taken into account.

I can take requests for past primaries.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2012, 12:47:29 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2012, 12:49:56 PM by Antonio V »

Aren't you a big generous with Gingrich ? I know there was a thread about his being a typical French politician, but policy-wise I'd still have a hard time seeing him so strong among moderate "pompidolian" right-wingers in the center. In his stead, Santorum could fare a little better in catholic France.

Why are Meuse and Haute-Marne supporting Paul ?

Anyways, I'd like to see more of those primary maps.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2012, 01:21:16 PM »

Aren't you a big generous with Gingrich ? I know there was a thread about his being a typical French politician, but policy-wise I'd still have a hard time seeing him so strong among moderate "pompidolian" right-wingers in the center. In his stead, Santorum could fare a little better in catholic France.

In RL, Romney would win a landslide, but I'm kind of trying to create a map close to otl American results. But, yes, I might have overestimated Gingrich there, but it isn't natural Romster land - its right-wingers are rural and not affluent moderate suburbanites.

A part of the FN electorate, specifically the hybrid type (type 2-3 hybrid) would be quite favourable to Paul. A conservative-libertarian half-populist candidate like Paul would be a good fit for 'isolated' rural areas in parts of the diagonale du vide where there's a strong anti-elitist and populist sentiment. It's perhaps not all that unlike Coos or Arostook Counties...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2012, 01:24:11 PM »

In RL, Romney would win a landslide, but I'm kind of trying to create a map close to otl American results. But, yes, I might have overestimated Gingrich there, but it isn't natural Romster land - its right-wingers are rural and not affluent moderate suburbanites.

A part of the FN electorate, specifically the hybrid type (type 2-3 hybrid) would be quite favourable to Paul. A conservative-libertarian half-populist candidate like Paul would be a good fit for 'isolated' rural areas in parts of the diagonale du vide where there's a strong anti-elitist and populist sentiment. It's perhaps not all that unlike Coos or Arostook Counties...

I see. Nice experiment anyways, I hope more will follow.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »

I'll bore you a bit with the 2008 GOP primaries before publishing 2008 Dem primaries.

Rudy Giuliani is not taken into account.

A note on Corsica: I've just assumed they'd vote for the establishment candidate. It's too hard otherwise.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »

Other GOP maps:

Forbes, Bauer and Keyes are obviously not taken into account.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:43 PM »

Here's an amusing one: 1968 D, assuming a Gene vs. Bobby contest.

Being generous with McCarthy... RFK would win a landslide in a 'French primary'
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies