VOTE
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:57:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  VOTE
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: VOTE  (Read 19393 times)
Demrepdan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2003, 07:04:59 PM »
« edited: December 05, 2003, 07:05:29 PM by Demrepdan »

the only person i know in your voting record is durbin
LOL. The only ones I know in yours is Governor Granholm and Al Gore.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2003, 07:59:48 PM »

My voting record:

2000: Pres: Al gore (D)
Senate: Hillary Clinton (D)

1998 Senate: Charles Schumer (D)

1996: Bill Clinton (D)
1994: DP Moynihan (D)

1992: Perot (I)
Sen AL D'mato (R)

I can't remember much else.
Demrepdan

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2003, 08:36:08 PM »

My voting record:

2000: Pres: Al gore (D)
Senate: Hillary Clinton (D)

1998 Senate: Charles Schumer (D)

1996: Bill Clinton (D)
1994: DP Moynihan (D)

1992: Perot (I)
Sen AL D'mato (R)

I can't remember much else.

You voted for Perot in 1992?!?! How could you?
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2003, 01:44:40 AM »

Amen to that! Greater interest and participation in politics by everyone would definitely be a good thing.

I have no problem with low turnout.  Better the decision be made by people who are motivated to vote and at least presumably moderately well-informed.
Lt. Gov. Immy
Immy

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2003, 04:01:15 AM »

Of course I'm going to vote and encourage as many of my friends to as well.  But I do live in one of the least competative states around, so my vote really doesn't count.  Anyway, here's my very short record (turned 18 in August 2002)...

Governor -Jerry Brady (D) lost
Senator- Alan Blinken (D) lost
Representative- Betty Richardson (D) lost

City Council- Mark Arneson (D) lost

As you can see I'm not very good at picking winners.  There were several lesser offices and initiatives during and between both elections that I picked correctly, but not many.  I vote straight Democrat, except if there isn't one then I vote Libertarian.
Demrepdan

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2003, 04:02:58 AM »

I have no problem with low turnout.  Better the decision be made by people who are motivated to vote and at least presumably moderately well-informed.
Well, I agree. However, EVERYONE should be motivated to vote, and EVERYONE should be moderately well-informed. The ones that are NOT moderately well-informed and not motivated...DON'T vote, so you don't have to worry about them. I don't think the main concern should be to get everyone out to vote, but to indeed motivate them in order to bring them to the voting booths, and from motivation comes interest, and from that people become more well-informed. That's the key to high voter turn out.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2003, 04:04:21 AM »

Voting straight Democratic in Idaho guarantees, unfortunately, that you will lose more than you will win...
Demrepdan

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2003, 04:06:28 AM »

Of course I'm going to vote and encourage as many of my friends to as well.  But I do live in one of the least competative states around, so my vote really doesn't count.  
Your vote always counts....

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ha ha. Just because they didn't win, doesn't mean you didn't pick the "correct candidate" (i.e. the Democrat) Wink
TomAtPitt
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2003, 08:01:20 PM »

2002- Maryland:

Governor Robert Ehrlich(R)- Won
Rep. Connie Morella(R)- Lost

2003- Pennsylvania:

Jim Roddey (R)- Lost
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2003, 08:21:12 PM »

The first election in which I voted was the 1980 presidential election.  My votes in presidential elections have been as follows:

1980 - Reagan - Rep. (won)
1984 - Reagan - Rep.  (won)
1988 - Bush - Rep. (won)
1992 - Bush - Rep.  (lost)
1996 - Dole - Rep.  (lost)
2000 - Bush - Rep.  (won)

In 2002, my votes were as follows:

Governor - Rowland - Rep. (won)
Congress - Shays - Rep. (won)
State Senate - McKinney - Rep. (won)
State Rep. - Tymniak - Rep. (won)

In my local elections this year, I voted for the Democratic candidates for the top spot, and they won.

On the local level, I switch parties depending upon the candidate, and at that level, there is really little difference between the two parties.  In my town, you have to talk the Republican talk to win (low taxes, low crime, etc.) and there is no constituency for standard Democratic issues, since the town is middle to high income and lily white.

But at the state and federal level, I vote nearly exclusively for Republicans.  At the state level, the Democrats in the legislature are continuously pushing for higher spending and higher taxes, and even if I like an individual Democratic candidate, a vote for him/her is only giving more power to the leaders of the party.  At the federal level, I would never vote to give more power to people like Hillary Clinton, Barbara Boxer and Maxine Waters.

Overall, I have probably voted for more winners than losers, but I never actually went back and checked.
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2003, 08:48:09 PM »

My expectation is that everyone on this forum is motivated (and indeed a bit passionate) about politics and will vote in the upcoming elections.  I am generally very dissappointed in the low voter-turnout - often caused by busy schedules (especially amongst the many professionals that I know), cynicism (my grandfather used to say that all politicians are "crooks"), and the general feeling that their vote doesn't count.  If anyone paid attention to the 2000 election (anyone ? Smiley, I hope that the never-ending saga put that myth to rest (although I'll grant that the Democrats in Idaho have an uphill battle at the presidential level).  

One of the primary reasons that I created this site was to do a little something to help educate the public with specific regard  to presidential elections.  For those of you that have been visiting since 1999, I created, and will do so again for 2004, a candidate list for the general election and platform positions - with the intent that visitors can make an informed decision for whom to vote (and demrepdan, I don't limit it to Republicans and Democrats Smiley

As for my voting history, I'm really an independent and look at the strenghts of individual candidates (especially since my political ideology spans many parties, depending on the issue) -> in the 2002 election here in Massachusetts, I voted for 2 Democrats, 1 republican, 1 Libertarian, 1 independent, and 1 Whig (strange as it may seem).  I will also be voting in the democratic primary (as "unenrolled" voters - the MA equivalent of "independent" - are able to cast their ballots in any primary).

I would also encourage you to discuss voting with people you know who are non-voters, get them interested in the process, and coax them to the polls.  I would also like to hear some success stories in this area.  Myself, I was able to convince several of my friends that generally did not vote - to do so.
Canadian observer
Rookie

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2003, 11:24:15 PM »

The poll doesn't include an alternative response : I can't, I'm not citizen Wink

Anyway I encourage all American citizens over 18 to vote Smiley
Demrepdan

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2003, 12:20:37 AM »

(and demrepdan, I don't limit it to Republicans and Democrats Smiley
lol. I assume you're referring to one of my previous posts, in which I said, "This country has two parties, the Democrats and Republicans. Pick one or shut up."

That does hold some truth in the way I think, because I think that voting for third parties damages candidates who have a potential to win (i.e The way Nader hurt Gore in 2000). But then again, sometimes the third party candidate is often more likeable or better to vote for than the Democrat or Republican.

It is kind of sad, how this country is controlled by only two parties. I would actually like to see more big third party victories. Jesse Ventura is proof that it can be done
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2003, 04:45:05 AM »

They Whig's are still around?!?!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2003, 11:35:49 AM »

I voted for Gore in 2000 (I just missed being able to vote in 1996 by 2 months).
In 2002, I voted for Jennifer Granholm for Governor, Carl Levin for the U.S. Senate, and John Dingell for the U.S. House, although I voted for Lynn Rivers in the incumbent vs. incumbent primary. I've since moved from the 15th district to the 1st district. All Dems, and all won (except Rivers in the primary)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2003, 11:47:17 AM »

I'll be voting for Bush in 2004.

I'll also be voting Republican in every other race for my state, which is (just like the rest of the south--thankfully) turning more and more Republican every day.
jravnsbo

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2003, 10:17:17 AM »

definately will be voting and for Bush.  On a border now and will likely move within next few months.  But gives me good regional coverage.

VOTE FOR BUSH!
John

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2003, 01:55:27 PM »

I'll be voting for Bush in 2004.

I'll also be voting Republican in every other race for my state, which is (just like the rest of the south--thankfully) turning more and more Republican every day.
Bush is the Man to vote for 04
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2003, 02:04:47 PM »

I'll definitely vote in 2004.

Who I vote for depends on the Democratic nominee and the developments of the next several months.  Right now here's my voting preferences (first is my top, last is my least preferred candidate).

John Kerry
John Edwards
Richard Gephardt
Howard Dean
Carol Mosley-Braun
Wesley Clark
Joe Leiberman
George Bush
Dennis Kucinich
Al Sharpton
Demrepdan

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2003, 05:59:36 PM »

definately will be voting and for Bush.  On a border now and will likely move within next few months.  But gives me good regional coverage.

VOTE FOR BUSH!

Jravnsbo and John, why don't you put up your avatar, declaring yourself a Republican?
jravnsbo

« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2003, 09:18:26 AM »

well I'm ona  border state and probably will be moving soon, so thought I'd wait till I moved or then people would ask why did your state switch.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2003, 10:46:50 PM »

Nomatter what ANYbody says, IM VOTING, and im voting Democrat
no matter who the DEM nominee turns out to be?
Demrepdan

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2003, 11:09:09 PM »

Anybody but Bush....
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2003, 03:29:36 PM »

anyone........OK but lyndon larouche
Demrepdan

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2003, 11:39:08 PM »

Unforuntaly, the election is Nov. 2.
I turn 18 on Nov. 14!!

NO!!!!!!!!!

lol  That's bad luck Harry, I'm sorry. Missing the election by just 12 days like that. Maybe you should complain to your parents, and tell them you should have been born sooner. Wink

If it makes you feel any better, I missed the 2000 election by 11 months.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies